Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2022, 05:22:58 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Paul Newman's dead
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Paul Newman's dead  ( 13338 )
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« : September 27, 2008, 07:46:35 AM »

It finally happened.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_newman

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #1 : September 27, 2008, 08:04:23 AM »

:'( :'( :'(

the greatest living actor has died

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : September 27, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »

Thats terrible news, he was a great one.  :'(

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3 : September 27, 2008, 08:16:35 AM »

Well, there's a lot of english-speaking actors left as good or better than him: Nicholson, Hoffman, De Niro, Pacino. And, of course (I presume)  an even bigger lot of non-english speaking ones. I never considered Newman as good as Brando or Dean in their prime: too marked tendency to repeat the same mimicry (which is why I can little put up with De Niro's acting in the last 20 years) . Actually I think he got better with time, though his movies didn't (maybe The Verdict being the only exception in the last 30 years). In other words: he played better in The Colour of Money than in The Hustler, but the second was the better movie.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #4 : September 27, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »

Rest in peace, Butch.  :'( :'( :'(

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

« #5 : September 27, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

I've only seen cool hand luke from what I remember and that was a great movie.
rip

Whalestoe

« #6 : September 27, 2008, 10:20:33 AM »

Sad day.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #7 : September 27, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »

:'(

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #8 : September 27, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »

This is truly a sad day for me. It was always a dream of mine to meet Paul Newman who has been one of my favorite actor's ever since I started watching film as a young kid. He is one of the greatest actor's anybody will ever see. He's had countless classic performances that will stand the test of time. I also like the fact that he kept a quiet and private personal life and wasn't in the Hollywood lime light. I respected that.

Paul Newman will be greatly missed. You're not going to find many quite like him working in the industry today. May he rest in peace.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Whalestoe

« #9 : September 28, 2008, 12:26:19 AM »

I know this will piss RR and TB off, but... I just have to...

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/365464

geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #10 : September 28, 2008, 07:04:25 AM »

This is truly a sad day for me. It was always a dream of mine to meet Paul Newman who has been one of my favorite actor's ever since I started watching film as a young kid. He is one of the greatest actor's anybody will ever see. He's had countless classic performances that will stand the test of time. I also like the fact that he kept a quiet and private personal life and wasn't in the Hollywood lime light. I respected that.

Paul Newman will be greatly missed. You're not going to find many quite like him working in the industry today. May he rest in peace.

Very well said TB. I recently saw "The Long Hot Summer". He was absolutely brilliant in most of his films, including this one.
He has to rank as one of the most handsome and greatest  actors of all times. No, I am not gay, but if I was,
he would be on the top of my list.
He was truly a class act all the way. :'(

« : September 28, 2008, 07:06:09 AM geoman-1 »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #11 : September 28, 2008, 07:08:32 AM »

I went to a matinee performance of A Man For All Seasons yesterday, and during the curtain call, while most of us were giving Frank Langella a standing ovation, Langella gestured and asked everybody to sit back down. He then gave a fairly moving tribute to Newman, and it was only then that I learned about his death. I say a fairly moving tribute, because he focused on Newman's role as patron of the arts. According to Langella, Newman was an avid theater-goer, and attended at least one performance of everything Langella had ever been in. I don't doubt that he and Joanne Woodward have been financial supporters of live theater as well. It was an odd thing to highlight, perhaps, but I guess Langella wanted to testify to what he knew of the man personally. I guess we can get tributes about his acting and political activism elsewhere. Still, remembering Newman for being a faithful audience was a little odd, and it felt odder still when Langella concluded by leading us in a 60-seconds-of-silence thing. I immediately thought of one of Newman's later performances--a very good one--in The Hudsucker Proxy, a film in which the 60-seconds-of-silence thing is expressly mocked by the Coens . . . Well, that's where we are, I guess: irony so informs our films and dramas that it seeps into every crack of real life as well. The passing of an iconic actor becomes just another occasion for . . . more theater.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #12 : September 28, 2008, 07:14:22 AM »

Absolutely fascinating DJ.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #13 : September 30, 2008, 09:09:40 AM »

I was listening to "Raindrops Are Falling" at the time of his death, although I didn't know it until 12 hours later.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #14 : September 30, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »

I know this will piss RR and TB off, but... I just have to...

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/365464

It doesn't piss me off because Paul Newman wasn't ignorant about his politics. He had his beliefs yes but he didn't go on T.V. and act like an ignorant, know it all bafoon in the process.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines