Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2022, 05:16:24 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone Oscar Night
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Morricone Oscar Night  ( 5439 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : June 10, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDN1e_OIKw

I hadn't seen it before. Amazing his emotivity. Funny his roman accent. And bravo for not having made Berlitz richer. But if they hadn't concocted it before, Eastwood has learned his italian, even if he can't pronounce the Maestro's last name correctly after all these years.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #1 : June 11, 2009, 05:22:27 AM »

Nice, thanks for posting  O0.

I assume Eastwood's translation was prepared in advance.

Of course he doesn't pronounce Morricone as an Italian would. Even if he could speak Italian, it would be strange for him not to pronounce it as an English speaker; it might even come across as pretentious.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #2 : June 11, 2009, 05:35:18 AM »

My wife was watching "So You Think You Can Dance" last night (one of those reality TV shows where amateurs vie for a dancing contract)

I could have sworn one of the songs used was a remix of the main theme to DYS. By the time I made it over to the TV it was just finishing so I couldn't be sure.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #3 : June 11, 2009, 05:38:10 AM »

Yes, I remember I was touched, very emotional moment.

But I also remember some of the faces in the front looking unbelievably stupid.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : June 11, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »

Nice, thanks for posting  O0.

I assume Eastwood's translation was prepared in advance.

Of course he doesn't pronounce Morricone as an Italian would. Even if he could speak Italian, it would be strange for him not to pronounce it as an English speaker; it might even come across as pretentious.

Having let his countrymen assume he can understand italian, I don't think a correct pronunciation of his colleague's name would make any difference. And I don't think it would have made a difference anyway, as 90% of people there didn't know who Morricone is.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #5 : June 11, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »

Titoli, Clint is reading from a teleprompter. Everyone in the audience knows this so no-one would be making the assumption that Clint can speak Italian.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : June 11, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »

Titoli, Clint is reading from a teleprompter. Everyone in the audience knows this so no-one would be making the assumption that Clint can speak Italian.

You're probably right, though I presume few watched behind their backs to see if a teleprompter was there. And still I don't think it would have made any difference to that audience if Eastwood had pronounced the name correctly.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #7 : June 11, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »

90% of them knew he was an Italian film composer, but maybe 15% of them could enumerate more than five or six scores he composed.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #8 : June 11, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »

You're probably right, though I presume few watched behind their backs to see if a teleprompter was there. And still I don't think it would have made any difference to that audience if Eastwood had pronounced the name correctly.

Doesn't it say in one Frayling's books that John Ford gave Sergio Leone a signed photo dedicated to "Sergio Leoni". Butchering the spelling is going one step further than simply the pronunciation, although when you think of how English speakers pronounce "Leone", you can see why he spelled it that way.

« : June 11, 2009, 04:57:07 PM Novecento »
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines