Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2021, 03:45:55 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I quattro dell'Ave Maria aka Ace High (1968)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
: I quattro dell'Ave Maria aka Ace High (1968)  ( 48474 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #45 : August 02, 2005, 03:02:22 AM »

Yeau this film is really entertaining and is worth owning for Eli Wallachs(Tuco-like) performane alone.I've also got the prequel to this-"God Forgives I Don't" which i found disappointing in that it was slow,slightly tedious and completely lacking in the humour shown in Ace High(English title for above-mentioned film).I've avoided the 3rd in the trilogy-Boot Hill because apparently it's awfull.Has anybody seen Boot Hill and enjoyed it?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #46 : August 02, 2005, 12:03:49 PM »

I enjoyed this movie, which I have in the form of the english dubbed Ace High video.

Another Eli Wallach one I have is Long Live Death, co-starring Franco Nero, which is again worth a look.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #47 : August 03, 2005, 03:45:07 AM »

Hi Marco,i have got the USA video version of Long Live Your Death called Don't Turn The Other Cheek which includes a fun cartoon sequence during the opening credits,of two  bare bottoms  side by side wearing sombreros swaying left and right to the bubblegum theme of DTTOC!!!
Is this the same on the UK version you have?
      I see from your list you have Corbucci's(i think) Samurai aka The White,The Yellow and the Red which also has Wallach starring as well as Tomas Milian and Guliano Gemma.I've seen at available on Ebay from the Usa - is it worth getting hold of?

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #48 : August 03, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »

I don't remember that sequence banjo (which I surely would!), so I think my UK video must be edited.

Samurai is a recent purchase, so I haven't seen it yet.  When I asked about it on the SWWB opinion seemed to be pretty divided.  It was one of those love or hate ones I think, mainly because of Milian's samurai character.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #49 : August 08, 2005, 07:18:46 AM »

The White,The Yellow and the Red.   :o shudder

A parody of Red Sun.. Instead of a stolen sword its a donkey .ah mean pony.
It hasn't aged well. Thomas Milian's Sakura is on the wrong side of black and white minstrol show. And can provoke  butt-clenching embarrassment for the situation rather than laughter. Relies on too many pony fart jokes (Milian refers to it as 'her majesties sweet perfume')

Actually found Giuliano Gemma over the top kleptomanic charactor better than Eli Wallach (gulible Sheriff) in places. 
Other interesting part is what i think is a stab at post-modernism and spaghetti (low budget) self-parody (better realised in 'What am I doin in the middle of this revolution?") western bandits unconvincingly dressed up as native american indians who have stolen the pony. ;D

Corbucci's last spaghetti. Maybe he got the point this time, and moved on.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #50 : August 08, 2005, 12:09:33 PM »

Ha, looks like that's one to get excited about then  :'(

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #51 : August 13, 2005, 10:04:31 AM »

Just see what you think Marco. Just do one of your reviews, mate.

KERMIT

« #52 : August 13, 2005, 05:42:59 PM »

i read where clint told eli not to show off when begining GB&U. clint says this director isn't making a western like your used to.

it seems, in ACE HIGH, eli was badly under used. this is very interresting to hear "long live death", eli is somewhat sub-dude.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #53 : August 14, 2005, 03:09:31 AM »

I guess Eli's characters always have a Tuco feel about them, but there is something really likeable about him.

Smoker - Yeah, I'll watch Samurai with an unbiased eye, but sometimes the comedy ones do grate a bit with me (I really like Tomas Milian - one of my favourite of the SW actors - but I found his Charlie Chaplin-esq antics in Life is Tough Right Providence a bit too much, and imagine his Samurai may be similar).  I will write the usual review though once I get around to watching it (I have a backlog that will take me until about February next year  ;D ).

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #54 : August 14, 2005, 09:02:40 AM »

Provvidenza has good (well, at least original) saloon brawls scenes and the Morricone title song which is my current favourite and one of his best ever tunes. It makes the chasing sequence watchable. Samurai has nothing. Most of the jokes are lame in both movies and for the most part can't be effectively  translated for non italian speakers. In Provvidenza there are also two TV shows spoofs  which get lost on non italian viewers.   

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #55 : August 14, 2005, 10:31:31 AM »

I agree that the Providence tune is entertaining.  And there is a great sequence with a pool table (if I remember correctly).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #56 : May 28, 2006, 11:30:33 AM »

ACE HIGH will be showing on BBC1 on 11/11/04 at 12.20.
Set your videos!

Its on BBC2 tonight at midnight but i guess we're get the same miserable print as before-shouldn't really complain because these sw screenings are a rare event!

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #57 : May 28, 2006, 05:00:52 PM »

Yes, i expect its the same copy but i will tape it all the same.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #58 : August 01, 2006, 12:08:18 PM »

Seen today after 35 years Ace High (but maybe I had caught it on TV in the '80's). I think it is important only because this is the real inspiration for the Trinity movies. Spencer is in many poiints very much his future self. Plot is forgettable, Wallach is Tuco-like but can't do much. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #59 : August 01, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »

agreed  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines