Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:50:39 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Angel Eyes reverting to caps&balls
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Angel Eyes reverting to caps&balls  ( 4811 )
elliot_belt
Chicken Thief

learn your horse.

« : September 10, 2010, 05:51:55 AM »

Just ocurred to me - did Angel Eyes revert to Caps&Balls in the final phase because he wanted to prevent anyone from secretly unloading his revolver like it happened to poor Tuco?

Any thoughts?

[...] the old man only said that it was pointless to speak of there being no horses in the world for God would not permit such a thing.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : September 10, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »

Just ocurred to me - did Angel Eyes revert to Caps&Balls in the final phase because he wanted to prevent anyone from secretly unloading his revolver like it happened to poor Tuco?

Any thoughts?

I could be that he didn't quite put his full trust in rim-fire cartridges, so when he wanted to be sure he used his own loads. Wild Bill Hitchcock continually used cap and ball even after the Colt SAA came out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #2 : September 11, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »

I could be that he didn't quite put his full trust in rim-fire cartridges, so when he wanted to be sure he used his own loads. Wild Bill Hitchcock continually used cap and ball even after the Colt SAA came out.
Rim fire ???.........I think you mean Centre Fire .

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : September 11, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »

No....... ;) rimfire,

The centerfire cartridge was invented by one Monsieur Clement Pottet of Paris and improvements were made by Monsieur Francois E. Schneider, also of Paris. The centerfire cartridge was introduced to England in 1861 by Mr. George H. Daw who owned a rifle manufacturing company and bought the English patent rights from Monsieur Schneider. The centerfire didn't get patented in the US until 1866.

All that was readily available were Henry Rifle cartridges in the US.

America was engulfed in the searing flames of the Civil War, and the first Henry rifles were in the hands of Union soldiers by mid 1862. Due to its revolutionary design and rapid rate of fire, the Henry quickly found popularity both with the military and civilian purchasers. Early sales were especially brisk in Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri and Indiana.  With its reliable .44 caliber rimfire metallic cartridge, the Henry produced a rapid and highly accurate fire.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #4 : September 11, 2010, 06:26:32 AM »

Rim fire ???.........I think you mean Centre Fire .

You're not gonna trap CJ on that particular topic. I tried several times.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« #5 : September 11, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »

Sorry to be a bit thick but what are you all talking about?
I thought LVC was just using a revolver with bullets like the other two

elliot_belt
Chicken Thief

learn your horse.

« #6 : September 11, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »

While my knowledge of guns is quite limited I understand that the cylinder of a Remington 1858  New Model Army (the gun Angel Eyes used) was interchangeable without the necessity to use special tools for this operation so that Angel Eyes could toggle between cartridges and caps&balls as he pleased. In the final shootout when AE's gun is shown close up one can see that he uses the caps&balls cylinder.
The thought I was following here was that AE maybe reverted back to caps&balls as soon as he began traveling with Blondie and his gang because as far as I know the unloading of a properly loaded percussion revolver may not go unnoticed by the owner of that gun so maybe AE took some precautions here...

[...] the old man only said that it was pointless to speak of there being no horses in the world for God would not permit such a thing.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : September 11, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »

The thought I was following here was that AE maybe reverted back to caps&balls as soon as he began traveling with Blondie and his gang because as far as I know the unloading of a properly loaded percussion revolver may not go unnoticed by the owner of that gun so maybe AE took some precautions here...

That is definitely a plausible scenario also.  O0

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

« #8 : September 11, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »

While my knowledge of guns is quite limited I understand that the cylinder of a Remington 1858  New Model Army (the gun Angel Eyes used) was interchangeable without the necessity to use special tools for this operation so that Angel Eyes could toggle between cartridges and caps&balls as he pleased. In the final shootout when AE's gun is shown close up one can see that he uses the caps&balls cylinder.

I see....

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines