Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2021, 01:52:22 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 1335
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4157862 )
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #3465 : May 25, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »

Well, I haven't been on the board in a while... Can't believe this is on page 250.

One movie I watched recently was "Wooden Crosses," made by the same French guy who did "Les Miserables" (Can't remember his name).  I'd give it an 8/10.  There are some brilliantly executed scenes, in this film whose plot is reminiscent of "All Quiet on the Western Front."  I found this movie got much grittier though.  I would recommend anybody who's a fan of that film to check this out.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #3466 : May 25, 2008, 07:34:57 PM »

One movie I watched recently was "Wooden Crosses," made by the same French guy who did "Les Miserables" (Can't remember his name).  I'd give it an 8/10.  There are some brilliantly executed scenes, in this film whose plot is reminiscent of "All Quiet on the Western Front."  I found this movie got much grittier though.  I would recommend anybody who's a fan of that film to check this out.
I agree, but it's a 9/10 in my book  O0. That ten day seige is really amazing, and whats even more amazing is that it came only a couple of years after the advent of sound in film.

BTW the french guy goes by the name of Raymond Bernard

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3467 : May 25, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 7/10 - Further comments will follow on the appropriate thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3468 : May 26, 2008, 06:35:03 AM »

Wings (1927) a silent epic about air aces in WWI Clare Bow actually shows some brief nudity. First Oscar ever for Best Picture, it was actually pretty good all in all kept me entertained 6/10 was on TCM this morning.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3469 : May 26, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »

Wings (1927) a silent epic about air aces in WWI Clare Bow actually shows some brief nudity. First Oscar ever for Best Picture, it was actually pretty good all in all kept me entertained 6/10 was on TCM this morning.
I see I gave it 8/10 when I watched it a couple of moths ago but now I wouldn't give it that high a rating (I remember thinking even then "why am I giving this this high rating?" ;D). The flying scenes feel terribly slow with all those intertitles!

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #3470 : May 26, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »

Days of Wine and Roses (1962) 8/10

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #3471 : May 27, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »

Five Graves to Cairo (1943) - 6/10
Von Stroheim was enjoyable as Rommel.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3472 : May 27, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

The Longest Day 7/10 story of the D-day invasion with an all star cast.  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3473 : May 27, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »

Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10 - B+ Hitchcock with a few loose ends and another title that doesn't quite seem to fit. Well-made and very entertaining, with Joseph Cotten appropriately charming and creepy as the psychotic Uncle Charlie. Teresa Wright is quite lovely as well.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3474 : May 27, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »

Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10 - B+ Hitchcock with a few loose ends and another title that doesn't quite seem to fit. Well-made and very entertaining, with Joseph Cotten appropriately charming and creepy as the psychotic Uncle Charlie. Teresa Wright is quite lovely as well.
Among Hitchcock enthusiasts this always gets high marks, yet I, something of an amateur Hitchcockian myself, find it mind-numbingly dull. I really hate the cast: I usually dislike Joe Cotten, but here find him insufferable, not credible as a murderer for a minute, completely unable to project menace. I also am very cool on Teresa Wright, not my idea of a woman at all. And don't get me started on Macdonald Carey, an absolute drip. The sudden love relationship that develops between his character and Miss Wright's comes out of nowhere and is completely unconvincing. The dynamic between Cotten and Wright makes no sense at all, either: once she knows her uncle is a murderer, there is no way in hell Young Charlie would keep it a secret or live in the same house with him. But even granting that, once Uncle Charlie decides to go away, he has absolutely no motive for murdering his niece, none whatsoever. So why does he try it, because it's expected of him? Add to all this the fact that Hitchcock, as an Englishman, had no feel for small-town American life, and that his presentation of an idyllic family makes me want to grab a tire iron and start swinging, and you have one of the most annoying "entertainments" ever devised. But as I say, mine is the minority opinion on this one. Others find plenty to like in it, I guess, something I find completely baffling. Well: de gustibus non est disputandum.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #3475 : May 28, 2008, 02:57:02 AM »

Deadline at Dawn (1946) - 4.5/10
Maybe the worst Film Noir I've seen. To be fair I was almost at sleep at some points, but I can't say if it was because of or regardless of the movie... The plot is intentionally freaking difficult to follow, yet the "twist" is anything but shocking. Couldn't really care for the characters, and the constant underlining of the guy being a "baby" that the girl has to protect was annoying. Anything but an overlooked masterpiece.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3476 : May 28, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »

Ever the contrarian, eh Jenkins? :D

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3477 : May 28, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »

What can I do? It's my nature.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Lac qui Parle

« #3478 : May 28, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »

I say, mine is the minority opinion on this one. Others find plenty to like in it, I guess, something I find completely baffling. Well: de gustibus non est disputandum.

I had to google your Latin.

Wow. Humbling. People are watching Hitchcock. The last movie I saw was “The Orphanage.” Which was great -- very intelligent story. It makes me curious about “Pan’s Labrynth” which Siskel and Ebert have been RAVING about and I have yet to see.

Hmm. Quick IMDB visit. For some reason I thought the two were from the same director, but I guess not.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #3479 : May 28, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »

The Lost Patrol (1934) 8/10  Early John Ford movie with Victor McLaglen as a sergeant of a patrol who must take command after the officer is killed.  To boot, the officer didn't tell anyone their orders.  Lost in the desert, the patrol forts up at an oasis as Arab snipers begin picking them off.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 1335  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines