Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2021, 08:46:21 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  North to Alaska (1960)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: North to Alaska (1960)  ( 4272 )
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« : March 08, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »

random thoughts

Not a big Hathaway fan at all--his movies are always too long and could have been handled better by someone more talented. This was surprisingly good, though Hawks or Ford could have delivered something great and certainly touched up the script a bit.

Its climax is terrible but the pacing saves the movie.

If you can't handle the Ford or Wayne brand of humor, stay away from this one.

I thought this one got better as went along (discounting the climax). 

I don't really understand the shot of the rainbow-ish, sort of cosmic constellation-ish sort of thing in the sky used in the cabin scenes but I thought it was a good departure and I wish the rest of the movie was handled as nicely.

The bit at the mine was pretty good. It could have been better but it was clever.

On a side note, I don't really understand how Wayne could have been drunk the entire time spent with Angel played by Capucine. I thought that was handled poorly. Wayne seemed sober the next day at the tree climb lol.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : March 09, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »

I don't really understand the shot of the rainbow-ish, sort of cosmic constelation-ish sort of thing in the sky used in the cabin scenes but I thought it was a good departure and I wish the rest of the movie was handled as nicely.

That was supposed to be the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #2 : March 09, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »

Oh, now that makes sense. lol

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Mr.Cho-Cho
Bandido

Something to do with death

« #3 : April 29, 2020, 04:09:48 PM »

I watched this one for the first time this evening.

Hathaway is a bit hit or miss for me, but his Westerns output is pretty good, especially the ones he did with John Wayne. I admit though, sometimes his films can be overlong, this one just about got away with it. As the OP points out, the climax is a bit weak, but I guess it tied up the loose ends without dragging the film out longer. I don't mind the John Ford humour, but in the later John Wayne films the punch-ups comedy is a bit routine and irksome and North to Alaska is full of it; it's funny, because I don't this style of comedy appears in any of the other Hathaway/Wayne westerns. With that said though, I quite enjoyed this; and I'm not a Stewart Grainger fan, but I liked him in this one. I'm also not really a fan of John Wayne, but I have to hand it to him he made some pretty solid movies and on occassion gave some truly great performances. I felt this one was like the beginning of the later John Wayne movies and most of his films after this followed the style, it felt really similar to the films he made with Andrew McLaglen.

I'd give this one a 7/10

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #4 : April 30, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »

The kind of "later Wayne films" actually started with Rio Bravo.

Hmm ... McLaglen, he surely would have ruined the film. The other way round Hathaway would have saved every forgettable later Wayne western. And these are at first all by the Mc and also The Train Robbers and the True Grit sequel Rooster Cogburn. With Hathaway at the helm this could all have become 6/10 films, cause mostly the stories are not the problem, but the storytelling.
But the Henry-directed Legend of the Lost is still a total turkey, this was the kind of film which couldn't be saved by any kind of professional directing.

Mr.Cho-Cho
Bandido

« #5 : April 30, 2020, 03:31:21 AM »

I've not seen Mc, The Train Robbers and Legend of the Lost, and have no plans to; I actually enjoyed Rooster Cogburn and thought it was as good as True Grit.

I can understand why people don't like the McLaglen films; I've only seen his films with John Wayne, I don't mind them, but they're a bit hackneyed. North to Alaska probably would have been less enjoyable if McLaglen had been at the helm.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #6 : April 30, 2020, 06:16:15 AM »

I've not seen Mc, The Train Robbers and Legend of the Lost, and have no plans to; I actually enjoyed Rooster Cogburn and thought it was as good as True Grit.

For me there are easily some light-years between True Grit and its sequel.
I really like True Grit, and think it is an underrated film, especially if compared to Rio Bravo or El Dorado. All 3 get a 9/10.
Rooster Cogburn is about 3/10

Mc ( ;) ) is btw not a film, but stands here for all McLaglen westerns with Wayne (the ones without Wayne are all similar mediocre or bad)

Mr.Cho-Cho
Bandido

« #7 : April 30, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »

oops, I think I was thinking of McQ for some reason, but I get what you were saying now about his films.

Personally, I like True Grit, but I prefer El Dorado (probably cos I'm a Mitchum fan) and I think Rio Bravo is next level.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines