Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2021, 08:11:03 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 1324
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3950383 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17760 : April 26, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »

Only rewatches:

Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 6.5/10 - This one isn't aging well.
Rosemary's Baby (1968) - 8/10 - This one is.
The Master (2012) - 8.5/10 - There is even more gay subtext than I remembered.
Cinderella (1950) - 8/10 - Good thing the mouses have more screen time than Cinderella.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17761 : April 26, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

The Miyagawa retro at MoMA continues apace. Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins were down for 4 showings last weekend.

Ototo / Her Brother/ Younger Brother (1960) 7/10. Kon Ichikawa adapts a semi-autobiographical novel by a famous woman writer about a woman in a dysfunctional family who cares for her irresponsible younger brother. I’d seen this already, but Mrs. Jenkins hadn’t and the book is a favorite of hers so we went. It’s a good film, but I probably won’t be returning to it in future.

Enjo / Conflagration (1958) 9/10. Ichikawa adapts Mishima. A novice monk discovers that the temple where he serves is constantly being defiled, by loose women, American occupiers . . . even the head monk himself! His solution? Conflagration! Mishima was working the redemption-through-annihilation angle long before Pynchon got wind of it.  Mrs. Jenkins comments: “The actor playing the novice monk was perfect casting!”

Suzakumon (1957) 3/10. Dull costume weepy. Nice colors, nice kimonos. Mrs. Jenkins says: “Zzzzzzzzzzz . . .”

Reminiscence / Thousand Cranes (1953) 10/10. Kozaburo Yoshimura adapts Kawabata’s famous novel. He is abetted by some incredible performances, including one by Michiyo Kogure  (as the very fetching older woman with something on her mind), and an even more amazing one by Haruko Sigimura (as the surrogate mom-from-hell). This is also a film where Miyagawa really shows his stuff with some very impressive camera moves. Mrs. Jenkins: “A near-perfect adaptation. Sigimura must be Japan’s greatest-ever screen actress!”

« : April 26, 2018, 01:43:39 PM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17762 : April 26, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »

Tampopo (1985) trucker Goro  sets out to help Tampopo set up the perfect noodle shop. Some great sequences of broth preparation. Also involved are his partner and a local thug. Entertaining 7/10

« : April 26, 2018, 06:20:23 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17763 : April 27, 2018, 01:23:06 AM »

The Miyagawa retro at MoMA continues apace. Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins were down for 4 showings last weekend.

Ototo / Her Brother/ Younger Brother (1960) 7/10. Kon Ichikawa adapts a semi-autobiographical novel by a famous woman writer about a woman in a dysfunctional family who cares for her irresponsible younger brother. I’d seen this already, but Mrs. Jenkins hadn’t and the book is a favorite of hers so we went. It’s a good film, but I probably won’t be returning to it in future.

Enjo / Conflagration (1958) 9/10. Ichikawa adapts Mishima. A novice monk discovers that the temple where he serves is constantly being defiled, by loose women, American occupiers . . . even the head monk himself! His solution? Conflagration! Mishima was working the redemption-through-annihilation angle long before Pynchon got wind of it.  Mrs. Jenkins comments: “The actor playing the novice monk was perfect casting!”

Suzakumon (1957) 3/10. Dull costume weepy. Nice colors, nice kimonos. Mrs. Jenkins says: “Zzzzzzzzzzz . . .”

Reminiscence / Thousand Cranes (1953) 10/10. Kozaburo Yoshimura adapts Kawabata’s famous novel. He is abetted by some incredible performances, including one by Michiyo Kogure  (as the very fetching older woman with something on her mind), and an even more amazing one by Haruko Sigimura (as the surrogate mom-from-hell). This is also a film where Miyagawa really shows his stuff with some very impressive camera moves. Mrs. Jenkins: “A near-perfect adaptation. Sigimura must be Japan’s greatest-ever screen actress!”

I take it all in all the honeymoon is doing good?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17764 : April 27, 2018, 02:51:14 AM »

I take it all in all the honeymoon is doing good?

It must be non stop, ya think? A lot of years to make up!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17765 : April 27, 2018, 04:32:31 AM »

It must be non stop, ya think? A lot of years to make up!
You mean, because there are so many films she hasn't seen yet? Yes, we're viewing them as fast as we can.

I've got a DVD of FAFDM with a Japanese language track. I may try that next.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17766 : April 27, 2018, 05:34:10 AM »

PLEASE SHARE THE EXPERIENCE HERE AFTERWARDS!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17767 : April 27, 2018, 07:35:44 AM »

Thumbs Up!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17768 : April 29, 2018, 02:24:51 AM »

Trois Couleurs : Bleu 9/10
I had not seen this one for years... Apart from the opening and closing scenes, that I watch on a regular basis. Terrific. I may steal the recurrent use of black screen + loud music in the middle of regular scenes to show the bursts of pain that come with mourning for my upcoming short movie (the one I partially shot in NYC).
I still have to give Blanc a shot. I bought it recently so i’ll Probably watch it within 2 weeks.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17769 : April 29, 2018, 02:55:48 AM »

to show the bursts of pain that come with mourning for my upcoming short movie (the one I partially shot in NYC).

Why are you mourning for it?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17770 : April 29, 2018, 02:57:08 AM »

No I'm not morning for my short, there is mourning in the short so I may use the same editing trick.

So I'm "stealing the mourning" for my short, I'm not "mourning for my short".

« : April 29, 2018, 02:58:30 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17771 : April 29, 2018, 03:27:14 AM »

OK it wasn't clear ;-)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17772 : April 29, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »

Trois Couleurs : Bleu 9/10
I had not seen this one for years... Apart from the opening and closing scenes, that I watch on a regular basis. Terrific. I may steal the recurrent use of black screen + loud music in the middle of regular scenes to show the bursts of pain that come with mourning for my upcoming short movie (the one I partially shot in NYC).
I still have to give Blanc a shot. I bought it recently so i’ll Probably watch it within 2 weeks.
You're not as stupid as you pretend to be, although for me TC:B will always be a 10. Apart from scenes in Leone, it is the greatest example of image and sound in perfect balance. Preisner's music is some of the best ever scored. The film's coda--where the repurposed "Song For the Unification of Europe" is used behind a final accounting of each of the film's characters, is truly stirring. And of course, the unity-for-Europe meme plays as wonderfully ironic now.

White is very funny, and provides both contrast and complement to Bleu.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17773 : April 29, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »

Nadine (1987)  In 1954, a beautician, Nadine Hightower (Kin Basinger) wants to get her 'art studies' photographs that she posed for a few years back from sleazy photographer Raymond Escobar (Jerry Stiller), he told her he was a scout for Playboy Magazine. Her visit to the photographer leaves him dead and her in possession of an envelope containing not her cheesecake images but instead photographs showing the right of way for the new highway. Valuable if you should happen to own or buy up the land it going to go over. Some one sees her splitting the scene,  so the police and the crooks who have her photos instead of the plans are after her. She persuades her almost ex-husband Vernon (Jeff Bridges) to sneak back into the crime scene to find the right set of photographs. Of course things go wrong. Rip Torn is Buford Pope the shady buisnessman. 6-7/10

« : April 29, 2018, 10:30:29 AM cigar joe »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #17774 : April 30, 2018, 03:51:44 AM »

The Conversation - 7/10
I was glad to see it again after all these years, but it doesn't offer much rewatch value. Everything is well crafted but pretty much on the nose. The hotel scene, although quite Lynchean (in a good way) isn't half as fascinating as it should, and I found myself checking my watch several times when I saw that scene coming. Still a good film.
Of course, decade after decade, the whole privacy theme of the film keeps finding new ways to resonate with current events.

« : April 30, 2018, 03:53:36 AM noodles_leone »

: 1 ... 1183 1184 [1185] 1186 1187 ... 1324  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines