Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 15, 2024, 07:38:16 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403
: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  ( 5170981 )
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21015 : May 10, 2024, 02:52:28 PM »

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 7/10

Nice if you like a slow, melancholy drama, I wish I didn't watch it on 5 hours of sleep after binging RDR2 until dawn. Some good acting, and Jesse shown to be a murderous bastard for once. Casey Affleck easily steals the show tho.

The title event kinda felt like Jesse deliberately let it happen, he can even see Bob aiming at him in the glass of the picture frame and does nothing. Everyone in this movie needs a damn therapist.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #21016 : May 13, 2024, 01:26:27 PM »

Still Walking (2008)- 9/10. The first time I watched this I was not impressed, but this time it hit me better. Then I learned that the grandma character is based on Kore-eda's own mother! Wow, he doesn't do anything to spare her looking spiteful or petty, and that, almost all the time. And she's the most interesting character. So, there are no characters to identify with; I guess that makes this pretty close to real life. Plus you get to learn how to make corn tempura, and how to sing along to 1969's "Blue Light Yokohama." Now I'm thinking this is the director's best film.

Play it Again, Sam (1972)- 7/10. Slight but funny. I'd forgotten how much of WA's early schtick was physical comedy. He can really do it, too. Or could. 

The Beautiful Person (2008)- 8/10. The Princess of Cleves, updated for a trivial age. Works pretty well though, and Louis Garrel and Lea Seydoux are fun to look at.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #21017 : May 15, 2024, 02:01:38 AM »

Haneke retrospective on arte! Which means with a VPN everybody can, and should, watch all of them for free.

The Seventh Continent - 7/10
Benny's Video - 8.5/10
Funny Games - 7/10
The Piano Teacher - 9/10
Time of the Wolf - 5/10
Hidden - 7.5/10
Funny Games US - 7/10
The White Ribbon - 8/10
Amour - 8.5/10
Happy End - 7/10

I need to rewatch 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance (the first I ever saw, 20 years ago) and give a try to Code Unknown, but i feel i won't like this one.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21018 : May 15, 2024, 04:28:23 AM »

Haneke retrospective on arte! Which means with a VPN everybody can, and should, watch all of them for free.
Have you got a link for this?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #21019 : May 15, 2024, 04:44:04 AM »

Haneke from Arte:

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/RC-024956/filme-von-michael-haneke/

It's possible to download them, but I assume they are all in German or French, not English friendly.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #21020 : May 15, 2024, 05:26:37 AM »

Also directly available on YouTube (I'm guessing: if you have a vpn): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2txLsdABQ4g&list=PLPix-srLpfer33UsanwgeNDdOEbZb1gve

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21021 : May 16, 2024, 07:44:19 AM »

Also directly available on YouTube (I'm guessing: if you have a vpn): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2txLsdABQ4g&list=PLPix-srLpfer33UsanwgeNDdOEbZb1gve
Yeah, I do. Thanks.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #21022 : May 17, 2024, 05:40:47 AM »

Be quick, or at least download them (there are tons of "youtube to mp4" websites) because some of them are disappearing. The white ribbon isn't available anymore.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #21023 : May 21, 2024, 05:58:19 AM »

Evil Does Not Exist (2023) - 10/10. Latest Hamaguchi. The title, I think, is a response to the famous Renoir dictum, "Everybody has their reasons." Hamaguchi's rejoinder, if it is one, would seem to say, "Yes, everybody. But include Nature in that." So, humans do what humans do, and elements of the natural world act according to their principles, and sometimes the intersection of those activities is disturbing. Meanwhile, Hamaguch is producing cinema through extra-cinematic means. I have to keep reminding myself as I watch that those are actors on the screen, that this film is not a documentary. Hamaguchi is leaving all other directors behind.

Dancing Girl (1957) - 7/10. A woman comes from the country to try to be a success in Tokyo (more specifically, Asakusa). Will she be corrupted by the big city? In fact, just the opposite! Machiko Kyo plays the innocent-looking schemer. Saw this at the Shimizu retrospective now on at Japan Society, NYC. The big city has its compensations.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #21024 : May 27, 2024, 06:13:24 AM »

Mrs. Cusser picked out "Anyone But You" on Netflix for us to watch last night.  We quit at about the half-hour mark, this had to be the most-contrived, most-cliche "romantic 'comedy' " ever.  Apparently this Sidney Sweeney is considered a hot actress these days, but came across as a short cute blonde with big boobs only semi-adept at the farce comedy stuff, the kind of stuff Goldie Hahn, Kristin Wiig, or Meg Ryan could've pulled off when younger. 

Guess who was a producer?  Sidney Sweeney. 

So I'd rate 2/10.  The film grossed over $200 million worldwide, amazing......shows the "sophistication" of some folks these days....

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #21025 : May 28, 2024, 08:19:38 PM »

Just binged the first season of X-Men 97 in one night. It felt like coming home, and it's so damn good. 10/10. Can't wait for the next season.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #21026 : June 05, 2024, 11:03:56 AM »

Memory (Michel Franco, 2024) - 9/10
Franco shows once more he's the best "framer" in the business right now. He just composes the best shots. He's helped here with a DoP that gives him a gorgeous high-contrast-yet-very-soft light. But this isn't the point. This has nothing to do with cinematography. It's purely a mise en scene issue. And on this particular point, Franco is the best. He's also in the top 10 when it comes to structuring screenplays, as well as directing actors. The guy is good.

« : June 07, 2024, 07:30:06 AM noodles_leone »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #21027 : June 10, 2024, 02:45:55 PM »

Slap Shot (1977) - While it doesn't need to be two hours, and the climax isn't exactly the payoff you'd want, it's something of a classic that was filmed much better than I remembered. While it also could have used some more character orientated stuff with Newman's character, Slap Shot's authentic small town atmosphere and it's free wheeling nature in general make this special. If anything, it's better now than the year that it was was released due to how unapologetic and liberated it is.  B

Messiah of Evil (1975) - One of those movies that I really want to like a lot more because the atmosphere is wonderful, and the exterior night time stuff is mostly beautifully filmed, but there's not much of a plot, and the characters are paper thin. Maybe this can be seen as surreal by some, but for me the pacing really threw the entire thing off. But it gets a passing grade because it can look stunning in many instances.  C-

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #21028 : June 11, 2024, 07:51:07 AM »

Slap Shot (1977) - While it doesn't need to be two hours, and the climax isn't exactly the payoff you'd want, it's something of a classic that was filmed much better than I remembered. While it also could have used some more character orientated stuff with Newman's character, Slap Shot's authentic small town atmosphere and it's free wheeling nature in general make this special. If anything, it's better now than the year that it was was released due to how unapologetic and liberated it is.  B

''They brought their *ucking toys with 'em!!!''

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #21029 : June 12, 2024, 12:57:45 PM »

Gunsmoke, "My Father, My Son", Episode aired Apr 23, 1966

Jack Elam as the fast, wanting to retire gunslinger, gets challenged by a boy trying to prove himself, kills the boy.  The boy's father is Lee Van Cleef, guessing this was filmed after "For a Few Dollars More" but before GBU.  Van Cleef recruits his 3 remaining sons, and sets out to kill Elam.  Compounding the story is that Elam's "unknown" son is also after Elam.

This was the last of Van Cleef's 4 appearances on Gunsmoke, as he had become a huge star.

Elam and Van Cleef appeared in same show or film a few times, beginning with High Noon, and including Kansas City Confidential.

: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines