Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2021, 02:35:52 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 1340
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4272024 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #14400 : December 07, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »

An Affair to Remember - 8/10 - Liked it more than I was expecting: remove the obnoxious singing kids and it's an all-time classic. Cary Grant's never been better; Deborah Kerr definitely has, but she's pleasant to watch all the same.

Breakheart Pass - 7/10 - Alistair Maclean Western with Charles Bronson as a secret agent ferreting out killers on an Army train. No real surprises but an enjoyable mix of action and suspense.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #14401 : December 07, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »

An Affair to Remember - 8/10 - Liked it more than I was expecting: remove the obnoxious singing kids and it's an all-time classic. Cary Grant's never been better; Deborah Kerr definitely has, but she's pleasant to watch all the same.

funny that you mention this: I was just looking at TCM's upcoming schedule, to set my DVR for the week, and I see that this movie will be playing on Monday at 8 PM http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2014-12-08
I was debating if I should see it or not; Cary Grant is the one actor I can't stand probably literally more than any other. Every time he speaks he makes my skin crawl, I just can't stand the sound of his voice. I've forced myself to watch a few of his famous movies (Notorious, North by Northwest), not sure if I'll end up watching this one.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14402 : December 08, 2014, 03:58:29 AM »

Not as a Stranger (1955) 7/10

Olivia de Havilland does a really good Swedish accent here. (Well a well-known actor does an accent, they better get it right. Having recently seen Robert De Niro fail miserably in attempting a Southern accent in Cape Fear, there is nothing worse than a well-known actor doing an accent badly. If we know what you normally sound like and now you are doing a different accent, you damn straight better get it right or don't even try. And de Havilland indeed does a convincing accent.)
Sorry, DJ, I still like watching Joan Fontaine more than de Havilland. Maybe cuz Fontaine is better-looking. But no doubt both are great actresses.   ;)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14403 : December 08, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »

The Long Goodbye (1973) - 9/10
New Blu-ray release. Absolutely excellent, as always. One of the greatest noir ever made, and Altman more or less at the top of his game. Nothing but praise. Makes me wish Inherent Vice was this good - there are plenty of comparisons.

The Skeleton Twins (2014) - 7.5/10
More or less follows the formula of most other hipster-indie-dramedies, with hints of child molestation and strong emphasis on suicide making it a bit darker than most. Other than that it's a well told story with well-developed characters and dark humor. Worth checking out.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14404 : December 09, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »

A Most Wanted Man (2014) - 2.5/10
By far the most impressive part about this movie is how dull the characters are. I can't even imagine how someone could possibly write something so empty and lifeless. What an awful final movie lead role for Philip Seymour Hoffman. And before you can conjure up a condescending answer: fuck you davejenkins (I can only assume my utter hatred of a movie = your undying love for it, and vice versa, 95% of the time).

« : December 09, 2014, 10:13:11 PM PowerRR »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14405 : December 10, 2014, 03:25:25 AM »

The Man Between (1953) Dir Carol Reed, James Mason, Claire Bloom, Hildegard Knef, Aribert Wäscher, and Ernst Schröder, it's got a Third Man vibe with a love story, its entertaining and Noir-ish, the cityscapes of bombed out Berlin are impressive. 7-8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #14406 : December 10, 2014, 05:59:11 AM »

A Most Wanted Man (2014) - 2.5/10
By far the most impressive part about this movie is how dull the characters are. I can't even imagine how someone could possibly write something so empty and lifeless. What an awful final movie lead role for Philip Seymour Hoffman. And before you can conjure up a condescending answer: fuck you davejenkins (I can only assume my utter hatred of a movie = your undying love for it, and vice versa, 95% of the time).
My review is available if you want to scroll back and find it. I didn't like the film either.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #14407 : December 10, 2014, 06:05:39 AM »

funny that you mention this: I was just looking at TCM's upcoming schedule, to set my DVR for the week, and I see that this movie will be playing on Monday at 8 PM http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2014-12-08
I was debating if I should see it or not; Cary Grant is the one actor I can't stand probably literally more than any other. Every time he speaks he makes my skin crawl, I just can't stand the sound of his voice. I've forced myself to watch a few of his famous movies (Notorious, North by Northwest), not sure if I'll end up watching this one.
I have a friend who has the same reaction to Grant. I guess if you can't stand the guy you can't stand the guy and it's pointless to pretend that you're being entertained by him.

An Affair to Remember, anyway, is a remake of Love Affair(1939). If you watch the earlier film you can skip Grant's performance (and also the singing children IIRR).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #14408 : December 10, 2014, 06:10:59 AM »

Not as a Stranger (1955) 7/10

Olivia de Havilland does a really good Swedish accent here. (Well a well-known actor does an accent, they better get it right. Having recently seen Robert De Niro fail miserably in attempting a Southern accent in Cape Fear, there is nothing worse than a well-known actor doing an accent badly. If we know what you normally sound like and now you are doing a different accent, you damn straight better get it right or don't even try. And de Havilland indeed does a convincing accent.)
Sorry, DJ, I still like watching Joan Fontaine more than de Havilland. Maybe cuz Fontaine is better-looking. But no doubt both are great actresses.   ;)
Could Fontaine muster a credible Swedish accent? By your own account you've proven her sister's the better actress.

The first time I saw this picture (on TV, having missed the credits) I could not place the actress, her performance was that good. She completely lost herself in her role. Only later when I saw the final titles did I realize just how good Ms. de Havilland had been.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #14409 : December 10, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »

The Long Goodbye (1973) - 9/10
New Blu-ray release. Absolutely excellent, as always. One of the greatest noir ever made, and Altman more or less at the top of his game. Nothing but praise. Makes me wish Inherent Vice was this good - there are plenty of comparisons.

We are in agreement yet again.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14410 : December 10, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »

Ok, I'm back home. I'd like to stay more in the US but I sometimes need coffee or something called "bread" so I had to leave. In the plane:

Guardians of the Galaxy - 4/10
It was really bad. It's the kind of plot that is to script what cheddar is to cheese: it doesn't even try. Still, I smiled a couple times and I appreciate the effort: a mainstream comic book adaptation that tries to be fun to watch. I hadn't seen this since the very first Spiderman.

« : December 11, 2014, 02:58:31 AM noodles_leone »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #14411 : December 10, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

Macbeth - 8/10 - Roman Polanski works out his post-Charles Manson demons through Shakespeare. The style is both absorbing and unsettling. Not entirely sold on the acting; Jon Finch is great, everyone else workmanlike.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14412 : December 10, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »

I guess there's some room for agree-ance after all mr. jenkins

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14413 : December 11, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »

Le Corbeau: The Raven (1943) French village doctor (Pierre Fresnay) becomes target of poison-pen letters 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14414 : December 14, 2014, 03:36:40 AM »

Winter's Bone (2010) 8.5/10

This is a really good movie, and an incredible performance by Jennifer Lawrence.
This movie is REALLY bleak, depicting a shitty rural town in Ozarks where there doesn't seem to be any hope for anything. I mean, this shit is BLEAK.

I've only seen Lawrence in one other movie: American Hustle, and I did not like her there. But she is amazing here.

I did a little search here, nobody has ever posted about this movie on these boards. Has nobody seen it? This is definitely a movie for y'all to put in your queue.

And btw, if anyone can recommend any good dramas that Lawrence is in, I'd put 'em in my queue. I'm not interested in Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies, so I'm not watching The Hunger Games or X-Men movies, but are any of her dramas good?

: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 1340  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines