Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2021, 10:35:50 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 12 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1325
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 3954714 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19800 : June 08, 2021, 03:52:52 AM »

Hmm, I expect The Sunchaser to be terrible, just like Desperate Hours was very terrible.

The Sunchaser shares a lot of post Year Of The Dragon flaws:
- tendency to replace actual camerwork with typical late 80's/90's fast paced editing
- terrible music that's used in a typical hollywoodian way
- the film rarely takes the time to let a real scene play out

All these things are radicaly different from Cimino's first 4 movies, and it changes everything. That being said, The Sunchaser works. It's pretty fun and features moment of pure Cimino brilliance. More importantly, it may very well be his most personnal film, and you can feel it. Just like you can feel Cimino is much more at ease once the film leaves the city to enter the great American outdoors. It fits him way more than any Desperate Hour/The Sicilian bullshit. And Woody Harrelson is great in a character very unlike what he usually does.

So yes, definitely heavily flawed but worth a watch, or more: I've actually seen it twice in a couple of months and it got even better the second time around.

« : June 08, 2021, 03:54:10 AM noodles_leone »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19801 : June 08, 2021, 03:54:05 AM »

Peril en la demeure/ Peril/ Death in a French Garden (1985) - 5/10. The plot, which is ridiculous, is summarized on IMDb thus: "A magnate and his younger wife hire David to teach guitar to their teenage daughter. The wife quickly seduces David, and simultaneously he strikes up an acquaintance with the family's inquisitive neighbor. One night, David is mugged but rescued from injury by a stranger, Daniel, who also becomes David's friend and admits to being a hit man. Video tapes of their activities appear in the lovers' mail; David thinks they're from the neighbor, Daniel is sure the husband is onto the affair and hired the mugger. After Daniel tells David that he's been hired to kill the husband . . ." things get even more improbable. There are a couple things about the movie that make it worth watching. One is Nicole Garcia taking her clothes off; the other is the many inventive scene transitions that quickly move us from place to place and fast-forward the action. I've never seen so many in a single picture, and several are very clever. If this film were being scored for editing only it would get a 10/10. Someone named Michel Deville made this film. Who he?

Deville was an underrated director of mostly elegantly told stories with a slight erotic content, which is in Peril en la demeure not that slight.

I always have enjoyed Peril en la demeure very much, but haven't watched it for a long time. 8/10

Time for a rewatch ...

Other notable films by Deville are Le mouton enrage (1974), La lectrice (1988), Toutes peines confondues (1992) or Benjamin ou Les memoires d'un puceau (1966).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Deville

« : June 08, 2021, 04:10:04 AM stanton »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19802 : June 08, 2021, 05:24:34 AM »

stanton, thanks!

UPDATE: Turns out I've seen Le mouton enrage and didn't connect it with Deville. Hmm, maybe it's time for a re-watch.

« : June 08, 2021, 06:38:54 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19803 : June 08, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »

The Last Detail (1973) 9/10 DCP Restoration. I generally hate Hal Ashby films, but this one I not only tolerate, I really enjoy. Must have something to do with the original novel and Robert Towne's screenplay. Anyway, how many films can you name that make fun of Nichiren Buddhism? Then there's Nicholson's performance, the great 70s atmosphere, the photography of Michael Chapman. True, the image seems a little soft here--this is nothing like the restoration done on Taxi Driver, but I'm guessing there's only so much one can do with the original elements--but this is probably what audiences saw at the time. Hard to believe that there was once a year when Hollywood could release this, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle, all within the space of a few months. We'll never see a year like that again.
Saw it again on blu. I'm now less happy with the transfer. It really needs a restoration and new scan.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19804 : June 11, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »

Minari (2020) - 7/10. A family of Korean immigrants tries their hand at farming in 1980s Arkansas. A conventional story conventionally told, with a cast of appealing Korean and Korean-American actors. It's OK.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19805 : June 12, 2021, 03:40:05 AM »

Minari (2020) - 7/10. A family of Korean immigrants tries their hand at farming in 1980s Arkansas. A conventional story conventionally told, with a cast of appealing Korean and Korean-American actors. It's OK.

I felt about the same way

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19806 : June 12, 2021, 04:09:46 AM »

The Penthouse (1967) Two lunatics (Tony Beckley & Norman Rodway) terrorize Suzy Kendall a shop girl, and Terence Morgan, an estate agent in their current "love nest," the penthouse of one of his vacationing clients. 7/10

Women Are Like That (Comment qu'elle est?) (1960) The Fifth Lemmy Caution Flick - Directed by Bernard Borderie starring Eddie Constantine.

Over time Eddie Constantine grows on you. You can see how his long running Lemmy Caution FBI character, was very similar in appeal to the French as Eastwood's Dirty Harry SFPD inspector was to Americans.

Instead of Harry's trademark of a .44 magnum, and his ionic phrases i.e. "the most powerful handgun in the world," Lemmy's trademarks are heavy drinking, a whiskey bottle, his fisticuffs, and a reputation for being a crazy fish out of water American, which he himself plays up in amusing ways to distract his potential enemies. He's also besides all that somewhat of a pussy hound, lol.

This film even has a sequence that just might have been homaged, or in the sincerest form of flattery stolen and reused in Paul Newman's The Drowning Pool, you'll know it when you see it. 7/10

No Way To Treat A Lady
(1968) Rod Steiger is Christopher Gill a chameleon theater owner with mommy problems that manifest themselves resulting in strangled old ladies with a lipstick kiss off drawn on their foreheads. With George Segal,  Lee Remick, and Elene Heckert 7.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19807 : June 13, 2021, 06:54:36 AM »

Last week Mrs. Cusser and I watched "Woman in the Window" on Netflix, felt that was mediocre.

Last night we went out and saw a film, the first time we'd been out to see a film since the start of Covid-19 1.5 years ago.  We saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at the theater; I hadn't seen this big screen since its original release in 1981. Of course, great film. Additional thoughts:
...John Williams' film score really hit the moods of the scenes (like Morricone did with GBU). Williams really blossomed after doing music for stuff like Gilligan's Island (as Johnny Williams).
...Raiders is definitely a film about films, from the movie serial stuff, the vehicle chase stuff reminiscent of "Stagecoach", how Indiana simply shoots the expert sword-wielder instead of confronting him at his own specialty.
...I also couldn't help imagining Christoph Waltz portraying the creepy Nazi.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19808 : June 13, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »

Last week Mrs. Cusser and I watched "Woman in the Window" on Netflix, felt that was mediocre.

You referring to the 1944 movie or the 2021? I have not seen 2021. The 1944 is a terrific movie, but for the crappy ending.

« : June 14, 2021, 12:05:14 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #19809 : June 13, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »

You referring to the 1944 movie or the 2021? I have not seen 2021. The 1944 it is a terrific movie, but for the crappy ending.

2021.  Was apparently made in 2019, did not test well, was re-edited, sold to NetFlix.  Amy Adams could not save this.  Too much drawn from Rear Window.

1944 film seems well worth watching.

« : June 13, 2021, 09:12:09 PM Cusser »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19810 : June 14, 2021, 08:06:28 PM »

Memories of Murder (2003) - 8/10. Wow, a Korean film I actually like. And it's by Bong Joon Ho! (I hated Parasite). This one is about a police investigation of a serial killer in the 1980s--Korea's answer to Zodiac, if you will. The film is by turns chilling and hilarious--the police are so incompetent there are numerous laugh-out-loud scenes. There's nothing funny about the killings, though. Apparently, the actual case this is based on wasn't solved until 2019, 16 years after the film was made. The crimes are real, but the investigation as depicted, I think, is mostly fictional. Still, there are nice touches that lend authenticity at times. For example, late in the film an officer fires his weapon into a train tunnel. The filmmakers took the trouble to show the ricochet. I very much appreciated that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19811 : June 16, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »

Wrong Move (1975) - 8/10. I was finally able to enjoy watching it this time, maybe because Mrs. Jenkins was along and she was enjoying it. Maybe the ideas in the picture are less important than the characters. Anyway, liking the characters seems like a good way into the picture, and for some reason, this time I was able to respond warmly to them all. It also helps that the lighting throughout the film is superb.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19812 : June 16, 2021, 09:38:36 PM »

Mahler (1974)

A supposed biopic of the legendary composer and conductor (directed by Ken Russel, starring Robert Powell), which the TCM host said is quite fictionalized. I don't know much about Mahler's life so I have no comment on the fictionalization, but I can say it is quite weird.

The movie is set as Mahler, sickly and with a crumbling marriage, takes a train journey with his wife (Georgina Hale), and has flashbacks about episodes on his life. But many of these episodes are presented as surrealistic and nightmarish, in many cases largely silent. Weirdest of all is the one where Mahler, a Jew, converts to Catholicism so that Cosima Wagner will agree to let him become director of the Vienna Court Opera. This surreal flashback shows Cosima dressed as a Nazi, goose-stepping and giving the Sieg Heil salute, while Mahler grovels before her, burning the Star of David and embracing the cross, culminating in Mahler eating a pig's head and swigging a glass of milk, all while Mahler and Cosima sing their lines to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries.

And there's a scene where Mahler has nightmare of his own death-during his funeral at the cemetery he's alive in the coffin and yelling that they let him out, but of course he is ignored, as his wife literally dances on his grave, and she gets frisky with the soldier whom she is having an affair with in real life, then his coffin-with him still alive, of course-is rolled into the crematorium (perhaps another Nazi reference?)

I'm not very familiar with Mahler's music; I think I listened to a minute here or there once or twice and nothing grabbed me. I presume the film score is Mahler music (with the exception, of course, of the Ride of the Valkyries scene), and none of it makes me want to run out and listen to Mahler. (As opposed to, for example, Immortal Beloved, which I saw at 16 years old and whose score instantly made me a Beethoven fan.)

One thing you can definitely say about this movie-it's quite bold and ambitious. If surrealistic and nightmarish fantasies are your thing, go ahead and enjoy it.

Powell is no doppleganger for Mahler, but it's reasonable enough; he has Mahler's long, thin face. But he actually looks quite like Bob Dylan  tinyurl.com/2mhme3b8

« : June 17, 2021, 09:18:35 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19813 : June 16, 2021, 09:56:29 PM »

So I just saw the 1946 movie about 3 U.S. servicemen returning from World War II and trying to adjust to civilian life. No not The Best Years of Our Lives, but Till the End of Time. Yeah, another movie, same year, similar plot, but Till the End of Time is a shitty movie. I give it a 5/10. (This is my second viewing. I'm embarrassed to say that the first time I saw the movie, in 2013, I gave it a 9/10.  http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg165988#msg165988 But hey, it was 8 years ago. And I must have been drunk :( )

Here, the three returning servicemen (all Marines) are played by Guy Madison, Robert Mitchum and Bill Williams. Unlike The Best Years of Our Lives, which really is about three returning servicemen, Till the End of Time largely focuses on Madison and his pursuit of war widow Dorothy McGuire, while his parents are harassing him to get off his ass, get a job, and start integrating into society. (Madison is also pursued by 18-year-old neighbor [Jean Porter], but he never takes her seriously and we never believe for a moment he is interested in her. Williams's character, a former boxer, lost his legs in the war, and is too depressed to actually put on his prosthetics and get out of bed. Mitchum has a metal plate in his skull and is a degenerate gambler. Williams and Mitchum drift into Madison's life here and there, but it's really about Madison's (boring) storyline.

Oh, you want another comparison with The Best Years of Our Lives? There's a scene at the end of this movie where the three characters go to a bar and get into a fight with some racists who bash "foreign born labor racketeers" and invite them to join some "patriots" society whose memberships rules are: No Jews, No Catholics, No Negroes. Reminiscent of the scene with Ray Teal in The Best Years of Our Lives.

Lest you assume Till the End of Time ripped off the more famous movie, it actually was released four months before The Best Years of Our Lives, according to IMDB.

Anyway, I should stop with the comparisons. It's like Dom Perignon vs. apple cider.

« : June 16, 2021, 10:05:37 PM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #19814 : June 16, 2021, 10:05:18 PM »

RE: y'all's recent discussion of Point Blank:

Weird movie and I probably like it less than anyone else on this board.

Unsurprisingly.

n_l can feel happy, he's in disagreement with me, so the world is rotating properly on its axis. (Actually, he's unhappy, because Israel bombed Hamas again tonight. Yup, n_l's anti-Semitism apparently clouds the fact that his own ancestors were killed by Muslims, too  ;))

: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1325  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines