Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:00:36 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jesus Christ - IT'S HENRY FONDA!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Jesus Christ - IT'S HENRY FONDA!  ( 8785 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« : April 12, 2004, 03:06:50 PM »

Okay, for our 9th Grade drama class, we have to dress up like, give a presentation on, and show a clip for a "classic actor".  I initially wanted to do Peter Boyle, but that didn't pan out very well, so now I'm doing Henry Fonda!

Now, what scene from OUATITW do you think I should show?  It needs to be under five minutes.  I'm gonna go over the DVD again tonight, but if you have any suggestions I'd be most appreciative.   ;D

Saturday nights with Groggy
KERMIT

« #1 : April 12, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »

Okay, for our 9th Grade drama class, we have to dress up like, give a presentation on, and show a clip for a "classic actor".  I initially wanted to do Peter Boyle, but that didn't pan out very well, so now I'm doing Henry Fonda!

Now, what scene from OUATITW do you think I should show?  It needs to be under five minutes.  I'm gonna go over the DVD again tonight, but if you have any suggestions I'd be most appreciative.   ;D
the whole dialog frank and mr. morton have about removing small obstacles from the track. "don't play the cripple with me mr. morton". would that be under 5 mins. ?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #2 : April 13, 2004, 03:43:44 AM »

the whole dialog frank and mr. morton have about removing small obstacles from the track. "don't play the cripple with me mr. morton". would that be under 5 mins. ?

Yeah, good call Kermit.  I'm thinking either that or the scene where Frank captures Harmonica on the train.  I was going to do the final duel, or at least a section of it, but all told it's upwards of 12 minutes long, and if I skip straight to the flashback it won't make sense.  I don't want to do the McBain massacre because Fonda doesn't really do a whole lot in that scene (plus I doubt anyone would know what's going on).

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #3 : April 13, 2004, 11:11:28 AM »

How about the scene where he talks to harmonica in the bar - "5,000 dollars... plus one"

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #4 : April 13, 2004, 12:01:53 PM »

"Man dosn't even trust his own pants"
Just for stomping around the Carrage like he owns the dame thing, flicking a Cigar a Wobbles. before he throws him out.
"Bensons died!!! Who are you!?!?" Smacks Harmonica around.

It has everything

Actually i don't think that whole scene would go down to well in a drama class. If you get that stare down pat.
Scare the hell out of me personally... if you haddn't scene Once/West  ;D scratch that idea.

« : April 13, 2004, 12:04:27 PM The Smoker »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #5 : April 13, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »

How about the scene where he talks to harmonica in the bar - "5,000 dollars... plus one"

Hmm.  For some reason I didn't watch that one last night.  I'll check it out.

My real concern right this second is wardrobe.  I know WHAT to wear, but I don't if I have the proper materials.  ;D

JFM
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #6 : April 14, 2004, 08:40:16 AM »

If you want a bit with (obvious) good acting, then I'd suggest the bit after the encounter with Harmonica in the bar.

When he steps out, realizes something is wrong, and tries to get to his horse, while Harmonica keeps a watch over him. Henry Fonda does some pretty subtle acting in that scene -- no words, most is done with facial mimicry.

I don't know how long it is, but if it's less than 5 minutes, that's a scene that would highlight Fonda's acting as well as character.

---
jfm

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #7 : April 14, 2004, 10:56:11 AM »

If it is for a drama class, you may show the duel between Franck and the harmonica, because there is no dialogue, just the eyes, their expressions, so it's more difficult...And it's a great scene...Hope that you'll do others fans of Leone !!! ;D

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #8 : April 15, 2004, 11:17:02 AM »

Reading all the above comments made me realise how good every scene with Fonda is.  My personal favourite is just before the duel and begins with a majestic longshot of Frank riding his horse alongside the navvies.  The dialogue he has with Harmonica ties the film together.  They really are 'Once Upon A Time'.  'Other Mortimers will come along' Frank says.  He's not a businessman, just a man. An ancient race.  The railways and the ways of making a deal without a gun consigns the pair of them to history.  Fantastic stuff.

As for wardrobe, apart wearing black and having a toy gun, you could check your local Hardware/DIY shop to see if they have one of those long brown smocks some craftsman wear (or they do here in the UK).  This could pass as a duster.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #9 : April 15, 2004, 11:37:48 AM »

Hey Half Soldier. Hi and welcome in this forum which is, you'll see, marvelous...
I wanted to know if your signature is a dialogue from GBU? Cause there is one like this in this movie, between Tuco and Blondie, when they are in the mission...But if it'is, it is not "my worst ennemy"? In the French version it's like this.
"Je pourrais dormir sur mes deux oreilles, car je sais maintenant que mon pire ennemi veille sur moi !!!"

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #10 : April 15, 2004, 11:50:44 AM »

Hello John.  You're right it is the scene from the mission, but only as I thought it said.  I may be wrong.  I've seen all the films more times than is healthy  and there's still snippets that I find a bit ambiguous.  The other bit 'Can you make a baby' is what I think Rod Steiger says near the beginning of Fistful of Dynamite but I'm not sure.  I like to think it is.  I did German at school and my French extends no further than 'oui' and 'non' so you'll have to translate that last bit.  Thanks for the welcome - I'm glad to have found you.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
Danny
Bandido

People scare easier when they're dyin'

« #11 : April 16, 2004, 01:03:53 AM »

The murders at Sweetwater, "now you've called me by name...."

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #12 : April 16, 2004, 03:51:37 AM »

OK Half Soldier; I'm not sur to have all understand, but I think I understand the essential...And I watched too the movies a lot of time...Good continuation in this forum!!!
And I would to know if the "do you recognize this string" is the English translation from GBU, because I make the translation... ;) :-[

« : April 16, 2004, 03:54:12 AM john baldwin »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13 : April 26, 2004, 03:53:45 PM »

And today I did for Public Speaking a commentary on the "Transgression" sequence through Morton's death scene.  I didn't want to make a big ruccus over this because I acknowledge it's just me trying to put my "Leone gene" to sleep until the summer (when I'll have my Leone-thon like last year; this year I have FOD, so I can watch all five Westerns ;D).  

And just FYI: I got a 100/100 on my Fonda report. ;)

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #14 : April 29, 2004, 03:42:17 PM »

one of you guys was right... "can you make a baby" is from fistful of dynamyte, rod steiger says it to one of the rich snobs just before he forces himself on the rich woman. i guess he does it to show he's above the rich man in a way.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines