Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 01:46:54 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1335
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4159632 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #10965 : October 03, 2012, 08:04:48 AM »

David Lean and His Dedicated Maniacs - Short BBC4 documentary profiling David Lean through a quartet of associates: Norman Spencer, Eddie Fowlie, Peter Newbrook, Micahel Stephenson. It focuses mostly on the epics, showing Lean's obsessive attention to detail in staging and set design. Fowlie is easily the most enjoyable, a vulgar Cockney prop man who spent his later years in Almeria. He published his memoirs shortly before his death last year. These men have nothing but good to say about Lean, though I can't imagine he'd have been fun to work for. Narrated by Nigel Havers.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #10966 : October 03, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »

The Song Remains The Same (1976) - 7/10. In 1973 Led Zeppelin played Madison Square Gardens for three nights and then were robbed of their gate receipts. Oh well, at least they shot a lot of great footage of what seems to have been some great shows. Too bad they couldn't just put out a film of the performances--the band members decided they needed to lard the proceedings with "fantasy sequences"--Bonham playing a jazz-era gangster, Plant poncing about as a sword-and-sorcery hero, that sort of thing. Gee. Did those guys really think that's what the fans wanted to see? Most of the film, anyway, is from the concerts, and that's why the picture is worthwhile. To my mind, this was Zep in their prime (Houses of the Holy era). The 2007 DVD has solid image and sound, even 4 extra songs on the supplements disc.
I'm a die hard Zeppelin fan but can't stand this concert. From what I remember, the 'fantasy sequences' took a hell of a lot away from the concert. Not to mention they weren't good or creative or all. Just sort of...thrown in there.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #10967 : October 03, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »

The Black Stallion (1979) 9/10

The cinematography here was unmotherfuckingbelievable

Of course, we get into predictable melodrama, and quite silly too (everyone's been waiting for this match race forever, and now some newbie is gonna get in on it?  ;D) but this is a beautiful watch.

btw, ten days ago, Mickey Rooney celebrated his 92nd birthday. God bless him  :)

« : October 03, 2012, 10:49:47 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #10968 : October 04, 2012, 08:14:43 AM »

there's a hell of a lot more going on thematically
Maybe, but there's no reason to let that spoil one's enjoyment of the film. Just enjoy the characters, it's as simple as that.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10969 : October 04, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »

there's a hell of a lot more going on thematically

Maybe, but there's no reason to let that spoil one's enjoyment of the film. Just enjoy the characters, it's as simple as that.

That would make it similar to THERE WILL BE BLOOD.
A great story about two men who each have their own way to get power/freedom. It's not about choice, it's about who they are.
In the background, you have "a hell of a lot more going on thematically", but in the end, it's mainly used to give magnitude to a simple story.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10970 : October 04, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »

That's an interesting take, and I don't say you're wrong. My question, though, is this: I hated There Will Be Blood but loved The Master. Why would that be? More congenial characters? Better-written characters?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10971 : October 04, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »

That's an interesting take, and I don't say you're wrong. My question, though, is this: I hated There Will Be Blood but loved The Master. Why would that be? More congenial characters? Better-written characters?

May be both?
I'll think about it once I'll have seen The Master and the chick with the [SPOILER ALERT] enormous knockers.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10972 : October 04, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »

[SPOILER ALERT] enormous knockers.
;D

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #10973 : October 04, 2012, 11:21:24 PM »

Lawrence of Arabia - 10/10 - ?th viewing, 1st theatrically. Anything further I'll say in the appropriate thread.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10974 : October 06, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »

Cobra Verde (1987) I could't stay awake needs a rewatch

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #10975 : October 06, 2012, 08:00:50 PM »

It doesn't spoil the enjoyment for me one bit. I loved and enjoyed every damn second of it. But there's a hell of a lot to think about when it's all over.

The Celebration - 7.5/10
Disturbing Danish Dogme 95 movie. It's good.

The Master - 10/10
Even more incredible on the second viewing. Fantastic 'buddy' movie / thematically ambiguous thought-provoking masterpiece (though much less ambiguous on a repeat viewing). One of the best movies made in years. It's a "light" 10 for PTA though - it doesn't match up to my love for Boogie Nights or Magnolia.

The Avengers - 4/10
Kudos to whoever decided to make a movie involving a BUNCH OF BAD-ASS SUPERHEROES and make every character/the whole movie as boring, generic, and uninteresting as possible. Please take some lessons from X-Men: First Class.

« : October 06, 2012, 08:18:12 PM rrpower »
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #10976 : October 07, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »

Warlock - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. A typical '50s adult Western with lots of talk, morally ambiguous protagonists and psychosexual complications. It's very tempting to read the film as a deconstruction of the Wyatt Earp legend with Henry Fonda as an unscrupulous Wyatt and Anthony Quinn as a backshooting, possibly gay Doc. Good cast and beautiful photography but the story sputters out before the final reels. Quinn's freakout is overwrought, to say the least. I did like the aborted showdown at the end though.

« : October 08, 2012, 09:29:26 AM Groggy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #10977 : October 09, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »

The Paperboy (2012) 7/10. The adventures of Southern White Trash, circa 1969. There's a story about a man on death row for a killing he didn't do, but that's something of a MacGuffin, it's just there to get the plot moving. Mostly, people just act white and trashy. And Southern. To that end, all the characters have accents: Scott Glenn has an accent, Mathew McConaughey has an accent, John Cusack has an accent, Nicole Kidman has an accent and a wig. Zac Efron, the film's lead, doesn't have an accent: this may mean that his character is supposed to be IN the South but not OF it; or it might mean that Zac just couldn't be bothered. Anyway, most of the interest in the film is about whether Zac is going to get to fulfill his MILF fantasies with Nicole or not. (Nope, no spoilers this time, sorry). There's a lot of artsy-fartsy photography in this one--images superimposed on others for no real reason; pre-steadycam hand-held work done by a spastic, that sort of thing. This tends to put the material at a distance, makes it less engaging, which is a good thing when we get to things like the urination scene or the part where the gator's entrails are exposed in close ups. Oops, I DID add spoilers after all. Man, I just can't seem to help myself.

« : October 09, 2012, 07:55:29 AM dave jenkins »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10978 : October 09, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »

Actually, there is no way to know for sure what Michael was talking about. The only fact is that the ambiguity is lost for Patricia because of Vital.

also, the English title "Breathless" really misses the point of the French title A BOUT DE SOUFFLE, doesn't that mean something like "At the End of Breath"? I don't think it would have been that awkward to use that literal translation for the American title.

Also, I was just looking at Beaver's  screencap comparisons of the various (6!) versions of Breathless http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/breathless.htm

if you don't want to compare all 6 versions, but just the two Blu Ray versions, then you can scroll to the bottom of the page, where there are comparisons of the Optimum/Kinowelt Region-Free Blu Ray vs. the Criterion Region A Blu Ray. (I am not sure of the technical terminology), but it looks like the  Criterion is "grayer," while the Optimum is sharper blacks, like any item that is black will be a much darker black in the Optimum, and the Criterion tones are more muted.

If I am going to buy the blu ray, which image do y'all prefer? (Of course, there are other important factors besides image; eg. bonus features and subtitles -- Beaver says the Criterion subtitles are far better, which is very important for a foreign-language film. But I am just wondering what your opinion is of the image comparisons?

« : October 10, 2012, 01:10:08 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10979 : October 10, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027652/

Fury (1936) 5.5/10

What a shitty movie. Took a story that had good potential but did it all wrong.

This post contains spoilers

The first half is pretty bad. I only stuck with it cuz I'd heard some good things about it. The montage seqiuences with all the townfolk yapping to each other about the arrest is excruciating. Anyway, it only starts getting good once Tracy rises from the dead and starts planning his revenge. But starting from when his brothers and Sylvia Sidney's start begging him to change, it gets real bad, especially that speech Sydney gives. Anyway, once Tracy walks into the courtroom at the end, that's a scene with great potential, for him to give  a really awesome speech; but sadly, that's interrupted after a few seconds when Sidney says "I will marry you" and the movie ends on that kiss, as if this were a conventional love story.

UUGGGGHHHHHHH.  A story with decent potential but made so poorly. Uggghhhhh. Ugggghhhhh.

I have to point out that while Fritz Lang directed this movie, the above comments should in no way reflect upon my overall opinion of Fritz Lang as a filmmaker; I have the utmost respect for him. After fleeing Nazi Germany, Lang made his way to Hollywood and signed a deal with MGM, but had lots of creative disagreements with the studio, as he didn't like the stories they offered him, until he finally was given a story he liked, which became this movie, Fury, his first movie made in Hollywood. I have no idea how much creative control Lang was given over this movie; but considering how talented a filmmaker he was and how much I dislike this movie, I just have to wonder if he indeed had full creative control over it. Then again, this movie does seem to be generally well-liked (it currently has an incredibly high 7.9/10 rating on imdb), so who knows, maybe I just have bad taste  ;)

It was cool seeing a very young (and very skinny!) Walter Brennan.

I'll never understand why Sylvia Sidney had that really short hair for such a long time. In this movie as well as  in Street Scene (1931), she has this awful really short haircut, and delivers performances that can be called no more than  passable at best. In Dead End (1937), she finally let her hair grow out, and IMO delivered perhaps one of the 5 greatest performances ever by an actress.  ;)

: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1335  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines