Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 05, 2024, 05:00:10 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Last Book You Read
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 87
: Last Book You Read  ( 472823 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #1020 : January 02, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »

The quality of books can only be measured by their "filmability". It is the aim of books to be in a serving function for films. Otherwise they are more or less worthless.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1021 : January 02, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »

It is the aim of books to be in a serving function for films.

You've read this or was it in a movie's dialogue?

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #1022 : January 02, 2014, 04:33:49 PM »

No, I invented it, but not this evening. But I doubt that I have the only copyright.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1023 : January 04, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »

Totally different from the light comedy by the same name, it is a reflection on life  through the passion for football. Maybe is the best book on football fanaticism written so far and milions of supporters like me can relive the same experiences of their early teen years, when first sufffering the illness of football passion. Still I would like to ask the author why he left apart a side of the supporting experience which is as essential as the rooting for, i.e. the rooting against. I think it is impossible for football fans to watch any football match without rooting for one of the sides. All the more so when the result of a match it is decisive for that of your own side. Anyway a good reading experience for the fans of the game. 8\10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1024 : January 04, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »

FIVE O'CLOCK LIGHTNING: RUTH, GEHRIG, DIMAGGIO, MANTLE, AND THE GLORY YEARS OF THE NY YANKEES, by Tommy Henrich and Bill Gilbert...... This is a GREAT autobiography of Tommy Henrich, the terrific Yankee right fielder/first baseman from 1937-1950 (though, like many players of his era, he missed 3 seasons due to military service in WW2.) Henrich, was teammates with the great DiMaggio longer than anyone else. In recounting each of Henrich's years with the Yankees, Henrich/Gilbert you a nice flavor of the times, discussing the latest electronic gadgets, cars, movies, etc. Henrich was a great believer in team spirit and Yankee pride, and he is not shy about sharing his opinion about various issues in the game then and now (ie. When the book was written, around 1991), such as to call out the modern-day ballplayers, whom he believes lack some of the characteristics of the players of Henrich's era. This book is a must-read for any fan of Yankee history, and a fun read for any baseball fan.... Along with Charlie Keller in left and the great DiMaggio in center, Henrich was a member of one of the finest offensive outfields of all-time. Henrich was most famous for a strikeout that led to his team's VICTORY in Game 4 of the 1941 World Series; when, with the Yanks trailing with two outs in the 9th inning, Henrich swung and missed for the third strike from Brooklyn reliever Hugh Casey (which Henrich just says was a curveball, though it has long been rumored to have been a spitter) for what would have been the final out.... but the ball got past catcher Mickey Owen for a passed ball, Henrich made it safely to first; a succession of Yankee hits later, and the Bombers won the game and then wrapped up the Series the next day. I once heard him do a radio interview, just after the great DiMaggio died in 1999; there is one thing I remember from that interview - Henrich's reply when asked about those who say Ted Williams was a better ballplayer than Dimaggio: "Humbugs!"

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #1025 : January 05, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft and the Golden Age of Journalism - Doris Kearns Goodwin - Another sprawling slice of Presidential history from Goodwin, after her excellent Team of Rivals. As the title indicates it focuses mainly on Roosevelt and Taft's friendship, and its relationship to/effect on progressive politics at the turn of the last century. The book excels when dealing with this aspect, providing well-rounded portraits of both men. A lot's been written about Roosevelt but the sympathetic treatment of Taft, a good though plodding man, is very welcome. The title's third tier, exploring the role of muckraking journalists in social change, is comparatively anemic. Though Roosevelt knew and occasionally consulted the likes of Jacob Riis and Lincoln Steffens, Goodwin largely keeps them off to the side in her story, awkwardly fitting into the narrative. Calling it the Golden Age of Journalism, when the sensationalist "yellow press" proved as impactful as McClure's, seems a reach too.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #1026 : January 07, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »

Mrs. Duberly's Campaigns - E.E.P. Tisdall - Serviceable biography of Fanny Duberly. Should this remarkable woman's adventures interest you, her diaries are readily available online. Little reason to pick this one up.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1027 : January 09, 2014, 08:37:48 AM »

A good collection of popular fiction tropes with a light touch of humor and originality, it is the kind of book I'd give 7\10. But as the author is good-looking it earns 8\10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1028 : January 09, 2014, 08:47:32 AM »

Glanville is not the best british football journalist but he is important for his documentaries (notably Goal! on 1966 WC) and his probes into italian major teams attempts at bribery toward the referees in the european cups in the '60's and 70's. But the book is filled with pages and pages dedicated to irrelevant matters and not very-well edited. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1029 : January 21, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »

Excellent biography of a very interesting figure.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1030 : February 01, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »

An excellent report on campus life in the Deep South in the '50's (but I presume it is still valid nowadays). What prevents me to give it full rating is the fact that some of the pages and of the characters sound more like the idea we have been induced to form of them through media than as real characters (Elisabeth to me is a variation of Sylvia Plath's in The Bell Jar).  9\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #1031 : February 01, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »

Louis Edward Nolan and His Influence on British Cavalry - Louis Moyse-Bartlett - Adequate biography of the cavalryman who delivered the message triggering the Charge of the Light Brigade. Arguably Moyse-Bartlett does a better job sketching the British Army circa 19th Century than his protagonist, though he does show Nolan a visionary thinker.

The Civil War on the Western Border, 1854-1865 - Jay Monahan - Sprawling history focusing on the brush fire wars in Missouri and Kansas, from the Kansas-Nebraska Act through Sterling Price's last invasion of Missouri. Monahan crafts a compelling narrative with a broad scope and colorful characters (Sterling Price, Jim Lane, Joseph Shelby, Stand Waite), handling the military action and sociopolitical developments equally well. Some annoying errors - he insists on calling William Quantrill "Charles" - that don't mar the overall work.

The Chanak Affair - David Walder - Focuses on how British policymakers forced Greece into an ill-advised invasion of post-WWI Ottoman Empire, triggering Mustafa Kemal's rebellion and the emergence of modern Turkey. Not bad, but nothing David Fromkin or Margaret Macmillan don't cover better.

Slimed! An Oral History of Nickelodeon's Golden Age - Mathew Klickstein - Entertaining so far as it goes, featuring interviews of various Nickelodeon stars, writers and animators. One obvious limitation is that the book focuses only on early '90s Nickelodeon, meaning plenty on Ren and Stimpy and Salute Your Shorts, nothing on, say, Rocko's Modern Life or The Angry Beavers. For nostalgic '90s kids like me, worth reading.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1032 : February 01, 2014, 10:59:24 PM »

The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923, by Robert Weintraub

Really good book, very well-researched  O0 O0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1033 : February 04, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »

The follow-up to The Foreign Student and just as good, or even better.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1034 : February 07, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »

This interview made in 1999 by the great british historian about the new century's perspectives it tastes already stale. The internet has developed much faster than he thought, even in the lesser developed countries and his reading of the future developments in world politics and economics will have to wait some other decade to prove wrong or right. Other books by the author are much more rewarding: Bandits and Primitive Rebels, for example. He also wrote about jazz but in amateurish fashion.

: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 87  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines