Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 11, 2022, 05:02:45 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  References to Leone on TV
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: References to Leone on TV  ( 8939 )
Biondo
Chicken Thief

Giù la testa coglione!

« : April 10, 2004, 05:15:17 AM »

in my country there are a lot of references to Leone's films on TV. For istance in a daily poupular tv program about food, there's a  duel between two cooks and in background you can listen to the GBU music theme.
Then there's a progam  entitled "For a fistful of books"
...ah...don't  forget, the last  Metallica tour (first date in europe, if i'm not wrong)  is started with the Morricone score "The ecstacy of gold" ;)

in your country, which is the situation?

« : April 10, 2004, 11:37:09 AM alberto »
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #1 : April 10, 2004, 07:31:27 AM »

Hey Alberto. Sei Italiano, vero?

In England, the GBU theme is well known as part of popular culture, and is occasionally used in a similar way to your example, but apart from the only references are rare and obscure.

It's class.
Biondo
Chicken Thief

Giù la testa coglione!

« #2 : April 10, 2004, 09:50:56 AM »

Si redyred, sono italiano!

Sorry for my english! if they only spent  a bit more time  teaching me your language at the high school, intead of the Latin language! ??? ??? ???
it's unbelievable the languege who Julius Cesar, the emperor, spoke 2000 years ago!

I also remenber an episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer dares Winchester at the chilli contest, and you can hear the GBU theme and see Leone style reinvented by Matt Groening!

« : April 11, 2004, 01:21:02 AM alberto »
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #3 : April 10, 2004, 10:20:29 AM »

In france, Morricone's score are know, but that all. You don't have reference on the tv or thing like this. But, some time, like now, you can heard a theme; for an exemple, at this time, there is a pub for a car at the tv with the man with harmonica's theme... And morricones's songs are sometimes in "tout le sport", a sport emission, like the dust brothers' songs (Fight Club). But just the music. You don't have references like a fistful of book...
It's sad.
But it's normal because Leone was Italian, and in the country of the most fabulous director of all the time, you MUST talk about him  ;D
A thing choked me; I make cinema studies, and I had to make a homework about a famous artist. So I take Sergio Leone, cause he is my favorite director. All was good!!! But when I read my paper at my English teacher...HO MY GOD...she didn't know Leone  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( !!!!!!!!!!!!! I belived I was dying, I was with Sentenza...

« : April 10, 2004, 10:29:26 AM john baldwin »

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Biondo
Chicken Thief

Giù la testa coglione!

« #4 : April 11, 2004, 01:39:56 AM »

John don't think that in italy the memory of Leone is so strong!

I thought the best web site dediceted to him was Italian, but I found only a few in my language, the best one is this site and someone other  in english too!

"Such ingratitude after all the time he's raised our flag"

« : April 11, 2004, 08:23:16 AM Biondo »
Biondo
Chicken Thief

Giù la testa coglione!

« #5 : April 12, 2004, 03:58:38 AM »

John, do you like Luc Besson?
I love Nikita and Leon! :)

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #6 : April 12, 2004, 06:14:11 AM »

Yeah, I like Luc Besson. I like very very much Leon, and sorry, I've never watch Nikita that I have in VHS, so like I'm in hollidays, I'm going to watch it... And I don't know if you know Le Grand Bleu ( again with Jean Reno), which is a fabulous movie...And off course The fifth element (Bruce Willis...). There is too Jeanne D'arc (again Jowovitch)...and I forgot...
So yes, I like him. And actually he has a project: he wants to build studios near to Paris; it will be gigantesque, collossal, with all the cinema's works... Like Cinecittà to Rome (I like Rome too).

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Biondo
Chicken Thief

Giù la testa coglione!

« #7 : April 12, 2004, 07:55:52 AM »

I forgot!

I like very much Eric Serra too, who is to Besson like E. Morricone is to Leone!
I've seen "Jeanne D'arc" but not "le grand bleu" and "The fifth element".
watch Nikita it's a great film, by me!

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #8 : April 12, 2004, 08:46:53 AM »

Biondo, you MUST watch Le Grand Bleu; I find it's THE movie from Besson, with Leon. For me it's a masterpice.
E grandioso...

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #9 : April 13, 2004, 05:29:13 AM »

Leon is one of my favourite films. I thought the fifth element was terrible though - really overrated. I haven't seen any of his others.

« : April 13, 2004, 05:29:46 AM redyred »

It's class.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #10 : April 13, 2004, 08:41:51 AM »

It's nice to see that a French director is famous...I didn't know...And I like the fifth element too, but I find that Le grand bleu is better...You have to watch; it's an emotional movie, not action like 5th element or Jeanne d'Arc; in fact you find the emotion of Leon, without the action...marvelous!

« : April 13, 2004, 08:43:20 AM john baldwin »

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #11 : April 13, 2004, 11:32:27 AM »

"Le Grand Bleu" and "Leon" are a good movies, but just that.

Not in the same league as Leone's movies.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #12 : April 13, 2004, 02:41:23 PM »

Yeah Shorty, you're right.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #13 : April 22, 2004, 02:44:22 PM »

Hey, I watched Nikita this evening, 15 minutes ago...It's not as good as Leon but...it's nice. I like the screenplay but the end is.......strange; very strange!!!!!!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #14 : April 23, 2004, 03:42:52 AM »

To the original poster: We already have a couple of threads on this topic, but still, very good question.  What I've noticed in the US is that, surprisingly, it's children's cartoon shows which seem to reference Leone a lot.  "Rugrats", "CatDog", "Recess", even "SpongeBob SquarePants" have featured episodes which are very explict Leone parodies (particularly "Fistful of Dollars").  In the "CatDog" episode, there was even a flashback a la OUATITW.  So yes, it does happen.

Saturday nights with Groggy
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines