Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2021, 08:37:20 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gangs of New York
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
: Gangs of New York  ( 40449 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #15 : February 25, 2003, 05:01:57 PM »

I think Di Caprio was picked for the box office draw, also a lot of the other actors reside in or near NYC, so that may have effected casting. I agree I would have prefered someone else in Di Caprio's role too. I'm trying to think of another actor that may have been better, if I do I'll post it. In the meantime lets hear who would have been your choice.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #16 : February 26, 2003, 05:04:20 AM »

Thanx, Shorty, I also thought Leo didn't play his best part, but I wouldn't consider him to be a bad actor.  I thought he was pretty good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.  And the famous Titanic, which was actually a very good movie I thought, too bad it was a bit overblown and everybody was tired of it when it finally left theatres.  Anyway, I thought a very good part in it and really added some cheerful sense to the movie.
He's no Pacino, but I think he's underestimated because of his sex symbol image.  But who says he wants it that way?

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #17 : February 26, 2003, 12:55:14 PM »

The character is supposed to have irish origins...

How about Ewan McGregor, beeing scottish he can do fine an irish accent?

Would he be ok for the character? He also has to be young.

Waht do you thing?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #18 : February 28, 2003, 12:01:20 PM »

i saw it last week.I thought the first and last hours were excellent but the middle section featuring the DiCaprio/Diaz love story was poor-it slowed the film down,could have been removed from the film with little damage and seems to have been included to attract the female audience[no offense to any women reading this page!].If you want great Scorsese,watch 'Taxi Driver'or 'Goodfellas',in my opinion.
Still quite good though,I read somewhere that the original cut was 4 hours long[and soms of the violence looked cut].

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19 : February 28, 2003, 05:11:08 PM »

Ewan McGregor, possibly shorty, probably others could have done as good a job too.

I think what drew me to the film was the lavish sets and attention to detail also the attention to recreating 1860's New York City in the accents that so much reminded me of Leone's attention to recreating the American West, as well as 1920's New York.  

Bill the Butcher was also a very strong villan which was something Leone always used to offset his antihero, and in Gangs of New York there were refreshingly no heros, only anti-heros but unfortunately DiCaprio was not a particularly strong anti-hero.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #20 : March 02, 2003, 05:08:16 AM »

I agree, the film would have been more something for McGregor.  Hell yeah.  

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

« #21 : March 06, 2003, 04:08:11 AM »

the movie was deifently let down by the poor poor poor love scene between diaz di caprio, they were both crap.  There was no real love there, not even lust by thinking.  Anyway ewan, no i'd me more inclined to go with with Jude Law, a bit girlish i know but he looks like a mean bastard

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

« #22 : March 06, 2003, 04:11:19 AM »

i agree with this, the dicaprio/diaz love thing let down the whole movie, very little beliviable love, even lust.  The battle scenes bored me, in fact the whole movie was unlikely and boring.  But I am also not sure wether mcgregor would have done a good job, i would be more inclineded to go with the idea of jude law.  he is a bit girly but he has his dark sides, and he looks like a mean bastard

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #23 : March 06, 2003, 05:00:04 PM »

I think the final battle between Leo and Bill was even a bigger bummer...  So not Leone, as being too short I mean...

TBPJMR
Bandido

« #24 : March 07, 2003, 04:04:36 AM »

Gangs of New York has been the first time I saw Di Caprio play. As for the actor, I can't understand - after watching this movie -  how one can say he is not a great actor. Don't let the media influence you in the opposite sense.

And about the Di Caprio-Diaz story: it seems to me essential to the plot, and when I saw the film I didn't feel their relationship so unlikely.

In reading the latest posts of this topic I almost get the sensation that the many of you is considering Gangs of New York nearly a B-movie, and I hope there's someone that will agree if I say that's too much.

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #25 : March 07, 2003, 04:39:09 AM »

I thought it was good, despite some faults and it reminded me in parts of Leone and also reminded me of what we lost, it is nominated for Academy Awards so it is not considered a B movie here.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #26 : March 07, 2003, 01:54:04 PM »

Yeah, "B movie" is maybe too much!!!!

But I think, as the many of us, that the movie is far far away to be a masterpiece.

Some movie critics called it that way. THIS is too much.

Some scenes could remind us Leone, but Scorsese failed into giving reality and emotion to the characters, and to the film itself.

Scorsese failed in the topic where Leone is a "master", and maybe THE "master".

Each one for himself, and God against all.
TBPJMR
Bandido

« #27 : March 07, 2003, 04:36:08 PM »

I can be with you someway, but: Scorsese failed, or simply could not reach Leone's heights? I mean, I found the butcher charachter astonishing, and I don't think the merit can be ascribed only to the masterly interpretation of DD Lewis. And this may be just an example

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #28 : March 07, 2003, 05:41:39 PM »

If I were to pick the one element of the movie that could be elevated to that rarified height it would be DD Lewis's villan Bill the Butcher. So the question would be how much influence did Scorsese have in the development of this portrayal.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

« #29 : March 08, 2003, 09:20:18 AM »

The problem with the film is that it could have been a masterpiece, it has the pretention to be a masterpiece, but it just isn't, and that's why it hurts twice as much compared to other 'good' films.  

: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines