Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 28, 2024, 05:34:39 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 55 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1399
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4967817 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14535 : January 05, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »

There at least one other civilized man on this board.
My expectations were so low, too. The trailer made it appear to be another typical fucking hipster movie about the "power and passion of music". Well, it is kind of like that. Except fucking good. It had a rough start, a lot of the editing techniques and camera work felt like a rip-off of PTA ripping off Scorsese. But it reversed itself quickly. One of those movies that has noticeably great editing ...a very, very rare feat.

Also you mentioned Inside Llewyn Davis, which I rewatched for the fourth time this week. Now there's a film that gets better and better every time. It went from being one of my least favorite Coens at a 7-ish to one of their very best, an easy 9.

« : January 05, 2015, 06:52:06 PM PowerRR »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #14536 : January 05, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »

Brighton Rock - 8/10 - Classic British crime flick with Richard Attenborough as the murderous Pinkie Brown. Based on a Graham Greene book, it's darker, grungier and more violent than the other Brit noirs I've seen.

I just saw this on TCM. I give it a 7.5/10

Part of this movie's charm is in how ridiculous it is, probably unintentionally. The pint-sized 17-year-old tough guy leading a mob that seems to be made up of sick old men; the crazy old woman always being in right place at the right time, or the wrong place at the wrong time if you're a gang member; a newspaper reporter's treasure hunt being used as a coverup; a gangster who has no qualms about killing marrying (rather than killing) a girl he doesn't like just to keep her from testifying against him even though she has shown no interest in ever testifying against him.
Also, I couldn't understand half the Cockney dialogue here, it was like watching a foreign-language film.

yes, this movie is an unintentionally funny watch. Good stuff. if you haven't seen it, catch it next time it plays TCM.

btw, looking on IMDB, I see it was remade in 2010 but that one has a very bad rating http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233192/?ref_=nv_sr_1 has anyone seen this 2010 remake?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14537 : January 06, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »

I don't think this deserves it's own topic, but check out this beautiful tribute to work by Annapurna Pictures from the past 3 years. They essentially started with The Master and have since funded several fantastic independent films from excellent directors (most recently being Foxcatcher).

http://annapurnapics.com/films/

It's one of the most well-cut film tributes I've seen, despite being a sort of limited tribute to one company's productions.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14538 : January 07, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »

The Warriors (1979) - 6/10
Silly

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14539 : January 07, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »

I don't think this deserves it's own topic, but check out this beautiful tribute to work by Annapurna Pictures from the past 3 years. They essentially started with The Master and have since funded several fantastic independent films from excellent directors (most recently being Foxcatcher).

http://annapurnapics.com/films/

It's one of the most well-cut film tributes I've seen, despite being a sort of limited tribute to one company's productions.

Great one!

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14540 : January 07, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »

Selma (2014) - 4/10
An excellent portrayal of MLK that I don't think will ever be topped.

But, I am utterly disgusted at film criticism being overtaken by white guilt. There is literally no other reason for this to maintain a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with over 80 reviews. It is simply not good enough for that many reviewers to SERIOUSLY give it a "fresh" rating (look at the IMDb score in comparison - clearly there's a divide). It is dull, conventional, garbage. It hits every point of what you'd expect from this kind of film. The cinematography. The structure. The "this is where they are now" ending captions. The recyclable music. Oprah's in it. Of course, fucking Oprah is in it. I saw this movie like 15 times in Mrs. Warren's 7th grade black rights classes. That was almost ten years ago. This is the same film, and it still sucks.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #14541 : January 07, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »

Non-stop - 4/10

The trailer was terrible but the film does the job, at least until the ridiculous resolution. I would never had watched the whole thing any other day of the year, but today was a tough one, and, once again, for the most part, it does the job.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14542 : January 07, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »

Selma (2014) - 4/10
An excellent portrayal of MLK that I don't think will ever be topped.

But, I am utterly disgusted at film criticism being overtaken by white guilt. There is literally no other reason for this to maintain a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with over 80 reviews. It is simply not good enough for that many reviewers to SERIOUSLY give it a "fresh" rating (look at the IMDb score in comparison - clearly there's a divide). It is dull, conventional, garbage. It hits every point of what you'd expect from this kind of film. The cinematography. The structure. The "this is where they are now" ending captions. The recyclable music. Oprah's in it. Of course, fucking Oprah is in it. I saw this movie like 15 times in Mrs. Warren's 7th grade black rights classes. That was almost ten years ago. This is the same film, and it still sucks.

;D

Remember how the idiots promoting The Alamo went on an Oscar marketing campaign which basically was, if you don't vote for The Alamo then you're pissing on the graves of all those heroes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14543 : January 08, 2015, 08:10:19 AM »

Big Eyes (2014) - 7.5/10
Definitely liked it more than the other SLWB reviewers. It follows some pretty specific biopic trite, but in a humorous way that pisses me off a lot less than the MLK movie I just watched. More than most biopics, it feels more like a fictional narrative than a historical retelling ...but does hit quite a few cliches on its way. It's a fun, energetic, fast-paced two hours that I think stands out more than a majority of Burton's work. If he's not gonna do stuff the quality of Ed Wood or Pee-Wee anymore ...I'm certainly content with this, because I'd still rank it on his upper tier of movies.

Burton made his film about the wrong Keane.

And that's what stops it from being truly great. His character has 1000x more potential to be fleshed out over Amy Adams', but unfortunately there's an even focus on the two that doesn't make either quite interesting enough.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #14544 : January 08, 2015, 01:33:37 PM »

The Warriors (1979) - 6/10
Silly

Yep, but taken everything in consideration it should be worth more than a 6-er.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #14545 : January 08, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »

The Rainmaker (1997)
- somewhere between 5 and 6 out of 10

I was watching this the whole evening and didn't even realize it. Nuff said.

Hmmm... I watched this before in one piece? ???

Anyhow, The Rainmaker indeed makes some rain fall, but it's distinguishable from many others like one rain from another, in November. A certain visual flare is present but nevertheless the story as well as much of the characters seem pretty thin, and predictable. I would, all in all, grant it a 6.5 (maybe even a 7) out of 10, on a very sunny day.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14546 : January 08, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »

Big Eyes (2014) - 7.5/10
Definitely liked it more than the other SLWB reviewers. It follows some pretty specific biopic trite, but in a humorous way that pisses me off a lot less than the MLK movie I just watched. More than most biopics, it feels more like a fictional narrative than a historical retelling ...but does hit quite a few cliches on its way. It's a fun, energetic, fast-paced two hours that I think stands out more than a majority of Burton's work. If he's not gonna do stuff the quality of Ed Wood or Pee-Wee anymore ...I'm certainly content with this, because I'd still rank it on his upper tier of movies.

You didn't mention anything about the color ... Rather blatantly tries to look like old postcards. I thought it was pretty damn awful. The color and the movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14547 : January 08, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »

History Is Made at Night (1937) 7/10

Kind of odd... Mostly a love story between Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer, involving a society people and divorces and jealous spouses and murder, etc. ... Then some comedic scenes with an Italian chef who seems to be in love with Boyer, call it a gay subtext. Then the story moves to a ship and largely steals the story of the  Titanic. I won't say anything further, I won't spoil anything.

Enjoyable movie, some of the stuff that's funny is probably unintentional.

Saw it on TCM. The print is pretty bad. This movie's never had a normal Region 1 DVD release. Chck it out next time it's on TCM.

« : January 08, 2015, 11:47:33 PM drinkanddestroy »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #14548 : January 08, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »

The Gambler (2014) - 7.5/10
Much better than the reviews, and something I can definitely see myself liking more on a second watch. My viewing conditions were not ideal and I think it hindered how much I enjoyed the film. Absolutely worth watching. Fuck the Selma-loving critics and dumb IMDb voters. Listen to me and davejenkins (or just me... maybe that 9 is a bit high).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14549 : January 08, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

Maybe IMDB should allow users to give two ratings for each movie: The regular rating of how much you currently liked the movie, and a second rating of how much you think you'll like the movie on your next viewing  >:D

: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1399  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines