Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2021, 08:14:35 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 1322
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3865049 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19020 : April 28, 2020, 07:39:24 AM »

I think he outdid QT at his own game ( PULP FICTION is far inferior)
hahaha

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19021 : April 28, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »

BAD TIMES is fantastic. It has a terrific subtext- it's really an elegy for the Sixties.
Watched it twice.
One of the best films of the decade.
So what if it's influenced by QT; QT's films are all influenced by other films( not a criticism)!
I think he outdid QT at his own game ( PULP FICTION is far inferior)
9/10
There's a world of difference between influence and emulation, this movie falls into the latter category, and yes, it's a legit criticism!

And when was the last time you saw Pulp Fiction?

All (or nearly all) films are influenced by other films, are build on ideas and standards set by older works of any kind, that's per se not a bad thing, as long as this is done with originality. And Bad Times at the El Royale is one of the (few) QT clones which is pretty good in that respect. And QT and a certain Sergio Leone belong to the masters in that discipline, so it is not a bad thing to be inspired by them.
Okay, but when Tarantino ripped off Vamp (1986) [From Dusk Till Dawn] and City on Fire (1987) [Reservoir Dogs] he did something interesting with another movie's premise, which is very common. When Serge ripped off Yojimbo (1961) something new came out of it - maybe the birth of the modern action movie, the spaghetti etc.

While I like this movie, it doesn't add anything to the 21st century Tarantino movie nor is it a satire or a critique of his work. It's just a well done impersonation when the source material was rich enough to subvert or differentiate from that in the third act. Instead it quadruples down. There's a reason why Corbucci, the director the least like Leone, is almost universally regarded as the second best director from the spaghetti era.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #19022 : April 28, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

There's a world of difference between influence and emulation, this movie falls into the latter category, and yes, it's a legit criticism!

And when was the last time you saw Pulp Fiction?
Okay, but when Tarantino ripped off Vamp (1986) [From Dusk Till Dawn] and City on Fire (1987) [Reservoir Dogs] he did something interesting with another movie's premise, which is very common. When Serge ripped off Yojimbo (1961) something new came out of it - maybe the birth of the modern action movie, the spaghetti etc.

While I like this movie, it doesn't add anything to the 21st century Tarantino movie nor is it a satire or a critique of his work. It's just a well done impersonation when the source material was rich enough to subvert or differentiate from that in the third act. Instead it quadruples down. There's a reason why Corbucci, the director the least like Leone, is almost universally regarded as the second best director from the spaghetti era.
I look at this film lime like THE BIG GUNDOWN; a masterful variation on the template.

TBG is a great film that. 'emulates' Leone in numerous ways- from the title sequence to the climactic gunfight set to the music of Morricone. But, it works because Sollima has his own story to tell with unique characters and plots
BT is much more than a QT riff. It contains many historical references and, as I said, has an overarching .' end.of the 60s' theme.

If you can watch these films as individual works, and forget the influence, both are tremendous films!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #19023 : April 28, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »

I'm a bit amused to read all the Tarantino champions.
Seems like most folks here don't much care for his fims.
Even the westerns !

I think DJANGO is excellent and H8 is a classic.
His crime films are not my favorites( I do like JB and RD)

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #19024 : April 28, 2020, 07:47:38 PM »

Jewish Gangster double bill:

BILLY BATHGATE
5/10

THE.COTTON CLUB ENCORE
4/10

There has never really been a great ' Kosher Kapone'  flic.
I had such high hopes for OUTIA, , but he abandoned.the theme after the wonderful ghetto section.

The best depiction may be in BOARDWALK EMPIRE season one. Lansky....Rothstein ....et. All.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19025 : April 29, 2020, 11:27:23 AM »

Stay Tuned (1992) - Surprisingly good and endlessly entertaining and fun. The humor can be a little cheesy at times but this is the rare movie that does its "characters sucked into the TV etc" premise a ton of justice and there are some excellent sequences, one of which is a Dollars Trilogy parody/homage. There are also Kubrick homages along with callbacks to classic Warner Bros stuff. Recommended. B

Zero Effect (1998) - While the script needed another draft and the pace should have been tightened up, there's enough of a detective story here for a worthy movie. It just could have been a hell of a lot better had the plot been more focused (it also would have helped had they ditched such dated music sans Nick Cave). Bill Pullman and Ben Stiller's performances keep this thing from going off the rails and it's probably something I'll revisit. B-

Death and the Maiden (1994) - Way too stagy for my tastes. Polanski should have shot this in scope and gone with a more cinematic approach. But I'm not an objective judge when it comes to the stage adaptation movie. I usually have little interest and I don't care for stageplays being filmed with long monologues, scene breaks, etc. C

I look at this film lime like THE BIG GUNDOWN; a masterful variation on the template.

TBG is a great film that. 'emulates' Leone in numerous ways- from the title sequence to the climactic gunfight set to the music of Morricone. But, it works because Sollima has his own story to tell with unique characters and plots
BT is much more than a QT riff. It contains many historical references and, as I said, has an overarching .' end.of the 60s' theme.
While I really like The Big Gundown, its Leone emulating (if you will) is what keeps it from reaching the heights of a Great Silence. I gave El Royale a fairly high score so it's not like I condemned it or anything. There's just a glass ceiling there.

Hey, I'm in the majority when it comes to thinking QT's best work was in the 90s. 

« : April 29, 2020, 11:28:54 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19026 : April 29, 2020, 11:56:16 AM »

Hey, I'm in the majority when it comes to thinking QT's best work was in the 90s.
One of the few times I too count myself among that group.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19027 : April 29, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »

Death and the Maiden (1994) - Way too stagy for my tastes.  I usually have little interest and I don't care for stageplays being filmed with long monologues, scene breaks, etc. C

Well, yes ...

While I really like The Big Gundown, its Leone emulating (if you will) is what keeps it from reaching the heights of a Great Silence.

Sollima was a good director, but far, far away from Leone and Corbucci. There ain't much originality in TBG, but it is a well enough made Spag in the wake of the Dollar films with some added politics, mostly done by dialogues.
While Sollima did the best with what he could, Corbucci somehow refused to become a legend. But his best westerns show a talent that could have rivaled Leone.

QT made some of his best films in the new century, so I can't agree with your 90s Statement. And his last film shows him back in great form.

« : April 30, 2020, 12:06:28 AM stanton »

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #19028 : April 29, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

MAIDEN is one of Polanski's BEST films!

Corbucci?
Not a fan of his work.

Btw Imho Morricone is the true AUTEUR of Italian Westerns.
Think about it!

Yes, QT is at the peak of his powers!

« : April 29, 2020, 02:01:23 PM uncknown »

moorman
Gunslinger

« #19029 : April 29, 2020, 09:55:24 PM »

MAIDEN is one of Polanski's BEST films!

Corbucci?
Not a fan of his work.

Btw Imho Morricone is the true AUTEUR of Italian Westerns.
Think about it!

Yes, QT is at the peak of his powers!
Corbucci's " The Great Silence " is better than anything Leone did....

moorman
Gunslinger

« #19030 : April 29, 2020, 10:01:24 PM »

All (or nearly all) films are influenced by other films, are build on ideas and standards set by older works of any kind, that's per se not a bad thing, as long as this is done with originality. And Bad Times at the El Royale is one of the (few) QT clones which is pretty good in that respect. And QT and a certain Sergio Leone belong to the masters in that discipline, so it is not a bad thing to be inspired by them.
  QT is a plagiarizer..lol...

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #19031 : April 30, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »

I'd...id..idi...

Yer on the wrong.site, pardner.;)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19032 : April 30, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »

BURN THE WITCH

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19033 : May 01, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »

Il mercenario and Il grande Silenzio are not on the level of GBU and OUTW, but yes, better than any other Leone film.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19034 : May 01, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »

Il mercenario and Il grande Silenzio are not on the level of GBU and OUTW, but yes, better than any other Leone film.

I would add For A Few Dollars More and OUTIA

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 1322  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines