Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2021, 08:06:54 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Best Film of 2003?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Best Film of 2003?  ( 18696 )
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« : January 05, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »

Which do you think is the best movie of 2003?

Personally I liked Kill Bill, Finding Nemo and Frida a lot, and I am sure I forgot some...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #1 : January 05, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »

Personally I would say Kill Bill and brazilian movie City of God.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : January 05, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »

"Return of the King" was great for fantasy, a beautiful and through realization of "Lord of the Rings", "Mystic River" was a very powerful film and well made, the 007 spoof with Rowland Atkinson was hilarious can't remember its name. "Open Range" the only western was ok, nothing special.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3 : January 05, 2004, 07:51:33 PM »

Which do you think is the best movie of 2003?

Personally I liked Kill Bill, Finding Nemo and Frida a lot, and I am sure I forgot some...

"Gods and Generals" or "Finding Nemo".

Saturday nights with Groggy
Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #4 : January 06, 2004, 03:26:48 AM »

"Return of the King" was great for fantasy, a beautiful and through realization of "Lord of the Rings", "Mystic River" was a very powerful film and well made, the 007 spoof with Rowland Atkinson was hilarious can't remember its name. "Open Range" the only western was ok, nothing special.

Haven't seen ROTK yet!! Aargh! Indeed, Mystic River was a very good film (how could I forget that?)  Open Range is not out here yet.  When did it come out in the US?

The 007 spoof you're referring to is Johnny English.

COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

« #5 : January 06, 2004, 07:23:11 AM »

Good Bye Lenin

Time is on my side...
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #6 : January 06, 2004, 07:40:11 AM »

My memory right now tells me "Mystic River" and Von Triers "Dogville" but I'm sure there are others that I just can't think of right now. And, dammit, I haven't seen ROTK yet either!! Or City of God.  And so many films from 2003 haven't opened here yet...

How about the worst? I nominate Matrix Reloaded - so bad that I simply don't give a flying **** about watching Revolutions...

Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #7 : January 06, 2004, 10:43:04 AM »

Yeah, Revolutions was not so great, although it was far more enjoyable than reloaded, which was a whole bunch of boredom...
If I would have to vote for worst film, I would take the League of Extraordinairy Gentleman.  Not so extraordinairy...

Oh and yeah, Ridley Scott's Matchstick Men was also a lot of fun.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #8 : January 06, 2004, 01:30:20 PM »

Matrix Revolutions was not as good as the two first movies.

But I thing that the Matrix trilogy is far beyond the Lord of The Rings Trilogy. By far.

I hated the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. And the book is one of my 5 favourites. I think Peter Jackson is the modern Ed Wood.

When you give 500$ million to Ed Wood, that's the result.

Of course, it is only MY opinion!!!

Blueberry
Gunslinger

« #9 : January 07, 2004, 04:00:18 AM »

Razor sharp as ever, Shorty...

I think LOTR is the stuff that dreams are made of - and one should never compare books and films, no good will come of it.

Ed Wood: If anything looks like something out of a modern update of "Plan 9 from Outer Space" it's the octopussy things from Matrix...

There should never have been more than one Matrix film (This is almost garanteed to become a new manner of speaking, a saying, when something is just going too far without any content).

The W-brothers ended up with the result of people going: "mmm yawn, so he's still wearing sunglasses.. and Smith again and again and again.. " It was a great idea to begin with but they just couldn't  do it. Damn!! I so wanted it to work.. I wanted it to be much more 12 Monkeys-like, more Blade Runner-like, but in the end what we got was a story that couldn't bear more than one film. And the visuals couldn't either..

In my humble opinion, that is...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : January 07, 2004, 05:18:24 AM »

"Master & Commander" looks like it was really well made but you can only see so many movies around the holidays.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #11 : January 07, 2004, 12:27:13 PM »

I also forgot "The Recruit".  A wee bit confusing but a lot of fun.

Saturday nights with Groggy
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #12 : January 07, 2004, 01:42:31 PM »

Dear Blueberry.

"I think LOTR is the stuff that dreams are made of". I can't agree more with you, if we talk about the book.

The movie is a nightmare, more like "tele toobies" than anything else.

For me, the best movie in the history of sience fiction, and the best movie of the history of cinema, is Blade Runner. Of course Matrix can't be compared to Blade Runner.

But the visual effects from Matrix and Matrix Reloaded are a revolution in cinema, and the message of the movie is extremely important: now that capitalism seems to rule, let's not forget that capitalism and consuming is, a Matrix. The real world, the real life is elsewhere, far away from the Occidental capitalist world.

That is, for me, the importance of Matrix, in visuals and in the ideas. I mean that the W brothers have something in their brains from the point of view of the visual of a movie. It's not the same with Peter Jackson, who only did some very forgettable movies in his life like Braindead, Heavenly Creatures or The Frighteners, and whose next project is..... King Kong.

Again, sorry for my passion. It is only my opinion!!!

Blueberry
Gunslinger

« #13 : January 08, 2004, 03:41:18 AM »

Dear Shorty
I get the idea about the evil and blindness of consumption but when I buy the new OUATIA or OUATIW DVD it's bliss -
NO!! NO!! WRONG!! It's the Matrix!! Oh no, I have been seduced by the wickedness of materialism - I must deliver them back immediatly and go do some meditation in a wood to find my inner meaning, even though right now it's freezing outside. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to see some flickering vertical green digits on a black background.

The idea of Matrix is fine with me but it just doesn't deliver...  Speciel Effects are the true meaning of these films no matter what. I suggest that if one wants to get philosophical or existential, that one looks to other movies, not these ones, please..

And so, since the Matrix movies are so focused on delivering entertainment to the people, they are themselves an important part of the matrix - a paradox, a dilemma: the movies that are supposed to deliver emancipation are just another part of the whole machinery, just another matrix code to keep us passive.. ..one could say, if one wanted a bit of dramatic rhetoric. Opium for the People!! Give it to us!!
At least LOTR doesn't pretend to be anything but a great adventure.. but Shorty, you know: just as long as we can agree on our disagreement, everybody can't have the same taste.
And I think Braindead is funny.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14 : January 08, 2004, 05:20:54 AM »

Shorty I love the LOTR books too, but what do you think is wrong with the movies, compared to the cartoon what we had before these are light years ahead.

BTY you have to see the DVD's much more movie on extended versions about (45 minutes each), obviously you can't put all of the intricacies of the books on film but it was an admirable  attempt that will bring legions of readers to the source material.

My only barest register of dissapointment may be the music, Morricone could have come up with better.

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines