Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2022, 08:27:02 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Last Book You Read
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 87
: Last Book You Read  ( 453602 )
Whalestoe

« #330 : August 29, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »

Well one of my classes has Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival as a textbook. I may read it on my own volition since I've never given Chomsky a fair shake, though I expect to disagree vehemently with his political views (one of the passages I skimmed through compared the US to Nazi Germany in fairly hyperbolic terms).

I didn't know you were in the Army moviesceleton. :o Presumably you're doing national service?

From what I know of your political views, I don't see how you would ever agree with Chomsky or even remotely give him a "fair shake".

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #331 : August 29, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »

Agree, almost certainly not. That doesn't preclude me from reading it though. If I can read Howard Zinn and enjoy him, I can probably put up with Chomsky.

Saturday nights with Groggy
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #332 : August 29, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »

Marmota, I recommend you read this at some point (have you read any novels in Finnish yet, BTW?)

Thanks for the tip. I think I like books with interesting use of language, so hopefully I'll be able to read it one day.
I haven't read any whole novels yet. Just parts of books. (I loved the chapter from Daniel Katz's Kun isoisä Sumomeen hiihti we read in school, BTW. I loved its humor.) I downloaded Quo Vadis in Finnish from Project Guttenberg in hopes of reading it in summer, but didn't get to it yet. I chose that one because I know it well in Czech and thought it would be easier as a start for reading long works. What I read of it, here and there, was like that - easier to understand, because I knew it already.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #333 : August 29, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »

Well one of my classes has Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival as a textbook. I may read it on my own volition since I've never given Chomsky a fair shake, though I expect to disagree vehemently with his political views (one of the passages I skimmed through compared the US to Nazi Germany in fairly hyperbolic terms).

I didn't know you were in the Army moviesceleton. :o Presumably you're doing national service?
That's correct. And it sucks hairy monkey balls, if you ask me. Still 132 days to go...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #334 : August 29, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »

Still 132 days to go...

Think positive. Try counting backwards or something.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #335 : August 30, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »

That's correct. And it sucks hairy monkey balls, if you ask me. Still 132 days to go...

Which reminds me I'm happy that there's no national service here anymore, even when I'm a girl.
It has its positive points, though. My father served in the town my mom was from, and so did her father before.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #336 : August 30, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »

Which reminds me I'm happy that there's no national service here anymore, even when I'm a girl.
It has its positive points, though. My father served in the town my mom was from, and so did her father before.
You mean, that's how they met?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #337 : August 30, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »

You mean, that's how they met?

My grandparents did. My parents actually met before that, but it was convenient for them.

I started reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I'm wondering what will it turn out to be.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #338 : September 02, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »

Just read Ibsen's Enemy of the People. Dr. Whatshisdick is so fucking annoying, pigheaded and self-righteous I couldn't possibly be on his side. One of the most obnoxious literary characters I've ever come across.

I'm gonna try and read Larry McMurtry's novel about Pretty Boy Floyd in the near-future if I can find the time.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

« #339 : September 03, 2009, 01:13:59 AM »

I finished American Gods; it's one of those things that I read in every free moment until I finish it... As such, it doesn't give me much time to think about it. So let's just say, it didn't let me down. Neil Gaiman's certainly becoming one of my favourite writers. I think it's because I like his endings.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #340 : September 03, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »

Christopher Paolini: Brisingr 7/10

Not bad. He definitely gets better as he ages. And it stopped being a Star Wars ripoff. Eragon stopped being a vegetarian. Galby has his "horcruxes" now. Oromis didn't get all Yoda. He got BADASS!  O0
I really wait for the end, although the only real question is "What Happens To Murtagh?"

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #341 : September 04, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »

Last Exit To Brooklyn

by
Hubert Selby Jr.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #342 : September 07, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »

Starting to read Larry McMurtry's Pretty Boy Floyd novel. Having trouble finding time to really get into it.

Also read the first few chapters of Blood Meridian at a Barnes and Noble, along with one of the latest Goosebumps books.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #343 : September 11, 2009, 04:19:54 PM »

I finished the Pretty Boy Floyd book a few nights ago. Liked it, didn't love it, but it was very easy to read at least.

I started reading The Amityville Horror today. I'm trying to take it as a work of fiction rather than a "true story" and judge it from that perspective, since it's almost certainly bunk.

Whalestoe

« #344 : September 17, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »

Reading Moby Dick, or The Whale and couldn't be happier about it. I'm now about 120 pages, give or take, in and loving it.

: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 87  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines