Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:29:59 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 ... 1402
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5070451 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20895 : October 27, 2023, 04:48:07 AM »

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - 7/10. Shot in Vistavision, this has always looked bad on home video--until now. A new restoration (with input from Robert Harris) has produced a very good-looking blu-ray. The Marrakesh build-up and the Albert Hall climax have always been enjoyable, but now I 'm finding other parts of the film to like. The visit to the taxidermists always used to annoy me, but this time its comedy went down pretty well. The pay-off with Stewart's hand getting lodged in the tiger's mouth got a chuckle out of me. Yes, middling Hitchcock, but so much better than what his contemporaries were doing.

Yea it's entertaining enough for me and I saw it when I was still a kid 9-10-11 ish so probably a little nostalgia mixed in too, 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #20896 : October 30, 2023, 06:26:07 PM »

Blind Spot (1947) - 6/10. 35mm. Chester Morris doing a very credible Scott Brady impression (ha!). Morris is supposed to be a talented novelist whose books, although artistically successful, don't sell. Needing money, and needing courage to ask his publisher for an advance, he gets tanked up and goes to the publisher's office. There he meets Constance Dowling, secretary and bottle blonde. Dowling doesn't want to let Morris in to see the boss, but he charges past her. Inside the publisher is doing some serious putting with Steven Geray, a financially successful writer of mysteries. The publisher wants to send Morris packing, but Geray asks him to be patient when Morris claims to have a great idea for a locked-room mystery. Maybe on the strength of that idea Morris can get an advance? Yeah, maybe, but Morris is so drunk he may not be able to stay coherent. There is an ellipsis. Later, the publisher turns up dead . . . in his office, which was bolted shut from the inside. Morris turns up hungover . . . and claiming to have blacked out everything that happened the previous afternoon. Of course, the police think Morris did the murder. Morris doesn't know whether he did it or not. But if not him, who? And what was the clever solution to the locked-room mystery he concocted while drunk that he can't remember now? This is a great, great premise.

Unhappily, the way the film unspools from there leaves a lot to be desired.
I'd sure like to see this film again. My memory is as bad as Chester's!

UPDATE: Ah hah! https://ok.ru/video/362547907296  (Too bad it's such bad quality.)

« : October 30, 2023, 07:12:58 PM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
edddyinblu
Road Apple

« #20897 : October 31, 2023, 05:09:10 AM »

Acqua e Sapone 1983. Classic bittersweet italian Comedy directed by and starring Carlo Verdone. For those who don't know Carlo Verdone and Sergio Leone were friends, and Leone mentored the young comedian at the beginning of his career. Carlo Verdone became the most successful actor/director comedian in Italy for decades, along with Roberto Benigni. Verdone owes a huge debt to Sergio Leone, always speaks of him fondly, and gave absolute instant classic parts to Mario Brega after Sergio Leone introduced him to him when Brega's career was in a slump

I love Acqua e Sapone. If you speak Italian it is ridiculously funny and it has a signature punch-in-the-gut ending which Verdone often likes to end his otherwise light hearted comedies with. In that sense, very reminiscent of Mario Monicelli. The thing with comedies is that - and this includes the ones in English - if you don't speak the language and you don't know the culture you often miss out on a lot!

If you are interested in seeing how one of Sergio Leone's admirers took his talents to comedy and carved his own path defo check Acqua e Sapone and other Carlo Verdone movies out!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20898 : October 31, 2023, 11:23:41 AM »

Haha, none of it makes any sense. It would work better if it was set in some Dark City (1998) type of universe instead of actual 50's Brooklyn.

I finally figured it out. I read Hubert Selby Jr.'s book Last Exit To Brooklyn and rewatched the film.

Reading Hubert Selby's novel clears things up quite a bit. All the individual stories ring true as individual stories. That is the way the "novel" is put together. It's just a collection of Selby's partly truth and partly fiction short stories that take place around the Sunset Park neighborhood, Brooklyn.

It's when Desmond Nakano in the screenplay interweaves all these short stories that the film becomes bizzaro.

Uli Edel and Desmond Nakano by intertwining unrelated stories completely warps the past. It's bizzarro weird because it never would have happened like it's depicted. The various worlds written about by Selby never would have interacted as easily as is shown in the film in a working class neighborhood. Gays were closeted because it was, one, back then, against the law and two, being openly flamboyant could get you killed.

Manhattan is where being gay was more tolerated and accepted, the outer boroughs not so much, but even there in Manhattan it would be only in certain neighborhoods.

The way the film plays out putting most of the story in Sunset Park and the way the opening sequence is set up with Vinnie and the boys in cahoots with Tralala makes you wonder where the fuck is this hood gang when a local girl gets in trouble on their turf? 

I'll give it a 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20899 : November 01, 2023, 08:29:28 AM »

Fistful of Dollars - 5.5/10
For a few Dollars More - 7.5/10
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 10/10
Who's that knocking on my Door - 7/10
King of Comedy - 7/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20900 : November 02, 2023, 05:16:11 AM »

The Killer (2023) - 8/10. Except for some unique plot holes, the story has nothing new to offer: your standard hitman-crossed-by-his-employer nonsense. Visually and sonically, however, the film provides the Fincher experience in spades, a good thing. Can anyone shoot low-level lighting better than Fincher? Fassbender is great, his emotionless readings of his lines in voice-over are the comic highlight of the year. There's also a fun gag about the main character listening only to songs by The Smiths (we hear extracts from 8 or 10 of them) but the score provided by Trent Reznor et. al. is a very juicy bit of electronica. The opening credit sequence is the greatest in recent memory (it's short). And best of all: this wonderfully edited film clocks in at two-hours-eight. Thank you, DF, for returning us to sanity.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20901 : November 02, 2023, 06:37:56 AM »

The Killer (2023) - 8/10. Except for some unique plot holes, the story has nothing new to offer: your standard hitman-crossed-by-his-employer nonsense. Visually and sonically, however, the film provides the Fincher experience in spades, a good thing. Can anyone shoot low-level lighting better than Fincher? Fassbender is great, his emotionless readings of his lines in voice-over are the comic highlight of the year. There's also a fun gag about the main character listening only to songs by The Smiths (we hear extracts from 8 or 10 of them) but the score provided by Trent Reznor et. al. is a very juicy bit of electronica. The opening credit sequence is the greatest in recent memory (it's short). And best of all: this wonderfully edited film clocks in at two-hours-eight. Thank you, DF, for returning us to sanity.

To be fair sometimes you're trying to do a B movie and sometimes you're trying to do OUATIA. Those two options don't require the same screentime. Thanks for mentioning the credits sequence, I tried to find it online the other day as nobody was talking about it, no luck. The movie won't be released here before the netflix release (10th of november).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20902 : November 02, 2023, 10:47:24 AM »

Station Six - Sahara (1962) - 8/10. A British-German co-production with all of your favorites: Peter van Eyck, Mario Adorf, Denholm Elliott, the amazing Ian Bannen, plus some German guy I've never seen before. The German guy I've never seen before shows up at Station Six as the replacement for someone who's just died (he comes in on the same truck bearing the purpose-built coffin). He's the viewer's surrogate, of course, but he's also the wandering stranger with a secret (which we never learn). The men have all been in the desert too long together, and they're--what's the expression?--really starting to get on each other's tits. And speaking of tits, just when the tinder is about to reach its flash-point, who should suddenly arrive but Caroll Baker? Five men (actually six, Caroll has brought along her wounded husband), hundreds of miles from civilization, and only one blonde to go around. Huh, what might happen? Before Ms. Baker shows up there are a couple really clever dick-measuring scenes, a great bit where Ian Bannen buys an unopened letter off of Denholm Elliott, and maybe the best poker playing sequence ever committed to film (never, NEVER play Deuces Wild with a German). It's all over too quickly, the ending is too abrupt, but this has fantastic plotting and some very witty chat. It's a real man's movie, so pansies from France and New England should give it a pass. For everyone else: https://ok.ru/video/3789297945294

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20903 : November 02, 2023, 11:11:02 AM »

Station Six - Sahara (1962) - 8/10. A British-German co-production with all of your favorites: Peter van Eyck, Mario Adorf, Denholm Elliott, the amazing Ian Bannen, plus some German guy I've never seen before. The German guy I've never seen before shows up at Station Six as the replacement for someone who's just died (he comes in on the same truck bearing the purpose-built coffin). He's the viewer's surrogate, of course, but he's also the wandering stranger with a secret (which we never learn). The men have all been in the desert too long together, and they're--what's the expression?--really starting to get on each other's tits. And speaking of tits, just when the tinder is about to reach its flash-point, who should suddenly arrive but Caroll Baker? Five men (actually six, Caroll has brought along her wounded husband), hundreds of miles from civilization, and only one blonde to go around. Huh, what might happen? Before Ms. Baker shows up there are a couple really clever dick-measuring scenes, a great bit where Ian Bannen buys an unopened letter off of Denholm Elliott, and maybe the best poker playing sequence ever committed to film (never, NEVER play Deuces Wild with a German). It's all over too quickly, the ending is too abrupt, but this has fantastic plotting and some very witty chat. It's a real man's movie, so pansies from France and New England should give it a pass. For everyone else: https://ok.ru/video/3789297945294

Yea have to watch this one again I barely remember it.

« : November 02, 2023, 12:44:10 PM cigar joe »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20904 : November 02, 2023, 01:01:10 PM »

Station Six - Sahara (1962) - 8/10. A British-German co-production with all of your favorites: Peter van Eyck, Mario Adorf, Denholm Elliott, the amazing Ian Bannen, plus some German guy I've never seen before.

You want to know the name of that German guy?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #20905 : November 02, 2023, 02:39:52 PM »

You want to know the name of that German guy?

Hansj?rg Felmy i think he means.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20906 : November 03, 2023, 12:36:20 AM »

Yes, its Felmy, and the credits don't make a secret out of this. So maybe he wants to know what else he did.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20907 : November 03, 2023, 03:28:25 AM »

Yes, its Felmy, and the credits don't make a secret out of this. So maybe he wants to know what else he did.
Not particularly.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20908 : November 03, 2023, 10:04:15 AM »

A Faithful Man (2018) - 4/10. A man gets more pussy than he can handle.
This isn't as bad as I thought. In fact, I'm now thinking . . .  it's a "6." It's definitely overwritten and at the same time underdeveloped, but somewhat amusing nonetheless. It would have made a good short story.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20909 : November 04, 2023, 12:40:42 PM »

The Fourth Victim (1971) - 4/10. "A wealthy Englishman finds his third wife dead. After the police discover that his first two wives had also died suddenly, an investigation is launched. Meanwhile, a new neighbor moves in and becomes very interested in him." The new neighbor is Caroll Baker! In no time at all, she's the fourth wife, and you have to wonder what her angle is. But just as the mystery surrounding her starts heating up, enter yet another mysterious blonde. It's Marina Malfatti! So, this is a Giallo, I guess? Well, it's an Italian production, anyway. Not worth your time, but hard to stop watching once you start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI78uC_JbBs

: 1 ... 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 ... 1402  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines