Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2021, 07:59:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 1339
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4256673 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19035 : May 04, 2020, 01:42:04 PM »

Have you seen Keoma or Tepepa?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19036 : May 04, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »

If you include some of the Euro Westerns I like (Hossein, Guillermin, Mart?n, Winner, Kulik, Martino) along with Sollima, Damiani, Petroni, Baldi, Fulci, Valerii and Castellari too I'd go this way

10   Villa Rides
11   Une Cord un Colt

13   El Condor
13   Pancho Villa
13   Chato's Land

I do not include Euro-westerns if I make a Spagie list. But Une Cord un Colt is considered by most SWs fans as a SW. Actually probably by all if they do not include only films by Italian directors. It simply was made at the time and it has enough of the typical style.

A matter of definition of course, but for me all westerns from that time made by Italian or Spanish directors are Spags.
And films by US directors are US westerns, and it is not important if they were shot in Mexico, Spain, Canada or even Romania. There are a few exceptions though like Sledge or The Five Man Army, which are Spags for several reasons.

By other European produced westerns I check if their style is closer to a Spag or to a US Western. Red Sun is for me not a Spag, so that's an Euro western. El Condor is an US Western by a British director, and actually Chato's Land stands for me also closer to the US western than to other British produced westerns. Winner was at that time working mainly in or for Hollywood, and Chato's Land belongs clearly to the cycle of "Vietnam Westerns".
Actually apart from Chato's Land all Euro-Westerns are at best only ok, most are totally forgettable, at least I do not remember at the moment a single one which is worth to have on disc.

Well, in the end it's fun to think about this kind of definitions, but they are all westerns, and the really important question is are they entertaining or boring, are they good, bad or mediocre.

I'll give you tomorrow a list of about 50 Spags which are imo 7/10 or better. (with muchus Leonus)

« : May 04, 2020, 02:09:58 PM stanton »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19037 : May 04, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »

Have you seen Keoma or Tepepa?
I've seen parts of Tepepa and have been meaning to (re) watch it, so hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

I'm not the biggest Keoma fan, I found it to be a little too self-serious.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #19038 : May 04, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »

Hossein seems to be an extremely underrated director

And that's an understatement. If only the word had recognized his talents as a director rather than an actor (not that I'm knocking his acting at all), the world would be a richer place.

Mr.Cho-Cho
Bandido

Something to do with death

« #19039 : May 05, 2020, 02:29:36 AM »

I'm trying to get a copy of the Spaghetti Western 44 movie Mill Creek collection. I know the quality isn't going to be great, but there are a quite a few on there that I want to see, I'm hoping that The Grand Duel quality may also be better than my current copy, but I imagine it's the same.

I also really want to see Tepepa too as I love the music for that one, plus The Hellbenders and Kill Them All and Come Back Alone pique my interest. I also think I might as well get copies of all the Van Cleef spags to get through them all, so I need Captain Apache, God's Gun, El Condor and Beyond the Law.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19040 : May 05, 2020, 10:51:49 AM »

La noia / The Empty Canvas (1963) - 8/10. The adventures of Eurotrash, as adapted by Damiani from a novel by Moravia. Catherine Spaak is amazing. And Bette Davis speaks Italian!
Found it again: https://ok.ru/video/606162127502

UPDATE: taken down again!

« : June 08, 2021, 06:31:36 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19041 : May 05, 2020, 01:42:42 PM »

Les Dragueurs / The Chasers (1959) - 7/10. Jean-Pierre Mocky's debut about a night in the life of two Parisian skirt chasers. It's better than you'd think (and features some very hot female talent). The decadent party at the end seems to anticipate La Dolce Vita, but in this case things are kept interesting.
Even better than I remembered. I'm upping the rating to an "8." Hey, Jacques Charrier is the French Tim Matheson!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19042 : May 06, 2020, 08:18:23 AM »

Phoenix (1998) - A Bad Lieutenant influenced cop noir with a plot that may get a little too crazy but the photography is wonderful (shot in scope), as are the performances and some of the dialogue is top tier caliber stuff. This also moves at a feverish pace and is incredibly entertaining. Something of a hidden gem. Recommended. B

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19043 : May 07, 2020, 06:36:02 AM »

Intimidation/ Aru kyohaku (1960) - 2/10. A corrupt bank manager is blackmailed into robbing his own bank. A sound premise (done many times elsewhere), ruined in execution. The guy's plan is so inept you wonder how he could ever rise to the level of manager. And the ending is nonsensical. Worst of all: there are no interesting characters.  This film is not worth anyone's time.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19044 : May 07, 2020, 08:20:15 PM »

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018) - I'm somewhere in the middle of what Power and Stanton think of this one. SPOILERS ABOUND. The set design is impeccable, the main lobby of the hotel is essentially the main character in the movie. All the design choices are completely on point, though the soundtrack could have been better. But it looks great and is shot in scope, something that virtually every genre movie should be shot in.

As for the plot, it starts out strong, but it sort of unravels at it goes along, but it never completely veers off course. Once we see the conclusion of the shotgun scene with Dakota Johnson, Hamm, etc it dips in quality and there were some major missed opportunities. The owners of said lodge should have factored into the story and this needed a twist in the third act. The cult angle was a wasted opportunity when there should have been a LaBianca type of murder scene which would have fleshed out Dakota Johnson's one note character.

While the climax is entertaining, it's bogged down by cliches like a character attacking armed gunmen while tied in a chair and there was too much QT posturing. But with all that said, I like this movie more than The Hateful Eight and Django Unchained (of course Death Proof as well haha). While this may not reach the heights of Stealer's Wheel "Stuck in the Middle With You" in terms of excellent works that are uncomfortably similar to their main influence, El Royale is basically the movie version of The Black Crowes' Shake Your Moneymaker album in that it's good and sort of stands on its own, but can't escape its main influence (the Stones) but it's better than their inspirations' worst works. B

I couldn't wait for this to end thanks for wasting a couple of hours of my life  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19045 : May 07, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »

The Jesus Rolls (2020) - 3/10. That's "The Jesus" from The Big Lebowski, embodied once again by John Turturro. Maybe if this had been done in the spirit of a Coen Bros film it might have been something. Instead, Turturro (he also directed) decided to pointlessly remake Bertrand Blier's Les Valseuses/ Going Places. None of the manic energy of the original is communicated here--the cast of dinosaurs, for example, makes that impossible (contrast this with the first film, where the principals were in their 20s). And then Turturro completely botches the ending, making explicit what Blier had only suggested (and then Turturro pulls his punch anyway). I had to go back and rewatch scenes from the original just to scrape the crud from the remake off the bottom of my cerebellum. Why ever was this thing made?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19046 : May 09, 2020, 10:12:40 AM »

12:01 (1993) - This movie is viewed as a Groundhog Day rip off, but this is based off a short story and subsequent short film that were produced at least a few years before the 1993 classic - there was even a lawsuit filed against Groundhog Day. While this has some made-for-TV stank, it's filmed in full frame and has a very weak score, this is entertaining and worth a view if you'd be entertained by its Groundhog Day meets Back to the Future premise - just keep the expectations in check. Directed by Jack Sholder (The Hidden) and stars Jonathan Silverman, Jeremy Piven and Martin Landau. A generous B-

I couldn't wait for this to end thanks for wasting a couple of hours of my life  ;)
Did you at least appreciate the art design and soundtrack?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19047 : May 09, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »

Did you at least appreciate the art design and soundtrack?

Soundtrack was ok but the actual hotel set looked fake, and other little details looked fake, fer instance the bonfire scene no bonfire looks like that logs in a spacious looking tipi and you could tell it was propane flames, no sparks or smoke and propane looks more yellow.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19048 : May 09, 2020, 08:07:59 PM »

The Naked Street (1955) - 7/10. A mobster (Anthony Quinn) springs a condemned murderer (Farley Granger) because he got his sister (Anne Bancroft) pregnant. It all ends in tears. Crusading newspaperman Peter Graves has the story. This is a well-paced modest flick with solid production values and some great performances. And even though half way through the film the ending is telegraphed it's worth sticking around for just for how well it's executed. Amusing cameos by Joe Turkel and Lee Van Cleef add interest. Hey, Mickey Knox even gets credited as "Dialogue Director."

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19049 : May 10, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »

Ronin (1998) - A lot better than I remembered. Not a two scene movie either, this one moves at a hellish pace and its simple but convoluted plot really works and keeps things consistently entertaining. Unfortunately, the Tubi and Youtube versions are 1.85:1 and not its original aspect ratio of 2.39:1. So visually, I feel like I may not have saw it under the best circumstances but I'll be picking up the Arrow bluray and maybe it will bump up the grade some. B+

« : May 10, 2020, 09:58:18 AM T.H. »

: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 1339  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines