Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 29, 2022, 01:19:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tuco's literacy
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Tuco's literacy  ( 5152 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : June 24, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »

I was reading at IMDB a viewer's objection:

The Ecstasy of Gold scene is a little unbelievable, could a person like Tuco, who seems to struggle with reading, find the name on a grave while running through a graveyard in circles?

I don't think this opinion has any substance.

Rudra
Chicken Thief

« #1 : June 24, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

He may not have been a high school pass, if there was ever such a thing in those times, yet he could certainly read. Did not he read the map and the directions off it? His reading skills were not proficient, yet he read it almost flawlessly "See you soon Id..idi.."

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : June 25, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »

Yes he could read but his vocabulary is lacking.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #3 : June 25, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »

Yes, I think it was extremely important to show that Tuco could read the note, to establish that he could read.

Remember, the Ecstacy of Gold scene in real time likely took several hours; I consider the montage to show the passing of time searching for the grave marker to be the best overall scene in ALL of film history.  But Tuco's joy when rummaging through the gold coins then standing and having his head "framed" by the noose sure takes a close second.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : June 25, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »

But the objection it is not that he can't read, but if his literacy level (which the reading of Sentenza's note proves as being very low) allows him to read while running.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #5 : June 26, 2011, 02:44:10 AM »

Makes me remember of a story my grandfather told me: there was this fella that worked with him, who was nearly deaf. He, apparently, wouldn't understand a single word during a conversation. But, when someone would yell to him from the other side of the factory that he got a raise, he'd catch the meaning of what was said very quickly. The boys apparently played this prank on him quite often too.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #6 : June 26, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »

Remember, the Ecstacy of Gold scene in real time likely took several hours; I consider the montage to show the passing of time searching for the grave marker to be the best overall scene in ALL of film history.  But Tuco's joy when rummaging through the gold coins then standing and having his head "framed" by the noose sure takes a close second.

They're all great, but I'd put Il Triello (ie. the final shootout) slightly ahead of the Ecstacy of Gold scene; though both are abolute classics. Whether it re-mythologoizing the classic Western duel or looking for buried gold Sergio had this incredible way to stretch time, with music, closeups, and staring and staring and staring, etc.   O0

« : June 26, 2011, 02:47:25 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
El Gorila
Chicken Thief

Fist Full of Nanners

« #7 : June 29, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »

Maybe Angel Eyes had really shitty penmanship ?

Carson, Carson, nice to meet you Carson, I'm King Kongs grandfather, What was that you said about those nanners ?
Eswar
Road Apple

« #8 : September 23, 2011, 03:00:32 AM »

Even the "unk.. unk.. there's no name on it!" too. Tuco might not have been as literate, but at least he's street smart. He could have known 'Arch Stanton' starts with an 'A', and the grave must be freshly dug relative to the others.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines