Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2024, 06:48:19 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1401
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5046699 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #19590 : February 15, 2021, 04:46:16 PM »

I Compagni [The Organizer] 1963. Mario Monicelli. Workers in a 19th Century Turin textile factory have trouble organizing to demand better conditions until the arrival of a professional agitator (Marcello Mastroianni). Despite the subject matter, this is a highly entertaining film, an ensemble piece handled with a very light touch. Achieving this level of entertainment, however, required several concessions. First, the characters are all stereotypes: the idealized idealistic intellectual, the young firebrand in need of grounding, the hooker with a heart of gold, the big dumb ox, the cunning-as-rats managers. Also, the terrible factory conditions are so lovingly photographed (in b &w by Giuseppe Rotunno) that one can actually become nostalgic for them. Still, this is a better film than either Germinal (1993) or Matewan (1987); in fact, John Sayles can only wish he could make such a good picture. 4/5
Great picture. Too bad Criterion decided to give it a high-contrast transfer, blowing out the whites and obscuring shadow details. Rotunno's cinematography deserves better.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19591 : February 16, 2021, 03:08:17 AM »

Only the first season I assume?

The first three are on Blu and there is a 4th and 5th season possibly on Amazon Prime don't know if they have a Blu for them and the 6th is filming.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19592 : February 16, 2021, 05:05:41 AM »

The first three are on Blu and there is a 4th and 5th season possibly on Amazon Prime don't know if they have a Blu for them and the 6th is filming.

I know, I just watched the 2nd season, which improves the story and the characters, and if you like it already, you should go on.

It should have been cancelled after season 3, but Bezos was amongst the fans, and he rescued the show by taking it to Prime, but that also means we won't get Blus in the near future.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19593 : February 16, 2021, 01:20:19 PM »

All That Jazz (1979) - 7/10. 1080p. Death, The Musical. Yeah, Mr. Fosse, we get it--but Bob just keeps hammering away, extending the runtime needlessly. It all could have been so much more succinct, so much more pointed, especially if they'd Deep Sixed stuff like "Everything Old is New Again," where Ann Reinking and the girl playing Roy Scheider's daughter do their routine. How, um, Disney. Oh well, the photography by the great Giuseppe Rotunno is very nice.
Yeah, the ending needed to be cut way down. The first two acts are virtually flawless, but then the finale drags. Of course there's a gag in there--when the number's over he's dead, so the dancer has to keep things moving for as long as he can--but the point is obvious and becomes wearisome. And the Gideon character is obnoxiously smug (especially when baring/ trumpeting his shortcomings as a father and husband). I could not wait for him to die.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19594 : February 19, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »

Nomadland (2021) - 10/10. Chloe Zhao makes the film of the year and Francis McDormand heads for her next Oscar nom. McDormand plays Fern, a woman who has lost everything but her indomitable will, who dedicates herself to living the life of a modern American nomad, encountering, as she travels, a variety of like-minded people. The really interesting thing about the film is how like a documentary it is. To underscore this, all the characters are played by "actors" using their real names, and the film is filled with people who have never been on screen before. The story is subtle enough to fool many into thinking nothing much happens (and the basis for the film comes from a non-fiction book about the nomad sub-culture). The film eschews elaborate camera movements and instead uses very simple set-ups that do not call attention to themselves. This serves the movie by allowing the characters and locations to be the stars rather than the director (and scenes depicting Nevada, Nebraska, South Dakota, and the Northern California coast are a welcome change from the usual A-listers). Maybe we can finally toss all the bullshit artists in the film biz into the rubbish bin of history. Here's hoping Zhao's example will inspire a thousand similar films.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19595 : February 20, 2021, 03:48:08 AM »

Nomadland (2021) - 10/10. Chloe Zhao makes the film of the year and Francis McDormand heads for her next Oscar nom. McDormand plays Fern, a woman who has lost everything but her indomitable will, who dedicates herself to living the life of a modern American nomad, encountering, as she travels, a variety of like-minded people. The really interesting thing about the film is how like a documentary it is. To underscore this, all the characters are played by "actors" using their real names, and the film is filled with people who have never been on screen before. The story is subtle enough to fool many into thinking nothing much happens (and the basis for the film comes from a non-fiction book about the nomad sub-culture). The film eschews elaborate camera movements and instead uses very simple set-ups that do not call attention to themselves. This serves the movie by allowing the characters and locations to be the stars rather than the director (and scenes depicting Nevada, Nebraska, South Dakota, and the Northern California coast are a welcome change from the usual A-listers). Maybe we can finally toss all the bullshit artists in the film biz into the rubbish bin of history. Here's hoping Zhao's example will inspire a thousand similar films.

Sounds interesting how did you watch this?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19596 : February 20, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »

Sounds interesting how did you watch this?
In the Cinema 15 multi-plex in White Plains. Yeah, CJ, you might like this one, if you're willing to go with something that doesn't have a lot of plot. The western U.S. looks fabulous--I'd like to go there sometime.

San Francisco (1936) - 8/10. Warner Archive blu: 10/10. https://trailersfromhell.com/san-francisco/

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19597 : February 21, 2021, 06:58:25 AM »

The Morricone Duel (2018) - 9/10. The Danish National Orchestra plays the maestro's greatest film hits, plus stuff by some other guys. A lot of this, if not all, has been chopped up and put on YouTube, but Cusser, recently in one of the Morricone threads, tipped us to the fact the whole concert is available on amazon Prime, allowing us to watch the whole thing in sequence. Then I realized there was a blu-ray available as well--it came almost as soon as ordered. The "duel" of the title refers to the fact that all the material comes from movies featuring gun violence, Westerns and gangster films mostly, but here the violence is, you could say, celebrated. The Morricone stuff is done with as much original instrumentation as possible (whistles, guitars, a harmonica), but the arrangements tend to be simple medleys. For example, OUATITW is represented by a single piece that incorporates the four main themes. So it begins with Man With a Harmonica/Frank's Theme which peters out and then we get a few bars of Cheyenne's Theme before ending with Jill's Theme, each section discrete. This is OK but not particularly imaginative. A much better approach is the one they take when doing Herrmann's Taxi Driver: theme, variation, a coda that returns to the opening. Morricone's scores for the Dollars films are represented, as well a OUATITW and OUATIA, The Big Gundown, The Untouchables, The Hateful Eight, The Sicilian Clan. The concert finishes with Rota's The Godfather. The only clunker in the program is Sonny and Cher's "Bang, Bang" (WTF?).  The encore is For a Few Dollars More, which they fool around a bit with, and then end by having select members of the orchestra firing blanks at each other. Uh, they could have left out the cute stuff.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19598 : February 22, 2021, 01:48:14 PM »

Baby Doll (1956) - 3/10.  Wow, what a great looking blu-ray, and wow, what a wretched film. Boris Kaufman's photography is amazing, and Kazan's direction can't be faulted. The failure lies with Tennessee Williams' dull, dull, script. Three idiotic characters talk and talk and talk about things I care nothing about. Couldn't wait for this one to end.

« : February 22, 2021, 01:51:35 PM dave jenkins »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19599 : February 22, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »

Baby Doll (1956) - 3/10.  Wow, what a great looking blu-ray, and wow, what a wretched film. Boris Kaufman's photography is amazing, and Kazan's direction can't be faulted. The failure lies with Tennessee Williams' dull, dull, script. Three idiotic characters talk and talk and talk about things I care nothing about. Couldn't wait for this one to end.

The story ain?t great, but with a performance like that from Wallach (I believe his first movie role, BTW), and also Karl Malden, 3/10 seems low

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19600 : February 23, 2021, 02:59:59 AM »

Captain Fantastic (2016) 7/10
Nice one. It's a shame Viggo's character arc is too simple. I'd have liked to see someone smart attack his views too, and not only the craziest stuff that endengers his kids and make them borderline asocial. I was deeply moved by the way grandparental (or whatever the right word would be) love is portrayed.

Tale of Cinema (2005) 7.5/10
I'm not too much into naturalism, but that one is very powerful. If you're into these things, you could even think it's close to being a masterpiece. The idea is to show that cinema and life are the same. Or at least, they should be.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19601 : February 23, 2021, 05:07:09 AM »

It's been years since I've seen this, but I completely agree with you -- though I don't remember the photography being very cinematic. To me, Kazan's movies are incredibly stagy, and not cinematic in the least. And while the acting was influential and different for its time, I don't believe it has aged well outside of moments like the car scene with Brando and Steiger, which is much more understated than the typical hammy stage acting found in Kazan's movies. I also don't appreciate actors like Mitchum, Cooper, Stanwyck, etc etc being indirectly trashed by those that think that Brando and Kazan invented film acting.

Of all the so-called greats of the classic era, Kazan is far and away my least favorite. A Face in the Crowd and East of Eden are the only movies of his that I would re-watch. I can see the influence on Scorsese, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy the overwhelming majority of his stuff.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19602 : February 23, 2021, 05:13:31 AM »

Wolf (1994) - 6/10. This movie has a single gag and it runs it into the ground: in the dog-eat-dog world of business, it's better to be a wolf. Jack Nicholson plays a man in transition, and something of a wolf evangelist, spreading the good news to others. James Spader is very good as a conniving little shit. I like this slight film, but my fun is spoiled a bit by the silly looking appliances Nicholson has to wear, the inept use of slow-mo that turns all the action scenes into bad 80s TV, and the insistence by the filmmakers that the Bradbury Building, that famous LA landmark, is located in Manhattan.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19603 : February 23, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »

Native Son (1951) Director: Pierre Chenal (Sinners of Paris (1958)) written by Pierre Chenal and Richard Wright and based on the novel by Richard Wright. The film stars Richard Wright, Jean Wallace, Nicholas Joy Gloria Madison, Charles Cane, and George Rigaud.

Interesting film noir that delves into race relations with Buenos Aries filling in for Chicago. 6/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19604 : February 23, 2021, 08:27:38 PM »

It's been years since I've seen this, but I completely agree with you -- though I don't remember the photography being very cinematic. To me, Kazan's movies are incredibly stagy, and not cinematic in the least. And while the acting was influential and different for its time, I don't believe it has aged well outside of moments like the car scene with Brando and Steiger, which is much more understated than the typical hammy stage acting found in Kazan's movies. I also don't appreciate actors like Mitchum, Cooper, Stanwyck, etc etc being indirectly trashed by those that think that Brando and Kazan invented film acting.

Of all the so-called greats of the classic era, Kazan is far and away my least favorite. A Face in the Crowd and East of Eden are the only movies of his that I would re-watch. I can see the influence on Scorsese, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy the overwhelming majority of his stuff.

I can appreciate Brando as well as classic actors.

I disagree with you on Kazan. A Streetcar Named Desire is one of my very favorite movies of all-time, which I re-watch frequently.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1401  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines