Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2024, 03:51:20 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU soundtrack on vinyl - anyone else...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: GBU soundtrack on vinyl - anyone else...  ( 13057 )
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« : October 11, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »

have this?   I went to a flea market today and saw it in the front of a pile of other vinyl record albums.  I walked up to it and grabbed it, of course.  The plastic is still covering the sleeve and the record itself is in excellent condition!  Even the original price tag is still on it - from a store called 'Korvettes', if anyone remembers that store (I've heard of it, but never been in one or seen one).   I couldnt' believe the price - only $2.00!   I was wondering if anyone else has this??  BTW, it IS Ennio Morricone's music - NOT a 'tribute' or 'remake' album.   The list of music on it, beside the main title song is: The Sundown, The Strong, The Desert, The Carriage of the Spirits, Marcia, The Story of a Soldier, Marcia Without Hope, The Death of a Soldier, The Ecstasy of Gold, and The Trio.   The music company is United Artists.  Does anyone else have this and/or know how much it may be worth?   Just curious 'cause, being a GBU fan, I CERTAINLY was NOT going to let this bargain slip by me - lol.   Btw, the artwork on the front of the sleeve is excellent.  I'm not sure of the artist, but it's fantastic!  If you know anything regarding who the artist of the cover is, feel free to jump in and add your two sense - lol - thanks! ;)

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #1 : October 12, 2008, 12:39:58 AM »

It's possibly a reprint and thus not especially valuable. I saw a reprint myself once but it cost around $20. I think the year of printing is there somewhere on the back sleeve. But anyway $2.00 even for a reprint is a great bargain O0

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : October 12, 2008, 04:46:49 AM »

The one I have that I bought in 1968 Has an red border with  an orange field, it has the same cover art that the CD has. The back has the newspaper add that appeared in the New York papers on the left and the song list on the right. There is no date on the album cover but there is a date 3/67 on the inside sleve.

« : October 12, 2008, 12:51:16 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #3 : October 12, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »

Moviesceleton - a great bargain indeed - :D  I doubt it's a reprint - looks too old and '60s-ish' to be a recent reprint.

Cj, Mine too, is also the same on the front - red border with the orange background.  At the bottom, there is a rectangular painting of a battle/war scene and above that is the orange background with Blondie, AE and Tuco.  Blondie is standing to the left of a cannon.  As for the newspaper ad on the back, mine has the same thing.  To the right, there's the list of songs on the record.  On the back at the top left, it has the old 'United Artists' logo and lettering.   The year on the one I bought is also 1967, but doesn't have the month, though I don't think that's a big deal.  :(    Thanks to both of you for your reply.  I just wanted to see who else had this and was wondering if I found something really good (whether it's worth alot or not, it's a great little piece of found movie 'treasure' -  I saw it sitting there, sticking out like a sore thumb, so I HAD to grab it!  - O0 ;)

« : October 12, 2008, 11:34:47 AM Calamity Jane »
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #4 : October 12, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »

Yeah, I have that GBU soundtrack record as well, from 1968.  I also have a still-sealed copy of a later record of same issued under the Liberty label, but it's mainly white in front instead of the orange-red.  The one to have is the European CD Il Buono Il Brutto Il Cattivo  (Italy) Apr. 1, 2001   
GDM 7001, 21 tracks.  I made a combination from that and some bootleg tracks.  For Once Upon a Time in The West I have two C'era Una Volta Il West  RCA Import (Italy) OST 142 (1999) 20 tracks(plus the U.S. soundtrack record from way back).

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #5 : October 12, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »

Wow - interesting!  I would never have known that there was a European CD out with the same soundtrack.  I guess it's not available for purchase here in the states, eh?   If not, looks like I won't be getting that in this lifetime - :(

« : October 12, 2008, 11:38:41 PM Calamity Jane »
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« #6 : October 13, 2008, 01:13:10 AM »

I have the UK original UA release of this LP. I bought mine off ebay about 6 yrs ago for around £3.
Before ebay was around and I used to get all of my records from the listings in Record Collector magazine I can't help but think that I would have paid a lot more. About 15 years ago I bought the original UK release of Fistful of Dollars on RCA (beautiful 60's artwork which has thankfully been recreated on the recent CD release). It cost me £15 - a fairly standard price for an old soundtrack like that in excellent condition.
Anyway back to my point, a slight sweeping statement but I do believe that the value of vinyl has come down considerably in the last 5 - 10 yrs.
An example;
Collecting original Frank Zappa Verve US stereo releases if I was lucky enough to see them listed in Record Collector I could expect to pay over £40 if they were in good (at least Very Good by their own grading system) condition. 5 years ago I bought perhaps one of the most rare of those albums (Lumpy Gravy) direct from a seller in the US on ebay and paid a qtr of the price including P&P.

Anyway back to the GBU, it's worth having them on vinyl at least for the artwork even if you don't have a turntable!!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #7 : October 13, 2008, 05:56:28 AM »

I didn't buy my CDs off Ebay except for Gui la Testa.  They may be out of print now, though, so Ebay may be best source, maybe Amazon.

see http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=1357, that's a great reference

il brutto
Bandido

« #8 : October 13, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »

I didn't buy my CDs off Ebay except for Gui la Testa.  They may be out of print now, though, so Ebay may be best source, maybe Amazon.

see http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=1357, that's a great reference

It's very funny to see the english transation of the tracks in the Capitol Records/MGM Music 7243-57845-3-2: some italian titles are translated in such a bad way, like "Il forte" as "The strong" (and not The Fort), or "Fine di una spia" as "Fine of a spy" (and not "End of a spy"). Just two examples, it would be interesting to know who translated the titles....

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

« #9 : October 13, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »

One interesting thing I found on the record itself is, on both sides (below 'The Good, the Bad & the Ugly'), it has II Buono, II Brutto, II Cattivo.   I guess that's standard, but not sure.  Just a side note I thought I'd post.  I found it interesting that it has both the English AND Italian titles together (the English above the Italian title).   :D

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #10 : October 13, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »

It's very funny to see the english transation of the tracks in the Capitol Records/MGM Music 7243-57845-3-2: some italian titles are translated in such a bad way, like "Il forte" as "The strong" (and not The Fort), or "Fine di una spia" as "Fine of a spy" (and not "End of a spy"). Just two examples, it would be interesting to know who translated the titles....

Probably the same genius who translated "Bad Man's River" as "El Hombre de Rio Malo".  Or one of his relatives.  ;)

sergios specs
Chicken Thief

« #11 : October 13, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »

dear calamity, get on to a dutch website called cinecityplanet, they stock the european cd for about 15 euros, i assume you are in the states so you would have to work out the price in  dollari. if you get no joy there e mail me your address and i will burn you off a copy. do not under any circumstances get the english/usa version because il triello does not have the movie version tagged on to the end and doesn't have the better version of story of a soldier on either, good luck

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #12 : October 13, 2008, 07:56:05 PM »

Collecting original Frank Zappa Verve US stereo releases if I was lucky enough to see them listed in Record Collector I could expect to pay over £40 if they were in good (at least Very Good by their own grading system) condition. 5 years ago I bought perhaps one of the most rare of those albums (Lumpy Gravy) direct from a seller in the US on ebay and paid a qtr of the price including P&P.

Well, I have one question for you, sir.  Do you have Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka?  I know they aren't Verve releases, but still...

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« #13 : October 14, 2008, 02:02:30 AM »

"Well, I have one question for you, sir.  Do you have Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka?  I know they aren't Verve releases, but still..."

Yes thank you I do

Some of the worst translation is on Japanese lyric inserts in 12"s
When I got a Japanese Iron Maiden 12" from 1980 (entitled Live + one) I glanced at the lyrics for Phantom of the Opera and found that the line "Standing in the wings there you wait for the curtain the fall" had become something like "You stand there every Wednesday and wait for the curtain to fall"

I wish I could remember more because they were literally unbelievable!!

The Rat

« : October 14, 2008, 02:19:07 AM Dirty Rat »
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #14 : October 14, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »

"Well, I have one question for you, sir.  Do you have Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka?  I know they aren't Verve releases, but still..."

Yes thank you I do

Some of the worst translation is on Japanese lyric inserts in 12"s
When I got a Japanese Iron Maiden 12" from 1980 (entitled Live + one) I glanced at the lyrics for Phantom of the Opera and found that the line "Standing in the wings there you wait for the curtain the fall" had become something like "You stand there every Wednesday and wait for the curtain to fall"

I wish I could remember more because they were literally unbelievable!!

The Rat

Wow, I wonder what those translators would've done to "Willie the Pimp"...

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines