Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2021, 05:34:43 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The arch (2008 version)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The arch (2008 version)  ( 7606 )
Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

« : September 11, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »

Hi all. Presently on vacation. I am in Flagsaff, taking the road for Sedona tomorrow. We went to the Grand Canyon (2 days) and Monument Valley at Goulding's lodge. The view from our balcony was breath taking! I went to the arch and gladly saw that it was the same (almost) as it was in 2005 when I went for the fist time. The wooden beam is still there. I don't think many folks (besides Leone fans) go there quite often, fortunately. Took around 15 pics but the first time I went, I took something like 50 pics from all angles. Inside Monument Valley, I saw a few shot locations, but it is forbidden to get off the road to take a closer look. I tried, but one of the fellow Navajo resident horse riding yelled at me from a distance. I couldn't understand a damn thing but it was easy to understand that he tried to tell me to get the f..ck out of there. Anyway, so far it is an extremely nice trip and felt sad and melancolic on site! 

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #1 : September 12, 2008, 06:43:38 AM »

Notice that the films lists and books at Gouldings Lodge don't even mention Once Upon a Time in the West being (partially) filmed there.  That part is interesting...

I was in Chino Valley, AZ Wed-Thursday, back to work today...wife rode her horse up there...

Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

« #2 : September 12, 2008, 06:51:25 AM »

Cusser, you're right. I remembered that fact in 2005 also. But I also noticed that in most of the souvenir shops, there is books about films that were shot in MV. Not a single mention about SL, but Steven Spielberg with Back to the Futur 3, yes, Ridley Scott with Thelma and Louise yes, No Leone mention. Strangely, it's one of the top western of all time! But he's not American, that's why. 

Mcbain
Bandido

« #3 : September 18, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »

Hi all. Presently on vacation. I am in Flagsaff, taking the road for Sedona tomorrow. We went to the Grand Canyon (2 days) and Monument Valley at Goulding's lodge. The view from our balcony was breath taking! I went to the arch and gladly saw that it was the same (almost) as it was in 2005 when I went for the fist time. The wooden beam is still there. I don't think many folks (besides Leone fans) go there quite often, fortunately. Took around 15 pics but the first time I went, I took something like 50 pics from all angles. Inside Monument Valley, I saw a few shot locations, but it is forbidden to get off the road to take a closer look. I tried, but one of the fellow Navajo resident horse riding yelled at me from a distance. I couldn't understand a damn thing but it was easy to understand that he tried to tell me to get the f..ck out of there. Anyway, so far it is an extremely nice trip and felt sad and melancolic on site! 

Long time since I posted.  That is awsome you went again.  We are about to go and see the area and research movie locations.  Can you give me an idea how to find the arch and how difficult it will be to locate.  Are you allowed to go to it all or do you need to sneak over?  We will either stay the "The View" or Gouldings.  The "View" opens Dec 6th and has a better view of the area.

I wonder how it will be in early December?

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #4 : September 18, 2008, 11:47:01 AM »

see the end of this thread
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6889.msg118492#new

Mcbain
Bandido

« #5 : September 18, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

see the end of this thread
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6889.msg118492#new

So take 163, then take a right on unpaved 432 go up 75 feet and look to the right?  Is there any problem with the locals walking over to it to see it up close?

Thanks,

Eric

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #6 : September 18, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »

While traveling North on 163: 14 miles north of Arizona border, dirt road on the west (left) side, the sign is in off the road a little, on the right side of the dirt road.  No, there's no one around for miles, you can drive right up to the arch, it's about 1.5 to 2 miles in, and you can see it to your right on a little hill as you get part-way on the dirt road; you can photograph it, touch it.  The dirt road actually dead/ends and circles the arch.  You do not need an off-road vehicle or 4-wheel drive.

« : September 18, 2008, 05:34:33 PM Cusser »
Mcbain
Bandido

« #7 : September 19, 2008, 08:33:55 AM »

While traveling North on 163: 14 miles north of Arizona border, dirt road on the west (left) side, the sign is in off the road a little, on the right side of the dirt road.  No, there's no one around for miles, you can drive right up to the arch, it's about 1.5 to 2 miles in, and you can see it to your right on a little hill as you get part-way on the dirt road; you can photograph it, touch it.  The dirt road actually dead/ends and circles the arch.  You do not need an off-road vehicle or 4-wheel drive.

Cusser...thank you very much for your help.  I will just try and look for the little 432 marker on the dirt road.  I can't wait to go!!!  The only thing we are trying to figure out is if we should go in December or March.  I want to avoid crowds as we are staying at either Gouldings or the new "View".  Is the weather really poor in December and unbearably cold even in the day in your experience?

Thanks,

Eric

Cusser
Bounty Killer

« #8 : September 19, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »

Obviously, in general, December would be colder than March.  I'm at 1000 ft elevation here in Phoenix, and our December daytime highs get to about 64 *F, cool down to maybe 40-45 *F at night.  Monument Valley is about 5500 ft elevation, their December highs should be 40-50 *F.

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USUT0171_f.html
December ave. high 44, low 27
March ave high 60, low 37

Mcbain
Bandido

« #9 : September 24, 2008, 11:13:41 AM »

Obviously, in general, December would be colder than March.  I'm at 1000 ft elevation here in Phoenix, and our December daytime highs get to about 64 *F, cool down to maybe 40-45 *F at night.  Monument Valley is about 5500 ft elevation, their December highs should be 40-50 *F.

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USUT0171_f.html
December ave. high 44, low 27
March ave high 60, low 37

Cusser..thanks for all the help!  I hope we can stand the Dec cold and enjoy the outdoors.  We are excited!

Thanks,

E

Mcbain
Bandido

« #10 : May 15, 2009, 08:57:05 AM »

Cusser..thanks for all the help!  I hope we can stand the Dec cold and enjoy the outdoors.  We are excited!

Thanks,

E

Cusser....we made it!!! Our sincere thanks for your help!  We had to postpone the Winter trip we planned due to the bitter cold & blizzard.   We have had 3 days of taking tons of pictures and searching locations etc.  The weather is great. We have stayed with some old timer locals in the lower valley who have a lot of stories about the Arch and the area around it.  The Arch was hard to get too due to the rough road but was a haunting location no doubt...we visited the site a couple times.  Glass, rusty nails and horse/donkey droppings everywhere along the road.  Anyways LOTS of interesting stuff to talk about when we get back.

Cheers,

Eric 

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines