Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2021, 12:34:18 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1340
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4273799 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #10950 : September 29, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »

A Film Forum Double Feature!
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970). First DCP viewing. Grover Crisp, Sony's VP of Restorations-and-what-have-you was on hand to crow and he was entitled. I've only ever seen beat-up prints before, but this was beautiful: sharp, saturated colors, spotless. And Morricone's score as infectious as ever. According to Crisp this will be out on a Criterion blu-ray in 2013. He had other news as well: the LoA presentation at the NY Film Festival (showing tomorrow) will be in 6K. The one-day Fathom event next Thursday (4K or 2K, depending) will not be the only time the new restoration runs in theaters (a regular run is coming to a NY cinema soon). A DCP restoration of Olivier's Richard III is coming.

Glad to hear it'll be released on Criterion BR.  I've still never seen the movie cuz the dvd is not easy to get in America, so if I can't see it at Film Forum, it's not all that long to wait for the BR.

btw, have you ever been to the IFC Center? http://www.ifccenter.com/  It's another independent/classic movie theater I recently heard about, just a few blocks away from Film Forum,  but I've never been inside. I'm particularly wondering what the screen size and sound are like, as compared to Film Forum?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10951 : September 29, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »

I am really keen on seeing Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion. I watched about half an hour of it on a beat-up VHS with English dubbing. It was impossible to wring any enjoyment out of it. Great news DJ. O0

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10952 : September 30, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »

I Confess - 6/10 - Mediocre Hitchcock. It's another "wrong man" plot with a twist: Montgomery Clift is a priest so he can't spill the beans. Good thing the real killer stupidly exposes himself at the end. The story gimmick wears thin fast and without much stylistic interest (lots of religious iconography, a prolonged flashback) it amounts to very little.

The Small Back Room - 8/10 - Another wartime P&P drama with David Farrar as a scarred explosives expert. Provides a dark character study, showing the effects war on ordinary people. P&P provide amusing satire of government bureaucracy: Jack Hawkins, cast against type, is a riot playing a gladhanding salesman-turned-official. Aside from a surreal dream sequence it's directorally restrained by P&P standards, but the sparse, oppressive atmosphere is appropriate.

« : September 30, 2012, 11:46:06 AM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #10953 : October 01, 2012, 05:29:07 AM »

The Master (2012) 10/10. Freddy, a loner and a drunk, spends his sober hours thinking about getting laid. Master is the leader of a new cult, surrounded by sycophants, sure, but also a hostile culture bent on destroying the new movement. Both men could use a friend. And hey!—one day the two happen to meet and the unlikely bro-mance begins. Eventually, circumstances separate them. But Master is free to dream about a future incarnation where he may re-encounter his friend.  Freddy, meanwhile, finally gets lucky with a chick who has enormous knockers. This heart-warming buddy flick gets props for acting, photography and one helluva great score.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10954 : October 01, 2012, 06:17:24 AM »

The Master (2012) 10/10. Freddy, a loner and a drunk, spends his sober hours thinking about getting laid. Master is the leader of a new cult, surrounded by sycophants, sure, but also a hostile culture bent on destroying the new movement. Both men could use a friend. And hey!—one day the two happen to meet and the unlikely bro-mance begins. Eventually, circumstances separate them. But Master is free to dream about a future incarnation where he may re-encounter his friend.  Freddy, meanwhile, finally gets lucky with a chick who has enormous knockers. This heart-warming buddy flick gets props for acting, photography and one helluva great score.

Sounds good! Sounds like a bunch of spoilers too.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #10955 : October 01, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »

Dial M for Murder (1954) - 7/10
New 3D DCP, without subtitles. This was the first time I've seen this film and may quite possibly be the last time too. Not among my favorites from Hitch. 3D was well used but it couldn't quite hide the fact that for the most part the movie is like a filmed play.

Keyhole (2011) - 5/10
Also without subtitles (this time it kinda bothered me). I went in pretty spontaneously - I just happened to see that the latest Guy Maddin movie is playing and so I went in. I've never been on an acid trip but I imagine it could be something like this. Lynch meets 200 Motels. The DSLR B&W cinematography kinda suited Maddin's lo-fi aesthetics but I preferred his earlier super-8 films.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #10956 : October 01, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »

Yeah, WTF DJ!

But even though he said the ending, there's a hell of a lot more going on thematically that is impossible to spoil. You're in for a hell of a treat when you get to see it. I can't give a rating until I watch it again next weekend, but it's somewhere around 9 or 10 status.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10957 : October 01, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »

Oops! I guess I should not have characterized the girl's assets. Sorry!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10958 : October 01, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »

Report from the 50th NYFF

Le soulier de satin/ The Satin Slipper
(1985) 11/10. Manoel de Oliveira’s 7-hour adaptation of Paul Claudel’s verse drama about unrequited love in the late 16th and/or 17th Centuries. 7 hours! Actually, it turned out to be more like 8 because of intermissions and technical problems (the power point subtitles kept breaking down). It reminded me a lot of Rohmer’s Perceval: obvious sets, elaborate costumes, theatrical acting. At other times it put me in mind of filmed opera, but without the music (the arias being declaimed rather than sung). Speaking of opera, speaking of Perceval, I’m reminded of something else--Hans Jurgen Syberberg’s adaptation of Wagner’s Perceval. Now that was difficult to get through without sleeping.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10959 : October 01, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »

Oops! I guess I should not have characterized the girl's assets. Sorry!

Do you play Sarcastball?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10960 : October 01, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »

Do you play Sarcastball?
Say what?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #10961 : October 01, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Do you play Sarcastball?
Yeah, lets drink c*m!

Stalker (1979)
35mm. Holy shit.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #10962 : October 02, 2012, 07:47:50 AM »

I saw "Trouble with the Curve" Saturday, thought it was pretty good.  But I always see baseball films and Amy Adams films, and most of Clint's.  Clint was similar character to Gran Torino, he had issues as sole parent of grown-up daughter and of aging, not too dissimilar from what Mrs. Cusser experiences with her own father.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10963 : October 02, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »

Report from the 50th NYFF

Le soulier de satin/ The Satin Slipper
(1985) 11/10. Manoel de Oliveira’s 7-hour adaptation of Paul Claudel’s verse drama about unrequited love in the late 16th and/or 17th Centuries. 7 hours! Actually, it turned out to be more like 8 because of intermissions and technical problems (the power point subtitles kept breaking down). It reminded me a lot of Rohmer’s Perceval: obvious sets, elaborate costumes, theatrical acting. At other times it put me in mind of filmed opera, but without the music (the arias being declaimed rather than sung). Speaking of opera, speaking of Perceval, I’m reminded of something else--Hans Jurgen Syberberg’s adaptation of Wagner’s Perceval. Now that was difficult to get through without sleeping.
Wow, the whole film is here: http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/video-of-the-day-manoel-de-oliveiras-the-satin-slipper-1985

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10964 : October 03, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »

The Song Remains The Same (1976) - 7/10. In 1973 Led Zeppelin played Madison Square Gardens for three nights and then were robbed of their gate receipts. Oh well, at least they shot a lot of great footage of what seems to have been some great shows. Too bad they couldn't just put out a film of the performances--the band members decided they needed to lard the proceedings with "fantasy sequences"--Bonham playing a jazz-era gangster, Plant poncing about as a sword-and-sorcery hero, that sort of thing. Gee. Did those guys really think that's what the fans wanted to see? Most of the film, anyway, is from the concerts, and that's why the picture is worthwhile. To my mind, this was Zep in their prime (Houses of the Holy era). The 2007 DVD has solid image and sound, even 4 extra songs on the supplements disc.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011) - 8/10. A doc about Jiro Ono, a man who, for over 60 years, has built up a modest Tokyo sushi stall into a national institution with a 3-star Michelin rating. This film sure made me hungry. Images of succulent Chu-toro, for example, had me smaking my lips. The visits to the fish market were interesting, but what I liked best was the menu planning. Jiro serves three courses, and I learned something about sequencing the fish. Sure, lead with tuna, but save the Uni for part 3, and keep the tamago for the finish. I've been doing it all wrong! I was somewhat aghast, though, by the notable omissions--what, Jiro, no salmon? No hotate???? Well, I guess at 30,000 yen minimum I was never going to eat there anyway.

: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1340  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines