Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 15, 2022, 11:10:55 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Last Book You Read
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 87
: Last Book You Read  ( 450827 )
Whalestoe

« #315 : July 22, 2009, 11:32:58 AM »

I have read Three Musketeers as well along with a portion of Montecristo in grade school. Couldn't agree with you more, Dumas never bores even when a piece is as long and near plotless as Musketeers. Had the great honor of performing as Athos in the Ken Ludvig adaptation of the work (not an apaptation i care for but i fantastic opportunity nonetheless)

I'm gonna have to read The Vicomte of Bragelonne eventually but it's such a long book ive been putting it off for ages

I'm reading Blood Meridian after hearing CJ and Whalestoe talk about it. So far it's really fantastic stuff, Probably one of the only books i really love out of the last 50 years.

Speaking of Blood Meridian, I'm re-reading it again!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #316 : July 22, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »

By "all those sequels" you mean Twenty Years Later and The Viscount of Bragelonne?

Yeah, I guess so. I believe in Czech it was something like Twenty Years Later and Yet Another Ten Years Later, which definitely makes it sound silly... and you easily lose track of how many of them there actually are.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #317 : August 15, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

Naked Lunch.

:o

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #318 : August 16, 2009, 03:50:23 AM »

Return of the King. I finally own the whole Lord of the Rings in Czech now. Although I still love most reading my Two Towers in English... it's such a lovely over-40-years-old book in red canvas.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #319 : August 16, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »

I started re-reading Stanley Karnow's excellent Vietnam: A History today. A few other Goosebumps books in the recent past, too. I'm giving up on Lord Jim, this is my second crack at it and I think it's just not for me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #320 : August 17, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »

Bought the complete plays of Anton Chekhov and gonna start it up with The Seagull seeing as one my favorite local theatre company will be producing it soon. I'll probably start reading Barry Lyndon shortly afterwards.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #321 : August 18, 2009, 05:00:22 AM »

Bought the complete plays of Anton Chekhov and gonna start it up with The Seagull seeing as one my favorite local theatre company will be producing it soon. I'll probably start reading Barry Lyndon shortly afterwards.

Do you enjoy Chekhov? I had to read a bunch of his plays for an English class last semester and found him insufferable.

I started reading Barry Lyndon at some point last year but didn't get too far into it. Not because it was bad necessarily, I just didn't have enough time to commit to it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #322 : August 18, 2009, 05:14:41 AM »

Do you enjoy Chekhov? I had to read a bunch of his plays for an English class last semester and found him insufferable.
Maybe you have to see them performed. Also, maybe he's one of those artists--like Henry James--who can only be appreciated after you turn 40.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #323 : August 18, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »

I've never fully read any of Chekhov's stuff but i bought it for several reasons

1. (again) Favorite local theatre performing it, If they can make Andrew Llyodd Webber barely tolerable then they can make anything look good.
2. Had a nice coupon for 40% off making the 24ish dollar book roughly 15 dollars (giving me enough money to buy the film version of "inheriit the wind"
3. As Groggy illustrated, This is something im going to have to read anyways so might as well be now.
4. I'm no good with librairys (can never turn things in on time) so i buy my books instead nowadays.
5. Russian Literature is my favorite brand of world literature, so i figured that it was something in my safety zone.

I've read the first act of the seagull and so far so good but i accidently caught whiff of the last line so now i know much more then i wanted to know  :-X

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #324 : August 18, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

Maybe you have to see them performed. Also, maybe he's one of those artists--like Henry James--who can only be appreciated after you turn 40.

Maybe. It could also be that sandwiched in between Ibsen, Strindberg, Nietzsche and Shaw the last thing I needed was more pessimism about the sorry state of humanity.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #325 : August 20, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »

I saw a series of his short stories/plays performed, and that was quite fun. Especially The Bear. (Which, funnily, shares its name with one of my favourite films, although they have nothing in common outside the title.)

Whalestoe

« #326 : August 20, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »

Ask the Dust by John Fante. Great read.

Now onto Waiting for the Barbarians.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #327 : August 21, 2009, 05:35:24 AM »

Re-reading Les rios maudits (The Accursed Kings) for third? fourth? time. One of the best historical novels ever. Lot of nasty characters and almost everyone bites the dust sooner or later. Inquisition, intrigues and lots of poisonings. And also adultery.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #328 : August 28, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

There are very few opportunities to watch movies in the army so I've been reading a lot recently (according to my personal standards, that is).

Muovikorvo by Tommi Liimatta. Liimatta is one of my favorite songwriters, so I decided to check out his book which turned out to be really good. Not much happens but Liimatta's language is very interesting and his observations of life are peculiar yet completely true. Marmota, I recommend you read this at some point (have you read any novels in Finnish yet, BTW?)

My Autobiography by Charlie Chaplin. I really enjoyed up to the point when he got really famous. The stories about his childhood and career in theater are interesting but after that the book becomes more or less a list of the celebrities he was friends with. Not much is told about the making of his movies.

Right now I'm reading Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea, still about 40 pages to go. I quite like it, also because it's so short. I tend to like this kind of simplified conflicts between man and nature, but occasionally the bits about the boy are too sentimental.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #329 : August 29, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »

Well one of my classes has Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival as a textbook. I may read it on my own volition since I've never given Chomsky a fair shake, though I expect to disagree vehemently with his political views (one of the passages I skimmed through compared the US to Nazi Germany in fairly hyperbolic terms).

I didn't know you were in the Army moviesceleton. :o Presumably you're doing national service?

: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 87  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines