Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 24, 2022, 09:44:58 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 1345
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4349594 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3525 : June 03, 2008, 09:46:11 AM »

The 39 Steps - An almost perfect thriller by the Master (I didn't like the finale, as the McGuffin is too stupid in my opinion. Or maybe I don't like the actor playing it). It gets 9\10  only because Hotchcock surpassed himself in later works.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3526 : June 03, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »

The Lady Vanishes - Not as good as I remember it was. The search on the train is up to Hitchcock's best standards, but The comedy in the beginning and expecially the awkward final siege are stuff to  forget.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3527 : June 03, 2008, 01:12:21 PM »

War of the Worlds (2005) - 7/10
Speedy and entertaining buil-up to bland finale. Might have enjoyed the movie more on big screen.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #3528 : June 03, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

War of the Worlds (2005) - 7/10
Speedy and entertaining buil-up to bland finale. Might have enjoyed the movie more on big screen.

Once they reach the cabin with Tim Robbins it all goes downhill.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3529 : June 03, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »

Once they reach the cabin with Tim Robbins it all goes downhill.
Yeah, you summed it up.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3530 : June 03, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »

The 39 Steps - An almost perfect thriller by the Master (I didn't like the finale, as the McGuffin is too stupid in my opinion. Or maybe I don't like the actor playing it). It gets 9\10  only because Hotchcock surpassed himself in later works.
I like the ending, but fair enough. After AH remade the film several times (Young and Innocent, Saboteur, NxNW) he was able to finally get it perfect.
The Lady Vanishes - Not as good as I remember it was. The search on the train is up to Hitchcock's best standards, but The comedy in the beginning and expecially the awkward final siege are stuff to  forget.
There's a payoff in the siege scene when Charters and Caldicott show their stuff. Up to that point, they've been comic characters, but suddenly we see that when the group is in trouble, they've got the moxy to stand up to the threat. This only works if you can enjoy the pair's comedy antics first, so as to better appreciate their transformation at the end. If you don't think they're funny to begin with, you don't really get the film. Hitchcock inherited the characters (and their dialogue) from the scriptwriters, Gilliat and Launder, who themselves went on to be a directing team, so it's probably more accurate to think of TLV as not strictly a Hitchcock picture, but more of a Hitchcock-Gilliat-Launder picture (If you can overcome your auteurist superstitions).

Tiltoli's appraisals aren't bad. I'd give them a collective score of 8/10.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Whalestoe

« #3531 : June 03, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »

John McCain's New Orleans Speech, or "A Leader We Can Believe In" - 0/10

Wow. That sucked. I guess he gave tuna sandwiches and peanut brittle out to that crowd. No wonder they were booing and saying. 'Nooo!' The food stuffs ran out. Yikes. Tell me when this man learns to really smile, and NOT just give this shit eating grin.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3532 : June 03, 2008, 06:08:49 PM »

If you don't think they're funny to begin with, you don't really get the film.

I declare myself guilty: you can scale down your assessment of my reviews to 7\10. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3533 : June 03, 2008, 06:35:46 PM »

North By Northwest - What is not working with this? Cary Grant, firstly. He's too old for the part and it shows. How can he be supposed to have a mother who looks as old or younger than him? And then, he is as far from ordinary as can be: never a single hair out of place. Sure, he still dominates the scene but that works at the movie's disadvantage: one wonders how police can miss him constantly in the train, at the station. Lemmon would have been the best choice. The story is flimsy even for Hitchcock  and the coincidences and unverismilitudes are too many to be swallowed easily: why the hell you need a rare statue to hide a microfilm in? How can Grant wear smartly the uniform of a man half his size? How can he turn up with some trouser pockets he just received new from a shop with: 1) small stones 2) a pencil 3) his own matchbook? Anyway the movie has good dialogues and remarkable visuals and 2 memorable scenes (the opening credits being one). 8\10
P.S. I think I noticed for the first time 2) that Landau and Mason are supposed to be (ex?) lovers  2) Warren Oates 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3534 : June 03, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »

Downfall - 8/10 - A very well-made, generally entertaining account of the last days of Adolf Hitler, played brilliantly by Bruno Ganz. Great acting and some harrowing scenes - particularly Magda Goebells' mass murder of her children - which show not only Hitler's depravity and insanity in his last days, but just how suicidally devoted many of his followers are. Probably overlong - after the main Nazis die, the film goes adrift - but for 95% of the length it's extremely well-made and rivetting.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Panache

« #3535 : June 03, 2008, 06:47:06 PM »

John McCain's New Orleans Speech, or "A Leader We Can Believe In" - 0/10

Wow. That sucked. I guess he gave tuna sandwiches and peanut brittle out to that crowd. No wonder they were booing and saying. 'Nooo!' The food stuffs ran out. Yikes. Tell me when this man learns to really smile, and NOT just give this shit eating grin.

get used to th guy, hes gonna most likely be pres for th next 8 years- thanx to th dems throwin th race

might work out good tho, everbody fears old people- geezer like tht nex to th button, anything can happen, specially if he forgot his pills ;D   http://www.freewebs.com/fistful-of-leone/

« : July 26, 2008, 02:45:17 PM Panache »
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3536 : June 03, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »

Saving Private Ryan - I had postponed the vision of this until I could watch it on dvd and finally found a very cheap one (I don't like wasting money on Spielberg). The scene of the landing is as memorable as it was supposed to be, gonna watch it again some time. The scene of the sniper is maybe an hommage to Kubrick with a very original twist. The assault to the bunker, seen from afar, is also original, though maybe not quite effective as the other two. The battle for the bridge is also good, though coming last leaves a taste of seen already. If Spielberg had left the molasses apart I'd give it a 9\10. How can you begin and end, in the third millennium, a movie with the waving flag?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3537 : June 03, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »

North By Northwest - What is not working with this? Cary Grant, firstly. He's too old for the part and it shows. How can he be supposed to have a mother who looks as old or younger than him? And then, he is as far from ordinary as can be: never a single hair out of place. Sure, he still dominates the scene but that works at the movie's disadvantage: one wonders how police can miss him constantly in the train, at the station. Lemmon would have been the best choice. The story is flimsy even for Hitchcock  and the coincidences and unverismilitudes are too many to be swallowed easily: why the hell you need a rare statue to hide a microfilm in? How can Grant wear smartly the uniform of a man half his size? How can he turn up with some trouser pockets he just received new from a shop with: 1) small stones 2) a pencil 3) his own matchbook? Anyway the movie has good dialogues and remarkable visuals and 2 memorable scenes (the opening credits being one). 8\10
P.S. I think I noticed for the first time 2) that Landau and Mason are supposed to be (ex?) lovers  2) Warren Oates 
Wow, Warren Oates, really? Could you point him out to me? I've never noticed!

Your litany of all the "implausibles" is unassailable, but Hitchcock tells fairy tales. You either enjoy the stories and thus forgive all the nonsense, or you move on to other artists. You're right about the opening credits: some of Saul Bass's best stuff. Probably, though, you should have pointed out how good Bernard Herrmann's score is--I'm sure Phillip Glass got all his ideas from it.

Hey, I've long wanted to point this out. If you take the opening title card and rotate it anti-clockwise, it makes the lines look like railroad tracks that are headed in a NxNW direction:

Cool, huh? You're probably wondering why anyone should rotate the image in that way, in which case, this conversation is now over.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Whalestoe

« #3538 : June 03, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »

get used to th guy, hes gonna most likely be pres for th next 8 years- thanx to th dems throwin th race

might work out good tho, everbody fears old people- geezer like tht nex to th button, anything can happen, specially if he forgot his pills ;D

The Dems. throw the race? Yeah, right, in the right-wings dreams.

Panache

« #3539 : June 03, 2008, 07:25:52 PM »

The Dems. throw the race? Yeah, right, in the right-wings dreams.

whns th las time ya saw anything other thn a white middleag(or old  Man as prez

it don take a rocket scientist to figure out a rigged game

an it aint in my dreams, nightmares maybe

we don elect leaders anmore, Exxon does   http://www.freewebs.com/fistful-of-leone/

« : July 26, 2008, 02:46:02 PM Panache »
: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 1345  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines