Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2021, 12:21:25 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1324 1325 [1326] 1327 1328 ... 1335
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 4157707 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19875 : August 04, 2021, 06:16:51 AM »

DJ says Stanton is an idiot. Stanton tries to deescalate but stands his ground.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19876 : August 04, 2021, 09:45:48 AM »

Here's some more fuel to the fire: Arthur Penn sucks.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #19877 : August 04, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »

Arthur Penn sucks.

Another remake?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19878 : August 05, 2021, 03:37:53 AM »

Arthur Penn is more of a reboot. John Carpenter, on the other hand, is the Netflix remake of Ed Wood.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19879 : August 05, 2021, 03:41:00 AM »

Starman 7.5/10
I had never seen it and Roy kept crying, so I saw it and I liked it. Nice dad jokes all over the place and probably the most moving Carpenter by far. It could have been better, the premise could have been better milked...  but in the end it really works, probably thanks to JC's ability to build an immersive atmosphere with very little work.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19880 : August 05, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »

Arthur Penn is more of a reboot. John Carpenter, on the other hand, is the Netflix remake of Ed Wood.
Things Alfonso Cuaron fans say.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19881 : August 05, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »

Ex Machina (2015)  7/10. Creepy mad scientist Oscar Isaac has invented artificial intelligence and housed it in the sexy body of Alicia Vikander (because if you could, you would, right?). Instead of banging her, though, Issac wants to find out if she's really a conscious being: does she both know how to think and know that she knows? Is she aware of herself? Issac brings in a young dude (Domhnall Gleeson--who?) to help. They decide that a simple Turing test isn't adequate: the machine is so good it could simulate consciousness without really being conscious. They need something better. Young Dude interviews the android; the android interviews Young Dude back. The android makes a joke [evidence of AI, even stronger than what we usually get from the cyborg titoli!]. Then during a power outage, when the pair cannot be seen or observed (on the mad scientist's home entertainment system), the foxy droid intimates that all is not as it seems . . . or is she just playing Our Young Dude? This nicely photographed film includes shots of rustic Norway, where the action is set. The sonics are interesting.

SPOILER
: What the film comes up with as a test of female consciousness is simplicity itself. It turns out if your female AI lies to you, stabs you in the back, then leaves in search of a Bigger, Better Deal, it is proof she thinks and acts just like a real woman. Q.E.D. END SPOILER
First re-watch on blu. I think I'll raise my rating to an "8."

This film works pretty well for what it is, a Kubrick-looking sci-fi on a budget. And Alex Garland, who began as a novelist, makes a good writer-director. Which is to say, the story is very well constructed. And the AI themes are examined intelligently.

My one reservation has to do with the story's fantasy-literature underpinnings. This is basically a refashioning of the hero-who-rescues-the-princess-from-the-dungeon-of-the-wicked-stepfather/stepmother/stepWizard tale (with an ironic twist ending). OK, but the great, late Stanislaw Lem would have decried such an approach. According to Lem, science subjects need to find new fiction patterns, not lean on the tropes of the past. I sympathize, but it's a difficult thing to do in a movie. Perhaps 2001 is the only film to get anywhere near Lem's ideal. Anyway, until the new forms emerge, Ex Machina does a pretty good job of keeping us entertained.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #19882 : August 05, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »

Things Alfonso Cuaron fans say.

:'( :'(

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #19883 : August 08, 2021, 09:26:37 PM »

I've watched it straight many times.

On another note, I recently had Netflix N Chill night with Miss Baltimore, so I showed her FAFDM - and she loved it! Then  I decided to mix things up with a melodrama; halfway through she says, "Let's watch another Western!" So I showed her GBU. As I expected, the first part moved a bit slow for someone not used to the Leone pace, but as it picked up, she really enjoyed it, now she is a Leone fan!!!!! Plus she has Double D?s. This babe might be a keeper >:D

Was in Baltimore again over the weekend. I tried getting her to watch Hannibal. She was freaked out and said, "let's watch another Western."

we were discussing the subject of the music people choose to walk down the aisle at their weddings. (no, nothing is close to imminent. Far from it. Just chatting about the general subject.) I mentioned the main theme from OUATITW. I played it for her, and she loved it. (It was the Andre Rieu version, for all you haters out there  :P ) Then I asked her what she'd want, figuring some nice symphonic song. Her response, "I want the 'wa-wa-wa' song, (mimicking the main theme of GBU), "and forget the dress. I'm gonna wear a poncho."  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19884 : August 09, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »

Address Unknown (1944) - A beautifully shot movie, and important for its time, but it's also something of a turkey. If you love sound movies influenced by silent pictures, this one is for you. But it's too heavy handed in a silent film type of manner, which doesn't work for talkies. In fact, the movie works better in 1.5x speed as a silent picture. Probably an unpopular opinion, but this is a lot like Welles' Macbeth, where it's the rare visually brilliant movie that I just don't care for. D+

The Guilt of Janet Ames (1947) - Outside of a couple creative surreal dream sequences involving a seedy bar and a little house in the desert, this is another turkey. It's basically an illogical failed B side to It's a Wonderful Life. D+

Assignment: Paris (1952) - Gobble gobble. Yet another turkey. The Paris locations can't even give this a passing grade. It starts off very slowly and doesn't improve enough to save the movie. D+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aot3MyQJUOY

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19885 : August 10, 2021, 01:12:13 AM »

Been binge watching Fargo the series wile in Hawaii good stuff 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #19886 : August 10, 2021, 02:06:48 AM »

Been binge watching Fargo the series wile in Hawaii good stuff 8/10

So you go to Hawaii and watch tv series.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19887 : August 10, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »

Intimidation (1960) - A short (65 min) lean and mean Nikkatsu crime/heist thriller involving bank employees and a blackmailer. I thought I went through all the Criterion eclipse Japanese genre stuff but I missed the Kurahara release. Good recommendation from the Pure Cinema Podcast guys and I'll watch more from the set. B

Razzia (1955) - I never thought I'd see a non Melville French crime movie comparable to the great Hands Off the Loot (1954) but this compares in some ways, and I'll definitely be picking up the Kino bluray. This handles the underground drug scene about as well as a movie from the mid 50's possibly could, This has a great jazzy score with some great locations ranging from high class to very seedy. Ahead of its time and another reason why the French new wave was much ado about nothing. A

The Public Eye (1992) - A tough movie to rate, because it starts off fantastically and maintains a great pace throughout, but the plot reveals itself to be rudimentary, and Pesci and Barbara Hershey don't have great chemistry making the love angle feel unnatural. With that said, there are some great locations and art design with some great shots sprinkled in. However, a movie influenced by a legendary photographer shouldn't have had so many bland medium close up type shots. It should have been shot in scope (or maybe Academy ratio to hopefully not sound like a hipster) and its look should have been influenced by Weegee and even a young Kubrick. The photography isn't bad, but it was a huge missed opportunity, especially when the sets + locations were mostly well done. Still, it's a movie worth revisiting and a flawed period neo noir type movie is better than 98% of movies. B-

« : August 10, 2021, 09:43:57 AM T.H. »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19888 : August 10, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »

Razzia (1955) - I never thought I'd see a non Melville French crime movie comparable to the great Hands Off the Loot (1954) but this compares in some ways, and I'll definitely be picking up the Kino bluray. This handles the underground drug scene about as well as a movie from the mid 50's possibly could, This has a great jazzy score with some great locations ranging from high class to very seedy. Ahead of its time and another reason why the French new wave was much ado about nothing. A
Agree. Since discovering the Kino edition, I've watched it a couple times. I love Gabin in this, I love Ventura, I love the story and the slow reveal of just what exactly is going on.

Btw, the Kino blu sports the best PQ of just about any b&w film transfer I can think of. It truly is a thing a beauty.

« : August 10, 2021, 08:44:30 PM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19889 : August 11, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »

The Warped Ones (1960) - Not for the faint of heart, and it makes delinquent movies like Rebel Without a Cause, Crazed Fruit and Breathless look like a tea party, While the main character is a total monster with zero redeeming qualities, there's a powerful energy to this movie and it had to greatly influence Fukasaku in how the camera masterfully moves around so wildly, and yet with so much skill. This is a very special movie that was way ahead of its time -- for those that can stomach it. The jazz soundtrack and locations are excellent as well.  A-

Retroactive (1997) - Cult alert. The sci-fi premise is implausible, to say the least, but man is this movie fun and the time travel-ish element doesn't get stale -- it builds momentum quite nicely. There are certainly instances where the characters (and the writers) make illogical decisions, but the pace flies. And Emmet Walsh is in this movie. While there are some really dated 90's visuals, it can also look very impressive at times (shot in scope). Jim Belushi's performance is bold and not for everyone, but it perfectly fits the bold and crazy tone of this movie. I love it, you guys probably will not. B-

Agree. Since discovering the Kino edition, I've watched it a couple times. I love Gabin in this, I love Ventura, I love the story and the slow reveal of just what exactly is going on.

Btw, the Kino blu sports the best PQ of just about any b&w film transfer I can think of. It truly is a thing a beauty.

Great to hear. I'm beyond sold on picking up the bluray. A good double bill featuring Razzia as the main attraction would be another Gabin crime movie built around drugs: The Night Affair (1958). While it's not nearly as good as Razzia, it's certainly worth seeing and I hope Kino releases it.

: 1 ... 1324 1325 [1326] 1327 1328 ... 1335  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines