Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2021, 06:00:26 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 1322
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3871463 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19695 : April 30, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1968) - 11/10. During the U.S. Civil War, an enterprising Mexican immigrant named Tuco, hot on the trail of a fortune in buried coins, must contend with both a ruthless killer and a conniving gringo. Will there be justice for Tuco? Fantastic cast: Our hero is played by Eli Wallach (TV's Shirley Temple's Storybook); the villains are, respectively, Lee Van Cleef (Bandits of Corsica) and Clint Eastwood (The First Traveling Saleslady). Now looking better than ever in a new dual format release from Kino Lorber!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #19696 : May 01, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1968) - 11/10. During the U.S. Civil War, an enterprising Mexican immigrant named Tuco, hot on the trail of a fortune in buried coins, must contend with both a ruthless killer and a conniving gringo. Will there be justice for Tuco? Fantastic cast: Our hero is played by Eli Wallach (TV's Shirley Temple's Storybook); the villains are, respectively, Lee Van Cleef (Bandits of Corsica) and Clint Eastwood (The First Traveling Saleslady). Now looking better than ever in a new dual format release from Kino Lorber!
i also just got this 4K release. I skimmed it for less than a minute and it looks incredible. Hoping to watch the whole thing tomorrow. My pre-emptive rating is 12/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19697 : May 02, 2021, 02:26:35 AM »

Don't fight, guys.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19698 : May 03, 2021, 06:15:02 AM »

I saw GBU at theater at first Arizona release in 1968.

I was super-stoked when I first got to see the DVD with the extra scenes in Italian with English subtitles.  With the early 2000s restoration with English voices, and the extended-track CDs being made, I was satisfied completely.  I was fortunate-enough to see the Leone exhibition at the Autry museum in Los Angeles too.  And to visit the arch from Once Upon a Time in the West.  I've been blessed.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19699 : May 03, 2021, 11:42:42 AM »

I saw GBU at theater at first Arizona release in 1968.

And your rating?

A Fistful of Dollars (1964) - 8/10.  There's an iconic shot early in the picture: we see a noose hanging from a tree, then the camera pulls back to reveal Joe riding past it into town. The previous shot had Joe looking up at something. It might have been the noose, but we can't be sure. Leone wrong-foots the viewer with the cut here: we assume from the reaction shot of Joe that when we cut we are moving to Joe's POV. And we think we are seeing the noose as Joe sees it, but then we understand the shot is objective rather than subjective. This is an old David Lean trick (he used it with Holden in Kwai, maybe even earlier). I've seen that cut two dozen times and it never really registered before. You can never exhaust Leone; there's always more to find.

I watched this on the Ripley's disc which, of course, is very, very good. But now with the Kino FAFDM to compare it with we see it is not as good as it could be. The skin tones throughout the FAFDM disc are perfect 95% of the time. You cannot say that about the Ripley's.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19700 : May 03, 2021, 12:06:01 PM »

Only 8/10 for FoD? HERESY!!! >:D

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19701 : May 03, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »

I also feel that Fistful is not up to the quality of FDM, GBU, or Once/West.  Those three are 10 rating.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19702 : May 03, 2021, 06:01:25 PM »

I also feel that Fistful is not up to the quality of FDM, GBU, or Once/West.  Those three are 10 rating.

I agree with that. FoD is 9.9999999/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19703 : May 04, 2021, 12:16:36 AM »

8/10 is ok for both FoD and FaFDM.

There wouldn't be a SL forum here if Leone hadn't progressed very much from these 2 films. Point is both contain 10er stuff, which most other 8/10 films don't do.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19704 : May 04, 2021, 12:19:54 AM »

8/10 is ok for both FoD and FaFDM.

There wouldn't be a SL forum here if Leone hadn't progressed very much from these 2 films. Point is both contain 10er stuff, which most other 8/10 films don't do.

Stanton is right! I'd rate FoD lower though. I really have trouble watching it all in once sitting. But I could watch all its good parts over and over whole day long.

« : May 04, 2021, 08:37:54 AM noodles_leone »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19705 : May 04, 2021, 07:10:06 AM »

Yojimbo (1961) - 8/10. After watching FOD the other night I had to follow up with this. It's really tough to choose between the two films--both have different strengths. Ultimately, though, I think I slightly prefer Kurosawa's film, and it comes down to the cinematography. Leone had "Jack Dalmas", who is good, he's just no Kazuo Miyagawa. Miyagawa is rightly regarded as Japan's greatest cinematographer and the proof is there in Yojimbo (and a whole lot of Mizoguchi). Anyway, we have a thread dedicated to comparing the films: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=216.0

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19706 : May 04, 2021, 01:38:18 PM »

Stanton is right! I'd rate FoD lower though. I really have trouble watching it all in once sitting. But I could watch all its good parts over and over whole day long.

I've watched it straight many times.

On another note, I recently had Netflix N Chill night with Miss Baltimore, so I showed her FAFDM - and she loved it! Then  I decided to mix things up with a melodrama; halfway through she says, "Let's watch another Western!" So I showed her GBU. As I expected, the first part moved a bit slow for someone not used to the Leone pace, but as it picked up, she really enjoyed it, now she is a Leone fan!!!!! Plus she has Double D?s. This babe might be a keeper >:D

« : May 06, 2021, 01:30:31 PM drinkanddestroy »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19707 : May 06, 2021, 06:08:18 AM »

Put her on the board!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19708 : May 06, 2021, 01:29:13 PM »

Put her on the board!

you mean the same board where I conduct what Trump would refer to as "locker room talk"? No fucking way  ;D

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19709 : May 07, 2021, 01:15:18 PM »

Wrath of Man (2021) - 10/10.
Statham is back! Guy Ritchie is back! Massive firefights and high body counts: back and back! And it's all in glorious IMAX (which is also back). Great plot, with due consideration for a variety of characters and their backstories. Yeah, baby!

: 1 ... 1312 1313 [1314] 1315 1316 ... 1322  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines