Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2021, 12:09:46 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 1339
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4258931 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3330 : May 08, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »

The Buccaneer - 5/10 - Has a huge cast of stars and recognizable faces (Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston, Charles Boyer, Claire Bloom, and Inger Stevens, along with Henry Brandon, Harry Morgan, Jack Pennick, and "Woodrow Strode" way down the cast list) and an interesting subject (Jean Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans). But, the whole film was shot on soundstages... if you couldn't guess, that seriously detracts from the film. With the flashy Technicolor, it makes the story look even more stagey and fake than it already is. Perhaps it would have worked better in black and white, but then perhaps it would have worked best shot on actual locations... Performances are adequate; Heston is great fun as Andrew Jackson but he doesn't really appear until the last forty minutes. Perhaps notable as the only film directed by Anthony Quinn.

« : May 08, 2008, 03:11:26 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #3331 : May 08, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »

Boom Town - 4/5

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #3332 : May 08, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »

Boom Town - 4/5

A flawed movie but an enjoyable one at that. There are a couple really nice sequences involving oil disasters and Gable/Tracy make quite the duo.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3333 : May 08, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »

Lars And The Real Girl  6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
sargatanas
Gunslinger

« #3334 : May 08, 2008, 08:50:20 PM »

the president's analyst.  w/ james coburn 

{ firing a machine gun }" take THAT you hostile son of bitch !" >:(

not for the weak.... perhaps not for the strong

« : May 08, 2008, 09:27:49 PM BTW »
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #3335 : May 09, 2008, 03:38:16 AM »

Lifeboat - 8/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3336 : May 09, 2008, 04:42:31 AM »

I watched about half of Resident Evil and Resident Evil Apocalypse last night. I haven't laughed so hard since I watched The Ruling Class, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional. ;D

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3337 : May 09, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »

I think said some time that Resident Evil is the worst movie I've ever witnessed... I don't know if that's still true but it sure comes pretty close ;D

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3338 : May 09, 2008, 11:28:01 AM »

Torn Curtain - 4/10 - My one word review: dull. Stupefyingly dull. Painfully dull. Horrendously dull. My excuse for watching this is that it was on TCM and there's nothing else to do. I give it an extra star or two because it's competently directed and the fight scene between Paul Newman and his East German bodyguard is pretty good. Otherwise, it was terrible. The last forty-five minutes were absolutely painful. To be fair, it's probably Hitchcock's most realistic movie, in that real life is often excrutiatingly boring. I might even bump it down to a 3 because I can think of virtually nothing positive to say. :-\

PS: What in the hell does the title have to do with anything?

« : May 09, 2008, 11:30:35 AM Groggy »

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #3339 : May 09, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

Never So Few (1959)  6/10

Part of the Sinatra star of the month programming on TCM.  Seemed like it would be promising with direction by John Sturges and a cast that includes Sinatra, McQueen, Bronson, Paul Henreid, Gina Lollobrigida and Brian Donlevy.  The film was based on actual efforts by OSS officers in the jungles of occupied Burma during WWII, training and assisting the Burmese in their resistance efforts against the Japanese.  Included is an incident of Chinese under the leadership of local warlords with the backing of the government, killing and looting supplies provided by the allies for profit.  The subject matter could of been the basis for a great film.  The film just didn’t seem to come off.  I suspect there were a lot of historical inaccuracies. The script wasn’t particularly good.  The romance between Sinatra and Lollobrigida doesn’t fit in well to the story.  It becomes kind of amusing when she seems to always be a “visitor” in waiting when Sinatra is in the hospital or awaiting possible charges for his actions after disobeying orders in crossing the Chinese border.  There were some great action sequences.  Sinatra leads an attack on a Japanese air strip.  Also some great shots of Burma and local architecture.  I think what stands out are the supporting performances of Steve McQueen, and also Brian Donlevy in his brief screen time toward the end.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #3340 : May 09, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »

Never So Few (1959)  6/10

Part of the Sinatra star of the month programming on TCM.  Seemed like it would be promising with direction by John Sturges and a cast that includes Sinatra, McQueen, Bronson, Paul Henreid, Gina Lollobrigida and Brian Donlevy.  The film was based on actual efforts by OSS officers in the jungles of occupied Burma during WWII, training and assisting the Burmese in their resistance efforts against the Japanese.  Included is an incident of Chinese under the leadership of local warlords with the backing of the government, killing and looting supplies provided by the allies for profit.  The subject matter could of been the basis for a great film.  The film just didn’t seem to come off.  I suspect there were a lot of historical inaccuracies. The script wasn’t particularly good.  The romance between Sinatra and Lollobrigida doesn’t fit in well to the story.  It becomes kind of amusing when she seems to always be a “visitor” in waiting when Sinatra is in the hospital or awaiting possible charges for his actions after disobeying orders in crossing the Chinese border.  There were some great action sequences.  Sinatra leads an attack on a Japanese air strip.  Also some great shots of Burma and local architecture.  I think what stands out are the supporting performances of Steve McQueen, and also Brian Donlevy in his brief screen time toward the end.

I agree with this review, the romance should have been scrapped altogether. It might make an interesting film on its own, as it feels like a separate movie cut in the main story, it's that awkward. I do like the flow of the Sturges' movies I've seen, even if I don't find the movie particularly engaging. I really like Bad Day at Black Rock, that's perfect movie to showcase his gift for creating atmosphere.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #3341 : May 09, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »

Red Dawn (1984):7.5/10
admittedly, i had bad expectations for this. Luckily, once i got past the cheese factor i found a really entertaining action flick. Whats even more shocking was that there where actual moments of character depth  :o. Not common in a patrick swayze movie.

Full metal jacket (1987):9/10
gets better on multiple viewings  O0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3342 : May 10, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »

Lifeboat - 8/10
That's about right. The film is pretty strong in its own right, but interesting also as a precursor of Rear Window.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3343 : May 10, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

Torn Curtain - 4/10 - My one word review: dull. Stupefyingly dull. Painfully dull. Horrendously dull. My excuse for watching this is that it was on TCM and there's nothing else to do. I give it an extra star or two because it's competently directed and the fight scene between Paul Newman and his East German bodyguard is pretty good. Otherwise, it was terrible. The last forty-five minutes were absolutely painful. To be fair, it's probably Hitchcock's most realistic movie, in that real life is often excrutiatingly boring. I might even bump it down to a 3 because I can think of virtually nothing positive to say. :-\

PS: What in the hell does the title have to do with anything?
Well, it probably has something to do with the iron curtain being "torn" so that people can pass back and forth through it. Not exactly an inspired expression.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. This is one of AH's worst films and I can't stand to watch it all the way through. I wouldn't say it is completely devoid of interest, however: the scene where Paul Newman and the farm woman have to kill the security man is well done (a scene without any music). It aspires to a certain level of realism in that it shows just how difficult it can be to kill someone.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3344 : May 10, 2008, 04:12:51 AM »

That makes... a bit of sense, Jenkins.

I wouldn't say it is completely devoid of interest, however: the scene where Paul Newman and the farm woman have to kill the security man is well done (a scene without any music). It aspires to a certain level of realism in that it shows just how difficult it can be to kill someone.

You will note that I do mention this scene in my comment. That is an excellent scene, but it's about 4 minutes of a 125 minute film.

: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 1339  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines