Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:53:57 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5111574 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10830 : August 29, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »

For A Few Dollars More on a new LED flat screen TV WOW, 10/10, never looked better ;-)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #10831 : August 29, 2012, 07:45:09 AM »

For A Few Dollars More on a new LED flat screen TV WOW, 10/10, never looked better ;-)
Yes, it can, on plasma.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10832 : August 29, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »

You're alive Jenkins!?!

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10833 : August 29, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »

Been on vacation.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #10834 : August 29, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

Yes, it can, on plasma.

I've never had plasma (and I don't know jack about format wars), but according to one writer from PCMag.com http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp : in the LCD vs. LED vs. Plasma war.....  the current winner is LED  :P

of course, I am sure it all depends on what brand, size, model etc. you get

I have this LG  32" LED http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-32LV2400-led-tv (and I bought it dirt cheap off some dude I know who bought more items on Black Friday than he could sell on eBay  ;)) and it's beautiful  O0

(I know we're discussing picture quality, but if you're interested in energy efficiency, I have also read that LED costs far less electricity than does LCD, and  FAR FAR less  than plasma. This guy http://www.plasmavslcd.com/plasma-vs-lcd/ says that the LCD costs almost double to run than the LED does, and that the plasma costs almost 3 times as much as the LED does).

cj: is this your first HDTV or just your first LED screen?

« : August 29, 2012, 02:40:59 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10835 : August 29, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »

Lawless(2012) 9/10. The film Public Enemies wished it could have been. And seeing Jessica Chastain's tits in 4K was a treat. Nick Cave's soundtrack is a real toe tapper: I rushed right home and ordered a copy from amazon.

« : August 29, 2012, 05:57:22 PM dave jenkins »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10836 : August 29, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »

cj: is this your first HDTV or just your first LED screen?

Both, I sprung for it the day after the Sharp tube died, it was only $240 at Best Buy a 32" screen.

« : August 30, 2012, 01:34:19 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #10837 : August 30, 2012, 01:13:50 AM »

I've never had plasma (and I don't know jack about format wars), but according to one writer from PCMag.com http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp : in the LCD vs. LED vs. Plasma war.....  the current winner is LED  :P

That's not true according to nearly everyone I talked with recently. I even started a poll in a forum. Plasma is still the superior technology if you want the best picture quality, especially if you want to watch mainly movies on it. And when I compared TVs in the shops plasma looked indeed more natural than the LCD/LED stuff.
Only disadvantage is indeed a higher power consumption, but that costs only a fly-shit over a year. And you can't get a plasma beneath 42".

So I have bought me a Panasonic 42 " plasma recently.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10838 : August 30, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »

O0

« : August 30, 2012, 06:38:10 AM dave jenkins »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10839 : August 30, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »

Lawless(2012) 9/10. The film Public Enemies wished it could have been. And seeing Jessica Chastain's tits in 4K was a treat. Nick Cave's soundtrack is a real toe tapper: I rushed right home and ordered a copy from amazon.

Thanks. It's become an incredible chore to find a good movie in a theater these days (everything seems to be sequels or re-makes of sci-fi shit). I'll check this one out

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #10840 : August 30, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

So I have bought me a Panasonic 42 " plasma recently.

I Thought the Panasonic 42" plasma was discontinued? 1080p right?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #10841 : August 30, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »

I Thought the Panasonic 42" plasma was discontinued? 1080p right?

Nah, there is a new model since summer. And of course 1080p Full HD.

Got mine for half the price.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10842 : August 30, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »

Casablanca (1942) 10/10 3rd viewing, courtesy of Ingrid Bergman day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars.
Bogie and Bergman are awesome; Henreid is the worst of all the notable players.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10843 : August 30, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »

Bogie and Bergman are awesome; Henreid is the worst of all the notable players.

That goes without saying.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10844 : August 31, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »

That goes without saying.

Having Bogie's performance so thoroughly dominate the film takes away any possible conflict the viewer may have; there is absolutely no doubt that our heart is with Rick (despite being a pretty rotten character, compared to the noble Victor) because of the dominating performance by Bogie. (Of course, Bogie received first billing; however), but all 3 of them received above-the-title credits; therefore, I wonder if the producers actually intended that the audience's sympathies be so staunchly with Bogie all along, or if that was partially an unintended result of Henreid's performance being so average compared to the iconic performance by Bogie? I strongly suspect the former (since the script seems to heavily favor Rick), though that makes me wonder wtf they gave Henreid co-equal billing? Wikipedia says Henreid refused the role until he was promised the co-equal billing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casablanca_%28film%29#Cast although in retrospect that sort of seems laughable. However, considering that Bogie had only become a first-billed actor after High Sierra , released 1 year prior, does make me wonder a little whether or not the producers knew all along that Rick would completely dominate the film.

The greatest male/female pair of leading performances in a movie that I've ever seen are Jimmy Stewart/Doris Day in The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Bogie/Bergman in Casablanca.

Btw, I have one tiny quibble with a moment in the movie, it's the speech Victor gives Rick (while Victor is bandaging up his cut wrist) about how Rick can't run away from himself and try to convince himself of things he knows aren't true, etc. We already get that: we've seen that despite Rick's cold persona, he ultimately has frequently done the right thing when the moment called for it, so we already know that a lot of Rick's shitick is an act; having Victor stating what we already know is dumb. That's a minor quibble on a classic movie.

Also, when discussing the movie, people don't really speak of Capt. Renault in the same terms as they speak of Major Strasser, but Renault is actually as evil as any character who has ever appeared on screen. The fact that there are several actual Nazis in Casablanca, and Rains's funny and great performance, can mask this on initial viewings; but a funny murderer is no better than a stuffy one:  Renault is the banality of evil, and no better than the people wearing the swastika.

----------------

I also just saw The Sandpiper (1965), which I rate a 9/10 (and IMO a far better Elizabeth Taylor-Richard Burton movie than Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf; there too, in the love triangle in The Sandpiper between Burton, Taylor, and Eva Marie Saint, we really don't feel at all for Saint (she was a fine actress, but not given nearly the screen time that Taylor had, and a much more wholesome and less dominating character), so there is really very little conflict on the part of the viewer. As much as I enjoyed this movie, IMO it would have been a tad better if it had given some more time to the Burton-Saint relationship before Taylor entered the picture; that would have given the viewer some real conflict, since she is a very sweet character -- as well as a very good actress who delivers a fine performance, unlike Henreid in Casablanca. Of course, you can argue that if the audience had attained some sympathy for the Saint character, then it would have made us hate the Burton character for cheating on her, and not allowed us to actually connect emotionally with the Burton-Taylor relationship. Who knows  ^-^

« : August 31, 2012, 03:19:49 AM drinkanddestroy »

: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines