Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2021, 11:26:56 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 1340
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4271118 )
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #13845 : August 30, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »

Anyway, back from the dead? How was it?

On the other had, I see you're still dead. 🎭

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #13846 : August 30, 2014, 08:11:27 AM »

Rear Window (1954) Director: Alfred Hitchcock, Writers: John Michael Hayes (screenplay), Cornell Woolrich (based on the short story by) Stars: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter, Raymond Burr, re-watch a studio set NYC, fun story, would/could have been a great Noir if it had used those stylistics. Anybody ever read the original story Cornell Woolrich's 1942 short story "It Had to Be Murder"? http://www.miettecast.com/woolrich.pdf 8/10

How is that not a 9?

On the other had, I see you're still dead. 🎭

I've never been that alive. It's not what I do.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #13847 : August 30, 2014, 08:17:46 AM »

I've never been that alive. It's not what I do.

:D

I like you the way you are, don't ever forget it.💪

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #13848 : August 30, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »

The Pawnbroker (1964) - 5/10. Rod Steiger gives an impressive performance as the title character, a Jewish concentration camp survivor who, deadened by his experience, lives now only for money. People are constantly reaching out to him, but he always refuses to take their hand (in one scene with a very frumpy Geraldine Fitzgerald, literally). If the film had only been about that it probably could have been one of the greatest films on the subject of survivor's guilt. Instead, the film piles on additional narrative material from, seemingly, other films. It turns out his Manhattan pawnbroking business (Park Ave. and E. 116th/Harlem) is really a front. The shop doesn't actually make any money (!), it's just a way to launder funds for Mr. Big (Brock Peters). Late in the film, Steiger is shocked, shocked to discover that the money he's paid comes from such unsavory activities as prostitution. This is particularly galling because, we discover in flashbacks, the pawnbroker's late wife was prostituted by the Nazis. Steiger then tries to get out from under, but he discovers he's in too deep and, anyway, his will was broken long ago. If that weren't enough, there's also a group of punks who are planning to knock off the pawnshop (huh? Don't they know it's a front? Won't they be bringing down the wrath of Mr. Big on their heads if they succeed?). Then there's the young PR kid who's working as the pawnbroker's assistant. Will he decide to betray his employer in order to get a taste of the good life?  Huh, what happened to our film about a bitter death camp survivor?

As you see, the film (and maybe the underlying source novel) tried to get too much into the story. The focus is constantly shifting, and by the end I wasn't completely sure what the film was about. There are, however, still some very nice things about the film: as previously mentioned, Steiger's performance; beautiful b&w widescreen photography of Manhattan locations circa 1962; those locations themselves, many of which no longer exist. There's an elevated train line running along Park Ave. in front of the pawnbroker's shop, and it had me stumped for a while, but a visit to IMDb provided this explanation:  
That poster seems to know what he's talking about (and, as a frequent Metro North user myself, I found the info particularly interesting). A shame the film isn't better than it is, but Olive's new Blu-ray transfer is so impressive, I probably have to re-watch it several times to experience again the Manhattan of 50 years ago.

Yes this is more od less what bothers this movie, pity cause Rod Steiger is outstanding under all that heavy makeup.

The thing they did great was capturing the blank, sterile environment the pawnbroker's been thrown into. A rarely seen and even more rarely witnessed in movies from that time,  devoid of smalltown fascination with big buildings and light, purgatory-like sight.

6/10

« : August 30, 2014, 02:01:36 PM Dust Devil »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #13849 : August 30, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »

Inside Llewyn Davis - 8.5/10
Even better on the repeat viewing. Coens are brilliant.

Bernie - 7.5/10
Fun film with a unique style - shot like a documentary, though clearly aware that its fiction. Not a 'mockumentary' though, as it follows a standard narrative outside of the interview aspect. Jack Black plays his role well, and I don't think I've quite seen a movie like this before. Linklater is a damn great, underrated director... sometimes...

Waking Life - 1/10
I fucking hated this movie, and fuck Linklater. It's no more than a "try-to-be-experiental" collection of so-called "philosophical observations", when in reality it feels like the illogical ramblings of a homeless man who took too many tabs of acid. These ramblings are excellent in Linklater's other work - Dazed and Confused, Before Sunrise, Boyhood, etc. because they are done with humor, fit for the respective characters, or are obviously drug induced, giving us room to laugh at the character while they still make relatively valid points (Mason's hipster ramblings in Boyhood work so well because there's room to laugh at him - here, the only thing to laugh at is Linklater's pretentiousness). I've never seen a film that takes itself so seriously and falls so flat. I give it's 1 point for doing a decent job of creating the feel and atmosphere of a dream. That being said, the animation, while unique, is generally awful and distracting. It barely contributes to anything thematically and only helps in establishing the dream tone and creeping me the fuck out. I haven't seen a movie I hated this much in a long time, which is a shame, because even before Boyhood's success I considered Linklater to be one of the most underrated working directors. Maybe this is the type of film that requires a second viewing, but I'm sure that I will never give it that chance.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 9/10
An obviously well-acclaimed documentary, not much more needs to be said.

« : August 30, 2014, 07:51:31 PM PowerRR »
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #13850 : August 31, 2014, 03:49:58 AM »

I recently watched about 10 Min of the middle of The Pawnbroker. It was terrible pretentious stuff filled with artificial and "meaningfull" dialogues. It all had a painful arty look. Felt like a filmed stageplay.

« : August 31, 2014, 03:58:05 AM stanton »

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #13851 : August 31, 2014, 03:50:32 AM »

Broadway Danny Rose (1984) - 6 to 6.5 out of 10

Ok, decently entertaining and charming, but nothing to write home about.

« : August 31, 2014, 03:51:54 AM Dust Devil »

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #13852 : August 31, 2014, 03:54:46 AM »

I recently watched about 10 Min of the middle of The Pawnbroker. It was terrible pretentious stuff filed with artificial and "meaningfull" dialogues. It all had a painful arty look. Felt like a filmed stageplay.

Well I can't fully agree with that, I thought in the end it failed because of other things.

« : August 31, 2014, 08:18:32 AM Dust Devil »

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #13853 : August 31, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »

House of Usher (1960) - 6.5/10

Poe's work is very hard to translate into celluloid; this one climbs up to the upper middle section. Economic directing, good acting (4 people, what the hell am I writing?), some cheap FX every now and then, and that's about it...

* Vincent Price, Mark Damon.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #13854 : August 31, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »

American Gangster (2007) - 7/10

Not but bad but as far from fresh as you can get.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #13855 : August 31, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »

Mulholland Falls (1996) Director: Lee Tamahori, Stars: Nick Nolte, Melanie Griffith, Jennifer Connelly, Chazz Palminteri, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Treat Williams, Daniel Baldwin, John Malkovich, Andrew McCarthy, Louise Fletcher,  Rob Lowe and Bruce Dern. Never seen this before, way better than Gangster Squad, I would even say I like it better than LA Confidential. It got the hats right, has a nice rendition of "Harbour Lights" by Aaron Neville, you gotta love that Buick Roadmaster convertible tooling across the gorgeous desert landscapes and also Jennifer Connelly's bOObs. I guess you gotta find out these things for yourself rather than go by critics, it's the reason I never checked it out. It reminds you of all the LA based crime Noirs. The only fault is Nolte's mumbling, it's hard to understand him at times. Nice score by Dave Grusin 9/10

« : August 31, 2014, 02:44:21 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #13856 : August 31, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »

Witness - 7/10
One of these "cop in isolated community that he doesn't like and then likes as he gets accepted" movies. It always works. Apart from the 80's music. Like always.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13857 : August 31, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »

American Gangster (2007) - 7/10

Not but bad but as far from fresh as you can get.

It's extremely derivative but still entertaining, so I won't disagree with your rating.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13858 : August 31, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »

Rewatched The Children's Hour and Victim (third viewing for each?) for a project I'm working on. Will have some more Hitchcock stuff soon.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #13859 : September 01, 2014, 12:55:35 AM »

It's extremely derivative but still entertaining, so I won't disagree with your rating.

Just not sure it supports multiple viewings. I give it a 6 for now, I'll see if I ever watch it again (I haven't since my first viewing, in theater).

: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 1340  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines