Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2021, 10:54:49 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1336
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4174774 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #17505 : November 28, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »

Phantom Thread (2017) - 8/10
PT Anderson strikes again. I think most people including myself will like this more than Inherent Vice.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17506 : November 28, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »

Model For Murder (1959): Keith Andes gets framed for the murder of a fashion model who walked in on a jewel robbery organized by her boss, fashion designer Michael Gough. Nothing special, but at about 70mins it's a decent time-waster. 6/10

Watched this on the Network UK DVD.

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17507 : November 28, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »

Phantom Thread (2017) - 8/10
PT Anderson strikes again. I think most people including myself will like this more than Inherent Vice.

Yea I was underwhelmed by Inherent Vice.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

« #17508 : November 28, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »

CJ, I'll check it out and also on youtube is Double Deal with Marie Windsor and Richard Denning. Unfortunately Windsor plays the good girl here, but still a nice time waster.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17509 : November 28, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »

CJ, I'll check it out and also on youtube is Double Deal with Marie Windsor and Richard Denning. Unfortunately Windsor plays the good girl here, but still a nice time waster.

Yea I watched it also just in the last week in fact, but it wasn't anything to really recommend other than as you say a time waster.  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #17510 : November 28, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »

Any of you who need to kill time, there are plenty of soup kitchens or other charities that need volunteers, or sick/old people in the hospital who would appreciate visits  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17511 : December 01, 2017, 03:52:17 AM »

High and Dry (1954) Ealing comedy with Paul Douglas, entertaining. 7/10.

XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

« #17512 : December 05, 2017, 01:33:37 AM »

The Square (2017): Right before the launch of a new artwork called The Square at a modern art museum in Stockholm, Sweden, the curator's phone and wallet gets stolen. His attempt to retrieve them sets off a series of unexpected events. Swedish satire/black comedy that has a few funny moments but is just an overly long and disjointed mess of standalone scenes with little substance. Avoid. 5/10

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #17513 : December 05, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »

The Square (2017): Right before the launch of a new artwork called The Square at a modern art museum in Stockholm, Sweden, the curator's phone and wallet gets stolen. His attempt to retrieve them sets off a series of unexpected events. Swedish satire/black comedy that has a few funny moments but is just an overly long and disjointed mess of standalone scenes with little substance. Avoid. 5/10

Everything I read about The Square indicates the opposite. Too bad I missed this film.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17514 : December 05, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

The Day of the Jackal (1973) - 8/10. Pretty good. The fact that no one can figure out the day of the hit until almost the end is a bit silly. And it's too bad all the French are so English, but still . . .

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17515 : December 06, 2017, 06:53:21 AM »

Two Simenon adaptations, both with Gabin, both directed by Jean Delannoy.

Maigret and the St Fiacre Case
(1959) - 7/10. Could be called The Fat Man Goes Home. The premise is interesting: a woman is threatened that she will die before the end of Ash Wednesday mass. She goes to mass and in the midst of it keels over with a heart attack. Maigret, on the scene, declares it murder. But how was it done? And why?

Maigret Sets a Trap (1958) - 9/10. A Jack the Ripper style serial killer is stalking Parisian women, and Maigret must stop him. But he has no leads. So he . . . (wait for it) . . . sets a trap! This film features one of the most compelling 3rd Degree sequences ever . . . and a fabulous twist. It makes one mistake, though. After moving away from the principal suspect, to pick up on a surprising new one, the film returns to the original perp. A way should have been found to stay with the new one in spite of the undeniable guilt of the first.

Gabin was the definitive Maigret. They should have made a dozen of these.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17516 : December 07, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »

Castle Keep (1969) - 6/10. Uh . . . say what?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17517 : December 07, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »

Brutti, sporchi e cattivi (Ugly, Dirty and Bad) (1976) Director, Ettore Scola, shanty town shenanigans in Via Domizia Lucilla, Rome, Lazio, Italy, 6/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17518 : December 08, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »

Peppermint Soda (1977) - 10/10. Dianne Kurys' autobiographical debut feature, about a girl's coming-of-age in French public school in the early 60s, a kind of female The 400 Blows (it even ends with the central character on a Normandy beach in freeze-frame), but better. The difference has to do with the fact that the heroine has a sister--the relationship between the girls is extremely well observed (Kurys dedicated her picture to her real-life sister) and makes the piece emotionally richer. I saw this film originally in, I think, 1979, and only now have I seen it (on blu) a second time. The long hiatus was unfortunate: this is one of French cinema's very best works.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17519 : December 08, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »

The Sun Also Rises (1957) – 6/10. It had to go the Zanuck Way/ It had to go the Zanuck Way/ Zanuck, Zanuck/ Way Way Way/ Zamuck, Zanuck/ Way Way Way/ It had to go the Zanuck Way.

It should have gone the Heming Way/ It should have gone the Heming Way/Heming, Heming/ Way Way Way/ Heming, Heming/ Way Way Way/ It should have gone the Heming Way.

“Isn’t it pretty to think so?”

With Ty Power, Ava G., a fat Errol Flynn, Eddie Albert, Mel Ferrer, and Juliette Gréco (who, rumor has it, was banging Mr. Z at the time).

UPDATE: Oh yeah, Robert Evans is in the picture, another genius move of Zanuck's. Every close-up of Evans shows him with a dopey look on his face. Since he wasn't really a bullfighter, the close-ups were his only reason for being in the film. But his close-ups are terrible!

« : December 08, 2017, 02:13:30 PM dave jenkins »

: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1336  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines