Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 03:18:48 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
: 1 ... 943 944 [945] 946 947 ... 1335
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4159763 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #14160 : October 22, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »

I agree with you on having a shiny style having nothing to do with someone being a good director.
I agree with Stanton when he says he needs to feel the director isn't interchangeable.

I don't think Eastwood is interchangeable. I don't think that if someone else had made Eastwood's movies they would be similar. I am a huge fan of Eastwood's movies and don't think the director of them is interchangeable. Not having a distinct visual style doesn't mean you're interchangeable.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what stanton means, but if he is implying that not having a distinct visual style means the director is interchangeable, well, that seems to be what Emerson says, which I strongly disagree with.
You think if someone else had made all the movies Billy Wilder directed, they would have turned out more or less the same (even assuming the same writing team of Wilder and a collaborator)? I say no way.

« : October 22, 2014, 04:47:27 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14161 : October 22, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »

I don't think Eastwood is interchangeable.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #14162 : October 22, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »

You think if someone else had made all the movies Billy Wilder directed, they would have turned out more or less the same (even assuming the same writing team of Wilder and a collaborator)? I say no way.

Ninotchka begs to differ.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #14163 : October 23, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what stanton means, but if he is implying that not having a distinct visual style means the director is interchangeable,

Yes, you misunderstand me, this can not be inferred from what I have written. You also misunderstood half of the things Noodles had written? How comes?

IMO there is no such thing as objectivity in art. Everything depends on the individual viewer.

Yes, but if this is really your stance, why don't you accept other people's opinions?
Why are other people assholes, jerks, idiots, snobs etc if they have an opinion you don't like?

If art is always subjective there is no reason to blame anyones opinion, as ridiculous they might seem.

I'm just saying that while part of the entertainment level is dependent upon the art level (i.e., great achievements in art are entertaining to watch), art shouldn't be a goal for art's own sake without regard to entertainment. I don't wanna get too abstract here – then I'd sound like these snobby, nerdy critics who I am bashing  ;) – but my essential point here is, to make a style just to be noticed, to say "look, I'm a director," is silly; and to criticize artworks due to a (perceived) lack of director's style, and being unable to enjoy something that really can entertain you out of a snobbish insistence that non-stylized filmmaking is shallow, to me seems ridiculous.

At first, how do you know for sure if a style was only done for style's sake? Even if it appears to you, the artist may have had other intentions.

And then, I don't think it is wrong to make art for art's sake as long as the result is art for me and not pseudo-art.

Drink, you should have more respect for other people. It would cost you some signatures, but would make life more pleasant for you.

(Mike Siegel would appreciate this too)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14164 : October 23, 2014, 01:52:11 AM »

Just because he spoke to Obama's empty chair doesn't mean his movies are so politically motivated  ;)

He apologized for that. Leave Clint alone!   :'(

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14165 : October 23, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »

OMG who did I call an asshole, jerk, or idiot? Nobody on these boards, that's for sure.
Yes, I said some of the critics' writings seemed snobbish, but that's nobody that reads these boards, I'd kid around with nasty shit about critics that'll nevr read my posts, but I've never said anything like that about anyone here. I've never been rude to someone over their movie opinions.
 I think you are taking things just a wee bit too seriously. (mike takes too seriously anyone who criticizes Peckinpah). Fortunately, n_l doesn't.
I guess it's not always easy to understand someone's thoughts/emotions through written posts. But take it easy, this should be all fun.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14166 : October 23, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »

Did Eastwood really apologize for his "empty chair" speech? What the hell for? That was the one truly funny moment I've ever seen at the silly shit that we call political conventions (which I usually don't even bother watching).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #14167 : October 23, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »

Did Eastwood really apologize for his "empty chair" speech? What the hell for? That was the one truly funny moment I've ever seen at the silly shit that we call political conventions (which I usually don't even bother watching).
Not only funny. Prescient.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14168 : October 23, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »

He didn't really apologize but implicitly implied that it was a mistake a month ago in the American Film Festival of Deauville (I think). He said that he improvised his speech 5 minutes before entering the stage and that when he faced the room full of 10,000 enthusiastic people his brain went blank.
I thought it lacked some preparation but it still was funny.

« : October 23, 2014, 11:00:48 AM noodles_leone »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #14169 : October 23, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »

OMG who did I call an asshole, jerk, or idiot? Nobody on these boards, that's for sure.

Not on this board (as far as I remember), but lots of other people. It mostly does not sound like fun.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14170 : October 23, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »

Not on this board (as far as I remember), but lots of other people. It mostly does not sound like fun.

I don't really think a movie critic is an idiot just cuz he has a different opinion than me; these people may well be nice and wonderful people, but considering that they'll never read these posts, I don't think there is anything wrong with JOKINGLY saying someone is an idiot for making a particular statement that i think is idiotic. When I say stuff like that, I think most people understand it's tongue-in-cheek and we're just kidding around. I never met Jim Emerson and I am sure he may be a wonderful guy, even though I do pity him for being unable to enjoy Eastwood movies because of what I Shakespearingly refer to as the bug up his ass  >:D

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14171 : October 23, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »

The Unguarded Hour (1936) 6/10 (TCM)

This is a decent suspense movie, until the end, the final twist IMO is silly.

Loretta Young is always lovely to look at, one of the prettiest actresses of the '30's

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14172 : October 23, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »

Watched My Darling Clementine and Fort Apache again today (approx. 5th viewing of each).

MDC, I watched the "pre-release" version on DVD again (I'm eventually gonna get the new Criterion BRD).

Fort Apache, this was my first viewing of the BRD, it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS.

Both of these are among my 10 favorite American Westerns, with an approximate rating of 10/10  O0

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #14173 : October 24, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »

I don't really think a movie critic is an idiot just cuz he has a different opinion than me; these people may well be nice and wonderful people, but considering that they'll never read these posts, I don't think there is anything wrong with JOKINGLY saying someone is an idiot for making a particular statement that i think is idiotic. When I say stuff like that, I think most people understand it's tongue-in-cheek and we're just kidding around.

I can't look into your brain, and I don't know how others here interpret your posts, but often when I read your stuff I see before my eyes Rumpelstiltskin flipping out in front of his PC. If you want that to be meant funny or ironic, you make something totally wrong. But maybe that's only me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14174 : October 24, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »

but often when I read your stuff I see before my eyes Rumpelstiltskin flipping out in front of his PC.

;D ;D  ;D I really don't take shit that seriously ;D ;D ;D

But there is one thing I do take very seriously: I never, ever use a PC. I'm a total Mac guy.

: 1 ... 943 944 [945] 946 947 ... 1335  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines