Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2022, 06:17:34 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 ... 1370
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4775109 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19620 : March 18, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) - The transfer on that Shout steelbook is fantastic. The soundtrack is so damn inventive, and what a combination of Rio Bravo + Night of the Living Dead. This is one of the better late night or B movies ever made. And probably the first 80s feeling and sounding movie. A+

Yeah yeah yeah, another shitty "Carpenter screwing up a great film" flick.

Just kidding, I like this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« #19621 : March 18, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »

The Father (2021) - 9/10. Anthony Hopkins slowly--and then suddenly--going batty. A few years back, when this was a play on Broadway, Drink and I watched the impressive Frank Langella perform the title role. Hopkins may be better. The play was always cinematic, so this adaptation (directed by Florian Zeller, the man who wrote the play) works well. The story may be even better as a film: in the play we gradually understand that everything we see is a product of the old man's mind. The film on the other hand allows an occasional insight into the minds of the other characters, chiefly that of the old man's daughter. The story seems more complete that way. Still, a bit of a downer. But now with 6 Oscar noms!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19622 : March 19, 2021, 12:07:33 AM »

The Father (2021) - 9/10. Anthony Hopkins slowly--and then suddenly--going batty. A few years back, when this was a play on Broadway, Drink and I watched the impressive Frank Langella perform the title role. Hopkins may be better. The play was always cinematic, so this adaptation (directed by Florian Zeller, the man who wrote the play) works well. The story may be even better as a film: in the play we gradually understand that everything we see is a product of the old man's mind. The film on the other hand allows an occasional insight into the minds of the other characters, chiefly that of the old man's daughter. The story seems more complete that way. Still, a bit of a downer. But now with 6 Oscar noms!

I have not seen the movie. In the play, the acting was very good, but I did not like the story.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19623 : March 19, 2021, 03:59:04 PM »

a combination of Rio Bravo + Night of the Living Dead
That's a great summation, and if it's yours, good work. If you took it from somewhere, then, well spotted.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19624 : March 20, 2021, 07:08:56 AM »

With the increasing racial bias/prejudice - or at least the increasing media publicity of such events in the USA - and my former employer being bought by a German company 15 years ago, I felt it was time to re-visit World War 2 events.  So last night I watched Run Boy Run (2013) a polish film about an 8-year-od boy who survives for 3 years during the war hiding and surviving from the Nazis.  I rate this 7/10.

And amazing how much resources the Nazis spent trying to find/deport/kill this one boy...

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19625 : March 20, 2021, 09:12:11 AM »

That's a great summation, and if it's yours, good work. If you took it from somewhere, then, well spotted.
I'm not the first person to point out the Night of the Living Dead influence, but I never saw a Rio Bravo + Night of the Living Dead theory or what have you. So maybe I deserve 50% credit. Maybe less.

« : March 20, 2021, 09:16:18 AM T.H. »

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19626 : March 21, 2021, 09:57:10 AM »

De Bruit et de Fureur (1988) 7-/10
Nice little film about the "banlieues" (suburbs/ghettos) in France. That one takes place in Bagnolet, which seemed to be much more ethnically homogeneous at the time than in it now. It also seemed to experience exactly the same issues that Bagnolet is plagued with nowadays. It was a nice experience to see Bruno Cremer as some kind of gun enthusiast criminal with an anarchist background. A long way from comissaire Maigret.

Phantom Thread (2017) 9/10
The more I watch this one, the deeper I dive into it and the more I love it.

Oh Mercy! (2019) 6/10
Desplechin's first dive into something that isn't his (own) bourgeoisie in a long time. Unfortunately, once more, he cannot help but take a point of view that is very bourgeois: we mostly follow an educated, catholic cop that doesn't belong there and a benevolent Arabic chief of police (two acceptable cinematic characters, but who are too far away from whoever you'd find in Roubaix' police station to belong in something that tries to be a "social" film). The film is pretty good, unfortunately it relies too much on Lea Seydoux playing a almost homeless character. I mean, contrarily to what is often said, she's a pretty good actress and proves it once again here. But when she opens the mouth, she cannot make you forget she comes from the money.

La La Land (2016) 8/10
This one is too much of a classic for me now, I don't think its flaws bother me at all anymore.

« : March 21, 2021, 11:49:22 AM noodles_leone »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #19627 : March 22, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »

"Suspect Zero".  I'd avoid this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19628 : March 22, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) -  a combination of Rio Bravo + Night of the Living Dead.
Not to short-change the master, it also includes this exchange:

Why did you kill those men?

Everybody asks me the same question. I always tell them the same thing. First time I ever saw a preacher, he said to me, "Son, there's something strange about you. You got something to do with death." Being real young, I believed him. Turned out he was right.

That's no answer.

I thought it was pretty good.

Where'd you get a name like Napoleon?

I'll tell you sometime.

When?

Moment of dying.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #19629 : March 22, 2021, 09:26:01 PM »

"Secrets of War"/Oorlogsgeheimen (2014) 8/10.  WW2 film about kids in german-occupied Netherlands, in Dutch with English subtitles.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19630 : March 23, 2021, 03:17:22 AM »

Magnolia (1999) 8+/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19631 : March 23, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
Some of the pleasures to had from this picture are meta-cinematic. The casting of Kim Richards, for example, who at the time was Disney royalty, was a stroke of genius. The first time through I never imagined that she'd be iced/creamed in early innings. And the way Frank Doubleday casualty slaughters her always makes me laugh. Wow, Kim with a squib going off; it must have been a first. A great gag is available to us in the opening credit roll, which most won't notice until a re-watch. Kim's credit goes up last, and it's something like "and Kim Richards as Kathy," as if she were taking a significant role in the film. I chuckle at that one too each time.

Another pleasure is seeing the work of the mysterious Laurie Zimmer, mysterious because she soon left the business after making the picture. She also had an interesting presence in her many scenes, and of course, she was easy to look at. I have the Second Sight edition of the film, and among its many extras is a documentary by a French filmmaker who, in 2001 or thereabouts, tried to track her down. An interesting story in its own right.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19632 : March 25, 2021, 04:06:45 PM »

A Colt is My Passport (1967)  a good Japanese underworld film blending  gangster movies, spaghetti westerns, and neo noir. 7/10

Watched it again fun flick, a little French New Wave in there too, upping it to 7.5 -8/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19633 : March 25, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »

Algiers (1938) 7/10

Hollywood re-make of the 1937 French film Pepe le Moko starring Jean Gabin. Here, the role of Pepe is played by Charles Boyer. Hedy Lamarrm in her first Hollywood movie, plays the beautiful woman Pepe is enchanted by.

I saw this on TCM. The print was pretty crappy. Not surprising, considering that the film is now in the public domain. There doesn't seem to have been any normal DVD release either.

I saw Pepe le Moko once, several years ago, but I don't remember it in enough detail to compare the two movies. I recall that the TCM host said that Algiers tracks Pepe le Moko pretty closely.

Pepe le Moko will be showing on Noir Alley this week, so I'll be able to see it again.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19634 : March 26, 2021, 07:33:59 AM »

Ride Lonesome (1959) - 7/10. Sixth viewing. A proto-Leone that would have been better with more story. The dedicated thread is worth reading through, I did that just now: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4789.0  I continue to thrill to the stunt with Brigade's horse riding into the ruined outpost during an Indian attack, clearing the wall, and then putting the beast down on its side to protect it. A great idea (worthy of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs) flawlessly executed in a single take with no cuts. The bit with nursing the horse through the night is great too. It won't get up, but Brigade holds out hope that it will feel better in the morning and won't have to be shot. In the morning there's a bunch of nonsense with James Best stealing a rifle and then being bluffed out of using it. Parnell Roberts then demonstrates that it WAS a bluff by discharging the weapon. At the sound, the ailing horse jumps to its feet. That's entertainment.

: 1 ... 1307 1308 [1309] 1310 1311 ... 1370  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines